Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

:b: is a mindset.

I told you guys, this is gonna be an educational theme. Don’t be surprised if “Tahu teaches typing” drops in a few days.

18 Likes

I just thought of something

What if this is a line of LEGO-compatible action figures?

Hear me out, it’s not like Bionicle. It’s actual action figures which utilize existing LEGO elements as armour, like a proper action figure would (I’m thinking some of those Halo action figures from a couple years back).

Yeah probably everyone would hate it but I’d buy it

4 Likes

It is not that. At this moment, it is nothing more than a concept (barely that as well), and toys do not seem to be the focus in any capacity.

4 Likes

Oh look, on the tip of the canister, there’s another Skrall shield.

Also, it looks like the rocks spell out j o n. Could he be involved?

~W12~

6 Likes

Just gonna post this here. Make of it what you will.

15 Likes

He pretty much said “Yeah but it’s cool”:joy:

5 Likes

At this point i’m just gonna believe that Faber is just making a philosophical book that uses Bionicle-like imagery.

“The fading of a Heartlight, and how i learned to move on.”

8 Likes

I don’t wanna study for my finals so it’s time for my opinion. yay

There’s nothing inherently wrong with hype even for something unlikely/ethereal, as long as you understand that. I was incredibly hyped for the announced Alan Wake TV series which looks dead at this point. But I went into it knowing it was a long shot. I wasn’t “destroyed” because one of my favorite video games wasn’t getting some kind of revival and I don’t agree that this 3IONICLE project not happening would “destroy” the community as some have suggested.

The worst thing to come of this is that Faber will have laid out some ideas and philosophical/metaphorical blurbs. Because that’s what he is: an ideas man. He is not a writer but a concept artist. So let’s all appreciate this for what it is: a man who we all respect sharing ideas, pictures, and words. Get excited for whatever form this may end up taken. Have some notion of skeptical hype. The future is an open ocean! (to quote Fabes himself)

10 Likes

As for recent developments, eh. I knew from the begining there was almost no way we’d get anything substantial from this outside of a new story.

Personally the thing I love most about this isn’t the art or the potential.

It’s the fact that it’s managed to breath new life into the Bionicle community when it was seaming to fade.

And even if we never get anything more than some philosophy and cool art, we still have more substantial projects being made right now that show real promise. Bionicle Iliad for example. Or all of the artists and video makers that are still making great content for a property that’s almost two decades old. Even if what Faber is doing doesn’t amount to much, it isn’t the end of the world.

7 Likes

I think part of the reason some of us are so quick to encourage cautious optimism is because of the fact that we’ve been through this before and it has, in fact, damaged the fandom.

When G1 ended there were a whole troupe of people who, for lack of a better phrase, gathered pitchforks against anyone who said Bionicle isn’t going to come back/shouldn’t come back right away. Then G2 happened, and you had a split in the community between people who thought G2 sucked and people who’d never experienced G1, which was going to happen no matter what but still happened relatively quickly after the end of G1. Then you have all the fan projects that have popped up over the years, and the sheer level of pettiness we can all get to over those projects, especially when some of them make claims that are so far outside the realm of what’s possible that it isn’t even funny - right up until they start attacking people for criticizing their work.

And now you have Faber, who for better or worse is a known entity in our fandom, but what he brings to the table right now is on the same level as those fan projects. And the last thing we need is for the same disappointment people felt over G2 and what It could have been to hit so soon after with a “potential” G3/reboot. The fandom can only be teased for so long before people lose interest in reboots that never happen, thus solidifying the lack of interest in reboots as a whole.

At least by checking expectations we can calmly and rationally go into this knowing that something could happen, but it’s more likely nothing will, and in doing so not feel betrayed if nothing happens. Cause there really is nothing worse than hyping yourself up for something only for it to A: Never actually happen (READ: Amory Wars Movie/TV Show or Halo Movie) or B: Be a complete disappointment when it does (READ: Halo TV Show.)

6 Likes

We should be grateful that the final sets we got were sets that raised the bar for form, functions, and constraction for G2, unlike the final sets we got for G1.

