1984 (Book/Movie)

Surprised nobody’s discussed Orwell’s nightmare yet on here.

Whether it be the movie or the book, it doesn’t matter here.

so, c’mon, discuss the feel-good novel of the century, guys!

1 Like

That was a good book. I could say it was really profound but that’s rather obvious. Overall I was just really impressed both with Orwell’s style and with the story he chose to tell.

Ha. Ha ha.

Oh man, this, along with Jekyll and Hyde, are probably my favourite books. I personally enjoyed trying to figure out how Eurasia, EastAsia, and Oceania had come into being, and how the world had come unto the state it was in for the better part of the book. That is, until we were told by Goldstein’s diary entries. I had high expectations going into the book, and it crushed those expectations up beneath it’s heel like Oceania crushes traitors. It was just so, so great!

1 Like

One of my favorite books, although you may have guessed that already.

However I must admit, I threw it across the room upon first finishing it. That ending hurts, like a lot.

yep. one nice and swift kick to the varicose ulcer on your acle. Humans can be worse than cthulhu, amirite?

Anyways, my own thoughts on the book is that it’s doubleplusgood, with my feelings after it being doubleplusungood.

let’s just say i feel kinda… rattled, to say the least.

doesn’t help that i watched the movie with ma. eugh.

I’ve only read this book once and that was five years ago. It made me so depressed I haven’t picked it up since.

I should read it again.

2 Likes

Read it last year after Animal Farm. I’m betting that, like Animal Farm, I’m going to have to read it again for school.

Anyways, fantastic book. Enjoyed the more subtle worldbuilding, and the fact that the story is both an anecdote and a complete account of living in total control made it absolutely fantastic. Orwell is great in general, so it’s not like it was unexpected.

Also, its context was reused for the Mac, and that commercial is just as great (and another factor in the Mac’s explosion in popularity):

1 Like