Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

I don’t think the implication is that Faber is intentionally setting us up for disappointment. But things happen. Project concepts get scrapped in favor of other things, companies decide to take safe bets over risks; there are really any number of ways this could end up not happening despite our and even Faber’s wishes.

So yes, we have reason to be hopeful, even cautiously optimistic. But getting excited over what we have so far isn’t quite justified, and people who are going to do so should be willing to accept that they might be getting excited over nothing.

For context, I’d place myself among the group of people getting excited about what might be coming. It’s fun having something new to get hyped about, and I’m ready for something awesome to come out of this. Still, we need to be realistic about how things might actually play out.

11 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better.

This whole hype train thing started a little after I last commented on this thread, and I am a bit disappointed in seeing it get a little too out of hand. I haven’t commented since because truthfully I’m waiting.

Yes, it is exciting that after all these years we are finally getting some interest and support from a guy very high up in the involvement chain for Bionicle back in the day. It’s exciting and fun to see new things, and while I have always been supportive of whatever it is Faber is doing, I’ve also always been realistic about it.

As the cast has said multiple times, Faber doesn’t have the greatest record when it comes to following through (I relate, honestly). And that’s just the reality of it. He’s not getting paid to do this, there are no deadlines really, this is something he has an idea for, but can really afford to let go at any time.

All we’ve seen so far are some promising ideas, but ideas are all they really are. It is promising, and the possible prospects are exciting, but as of right now there is nothing to really be “hype” about.

The best we can do right now is sit and wait for something to actually be made known. We can joke all we want about what things might be hidden in a canister lid, but don’t go around saying Bionicle is coming back, and do not be on the hype train.

It’s the equivalent of someone throwing a few pieces of coal back into the train engine. The train moves maybe a few feet, and the guy doing it might keep putting coal in, but we don’t know. So don’t sit on the train shouting “THE TRAIN IS MOVING AGAIN!” when it hasn’t really gone anywhere yet.

14 Likes

And I am just sitting here reading all of you discussing everything.

6 Likes

My two cents on the direction this is all going and where it should go in the future. Please share the message.

-Mesonak

15 Likes

Great video. Also @Mesonak , this is meant to be a discussion page.

I’m not making this a “BIONICLE IS BACK GUYS” Post. More of a discussion on Faber and the project in general.

You’ve mentioned some comments from here, and in no way do I want this post to be a hype train post. When an official reveal comes from The Lego Group, This can become a hype train post.

3 Likes

This is the biggest “wait and see” we’ve had since G2 flopped. Nothing more nothing less. I’m disappointed to see eljay overreacting to something so unavoidable in such a scenario, and I’m disappointed in seeing how it seems he’s already made up his mind about this. I won’t go on a long speech about all my thoughts on this. But I’d say just give it waaaaaay more time before you make any assumptions on what this actually is. I guess that statement goes for the whole community.

6 Likes

All teaser pictures have been posted at the top of the post for convenience sake. Will do this every time one is posted here.

2 Likes

You’re fine man, the comments I referenced in the video have been seen equally on places like Reddit too (cept the hilarious Skrall shield memage, that was solely here).

I don’t bring it up to shame anybody or make people feel like fools for reading into stuff, I do it more to highlight how the cryptic nature of Faber’s posts is leading people down this path of speculation and reading too much into things. If we were being given concrete details or learning about his plans in a normal way, there’d be no reading into anything.

-Mesonak

13 Likes

So I haven’t really commentated on this until now, but I kind of want to get my two cents in. While I would love for Bionicle to come back again headed by one of the original creators, I have my doubts that it would actually happen. As others have said, at this point all these “teasers” are, are basically just concept art for a possible idea, not something that, at least at this point, is actually going to happen. At this point, it’s basically a wait and see what happens scenario. I’m not getting on the train until I know its destination. I don’t want to get on it, only for it to suddenly derail.

Also, this kind of reminds me of an animated tv series that tried to do a similar thing to get a reboot. That was Galactic Kids Next Door, a possible sequel to the original Kids Next Door series which aired on Cartoon Network back in the mid-2000s. It was also run by its original creator, Tom Warburton and had a website which hid a little animated short to try and build up hype, which it did. However, when Warburton went to pitch the idea to Cartoon Network, they rejected his idea in favor of other shows and the series never came to fruition. That’s why I’m kinda skeptical about this succeeding, as it could easily fall to a similar fate.

12 Likes

Or, as my friend told me, it could just be 310N

5 Likes

So you bring many valid posts in your video and I’m in no way arguing about the fact that the community in general should take two steps back. Though I will say that there is nothing wrong about getting exited over something. However as you said we need to be sceptical about this but when I listens to this I can’t stop feeling that you have a little too harsh approach. What I mean is that you seem to stress to much on telling people not to get excited/hyped. Again scepticism is needed but showing hype and excitment can help show that there’s intrest still in a line such as bionicle. As I’ve said there’s nothing wrong with getting excited as long as it’s moderate and viewed with scepticism. That’s my two cents on this.

8 Likes

That’s… An oxymoron. You can’t be calmly hyped; that’s not how that word is defined in modern culture.

Let’s pretend this isn’t Faber for a second. Who would care? He’s banking everything in this on his name being enough to propel it forward, and his connections to Cryoshell giving it that extra oomph.

…But he has been planning this for a good while, it seems. Possibly more than just a few months. Wait and see - something the community evidently isn’t very good at.

6 Likes

I’d personally advocate for everyone to be indifferent. Skepticism is a bit too negative for what this is (or isn’t). Everyone should be sitting on a metaphorical fence, without leaning to one side or the other, looking out toward the horizon.

4 Likes

I’m just excited that there is something Bionicle. Whether or not it’s coming back I have to wait and see.

Here’s a thought, what if it came back, but in the form of Mixel-figs? Well-done ones, of course.

3 Likes

All things considered, Faber’s doing SOMETHING. We have no way to know what it is or how it will be presented to us, but something’s happening with Bionicle. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting excited so long as we’re realistic. This isn’t an official G3; even if Faber has something he intends to pitch to Lego and he wants to gauge public reception beforehand to back himself up, which I personally doubt but whatever, Lego can always shoot it down for any reason.

That said, Bionicle’s getting attention in some shape or form, and that’s gonna help keep it alive in some capacity. It could suck, whatever it is; but anything could. Let’s all just be cautiously optimistic for now and wait until we know what’s even happening to pass judgment on whether it’s good or bad or worth getting hyped for or what; and by no means does this warrant another massive hype train.

10 Likes

Well, this is certainly a predicament.

Part of me wants to believe that this thing that means so much to me could come back, and be incredible, with whatever it may be. And yet at the same time I am dreading that it will just break my heart again…

2 Likes

Another “update”.

“fabframes
B is a mindset. A quest for mystery and adventure. The future is an open ocean. Everything is out there and you set the course. This is not an attempt to dictate or make a takeover of everything you know from the past. It is to inspire thinking ahead. The future is my client and these are legendary times with great possibilities and I am going to sail the deep waters. I don’t want to tell you the destination. It is already in your mind. #14B2020

https://www.instagram.com/fabframes/p/BwelAO0nMhc/

17 Likes

look guys it’s more rust

13 Likes

kinda makes sense that Faber would emphasize the Toa canisters, as those were his invention (and presumably no one has any idea what the Toa inside would look like.)

2 Likes

Man. He really is an incredible artist.

2 Likes