The only downside was that we didn’t get the Vahi or the Kraahkan for G2. :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah sorry, forgot to use my eyes to look at it.[quote=“MaximusPrimal, post:232, topic:48962”]
And even if we never get anything more than some philosophy and cool art, we still have more substantial projects being made right now that show real promise. Bionicle Iliad for example
[/quote]

Yo thanks

Hopefully people won’t assume we jumped into existence right after Faber started posting cuz that’d be bad.[quote=“Kini_Hawkeye, post:233, topic:48962”]
Then you have all the fan projects that have popped up over the years, and the sheer level of pettiness we can all get to over those projects, especially when some of them make claims that are so far outside the realm of what’s possible that it isn’t even funny - right up until they start attacking people for criticizing their work.
[/quote]

Yeah

I’d like to say that you’re just making up nonsense right now, but you’re absolutely right. And nobody is more pettily defensive of a project than the ones working in it, who believe in the impossible without making sure they can spell it. Iliad’s been in contact with some of the larger fan projects out there, and a few of them were so vicious over their concepts and superiority it was impossible to do anything with them. I won’t name names for their sake.[quote=“Kini_Hawkeye, post:233, topic:48962”]
At least by checking expectations we can calmly and rationally go into this knowing that something could happen, but it’s more likely nothing will
[/quote]

On the contrary, I’m sure something will happen. No it’s not out of blind hype, but because of Faber. He’s the granddaddy of Bionicle concepts. He laid out the rules for the universe, and while he didn’t really write inside of them, he defined the setting and theme of each set wave and the overarching story. And as you can see here, the mere mention of him doing something is enough to make fans go completely overboard.

He’s also somebody with connections. I believe Faber’s been working on something like this since a good while earlier, possibly the start of last year. He’s determined to make something come of this. But he’s no longer allied with LEGO, which means unless he can convince LEGO to give him some kind of legal leniency (unless the BION is just a part of the original and the name is actually totally different, like BionParty or something) then LEGO will - not may, will - shut him down so quick he’ll have no room to recover.

If he’s really telling the truth that he and LEGO haven’t gotten anywhere yet, I think it’s going to happen, and not before long.[quote=“TheToaZanu, post:231, topic:48962”]
So let’s all appreciate this for what it is: a man who we all respect sharing ideas, pictures, and words. Get excited for whatever form this may end up taken. Have some notion of skeptical hype. The future is an open ocean! (to quote Fabes himself)
[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. And I wouldn’t shut down discussion of “what if it was this” because it leads to even more fan creations if this project goes under… Or maybe when. Who knows.

Power to you, Faber. Make sure you can stand.

7 Likes

I think “B” isn’t literally Bionicle, given this and other things Faber has said. It may be the same thing under a different name, a spiritual successor, or something we haven’t thought of; but I think we can expect it to be a pretty obvious ripoff that just barely stands on its own. Either way, I’m definitely interested.

6 Likes

Sitting back to try to gauge all this and I got a couple of stances on this. I don’t believe the approach via social media to try to gauge interest on BIONICLE isn’t an effective indicator as 1) all the people on social media that were interested in BIONICLE would amount to the same amount of people on social media that were interested in BIONICLE back when G2 ended.

And I’m still not sure what is Faber’s hope and intent for us in participating. It sounds like he’s hoping to build a backing in fan participation along the likes of Brickonicle.

5 Likes

Hey, BTW guys, look at the top of the canister in the latest pic. Could just be another “IS THAT A SKRALL MAZE” moment, but there looks to be a Matoran letter there–either E or M, depending on the orientation. It may stand for the occupant’s name, which would mean new characters.

3 Likes

This was drawn back in 2016, I doubt it really effects what Faber’s planning now. Unless he’s been planning it since then, which is possible.

8 Likes

A rebel adventure…

I still think it’s something to do with Rebel Nature

2 Likes
3 Likes

“Evolution is a game of chance. Ready for the surface? #14b2020

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwwvAj_nWuo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
This looks interesting!

16 Likes

The art is definetely great

4 Likes