Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

So you’re saying Lego just straight-up lied? It’s not inconceivable, but without any concrete evidence to prove that poor sales are why G2 was cancelled when there is evidence to the contrary, you’re really just speculating.

5 Likes

‘Average’ is not good! It was cancelled early! Of course they aren’t going to say it sold well because it lasted shorter than the plan, but Lego can’t say it sold badly! And ‘no concrete evidence’? Like I said, it was planned for THREE YEARS!

1 Like

It’s not bad either.

To keep it from becoming less than average.

”You either die an appreciated LEGO theme or live long enough to see yourself become hated.”

Why not? The theme’s over, none of the sets are on shelves, it’s not like they’ll lose money by saying they didn’t make a whole lot of money.

But there are many, many reasons to cancel something besides sales. G1 was still selling fairly well before it was canceled.

In the end, this is truly just a battle between pessimism, healthy skepticism, hopefulness, and unrealistic expectations.

7 Likes

It’s also not abysmal, either. In fact, it’s how G1 ended.

And we can only guess as to why until more evidence comes up, because we have nothing to go on except Lego’s official statement.

And they didn’t, they said it sold average. They could have just said nothing, like they normally do. It might have simply been on a downward trend, or even just not growing in popularity like they wanted it to.

Prove me wrong by providing some.

And there are probably countless potential reasons why it didn’t, any of which could have been the ultimate cause. Again, there’s really no proof that Lego lied about Bionicle’s sales, so there’s only speculation; and based on history, Lego was just trying to keep the line viable for the future.

You act like Bionicle is dead forever when your only justification for thinking that is that G2 was cut short. Promoting that mentality will only reduce the chances that it comes back with the right team behind it who’s going to use their hindsight to make a really good reboot. You’re basically doing the antithesis of what Faber’s doing, which is counterintuitive to this thread’s topic.

5 Likes

I’m hopeful that we at least get web novels with those wonderful Faber art concepts. That’d be really neat!

13 Likes

So what you are saying is that LEGO cut short G2 just so it doesn’t lose sales? I dunno if that is the case or not, but believing that LEGO lied when they said it sold “average” was what the community believed ever since it’s cancellation. So yeah, comming up with new theories now, when people have already established in their mind that G2 was a disaster as a fact, it’s kinda hard to convince them otherwise.
That is why so many people here are so skeptical about Faber’s project, and don’t really want to support him. Heck, even Eljay doesn’t think this project will succeed for the same reason.

3 Likes

That’s the best thing to hope for. I’d be 100% down with web novels.

12 Likes

I’d love a story-driven line instead of a toyline, honestly. BIONICLE would be able to flourish like never before.

12 Likes

I mean, optimally we’d have both, but I’d definitely take story over sets. We can MOC G3 toa.

9 Likes

Seeing how canisters will return… I don’t see how that would make sense in the story when originally they were meant to be just a toy packaging.[quote=“Sabretooth, post:354, topic:48962, full:true”]
I mean, optimally we’d have both, but I’d definitely take story over sets. We can MOC G3 toa
[/quote]

I mean yeah, but we will miss out on a lot of cool parts.

5 Likes

But what reason would they have to lie? The only reason they would would be to keep sales up, but the line is canceled, so it doesn’t matter anyways. Or, on a more hopeful note, the reason they would have lied would be to keep the community’s support in order to create a third generation.

I don’t like putting words in other people’s mouths, but it sounded to me that the reason he didn’t believe it was coming back was because Faber was in no position to bring it back, hence the whole “if I was the voice actor for Lewa…” analogy.

What do you mean? Are you referring to the artwork?

6 Likes

Yes, the artwork.

1 Like

In case you’ve forgotten, the original inspiration for the whole Mata Nui robot thing was based on Christian Faber imagining the pills he was taking for whatever brain complication he was suffering from (it’s not coming to me at the moment and looking for it looks to be quite tedious) as containing “little warriors” that would fight off the disease and bring him back to health.

Both in concept and story-relevance they were a little bit more than just toy packaging (that’s not to say it might’ve been somewhat inspired by how the roboriders canisters looked): why wouldn’t the guy who came up with the idea in the first place honour that symbolism that probably represents a fundamental aspect of Bionicle to him personally with whatever new idea he may or may not have?

I also can’t seem to find a source for that, so I may be wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

If I remember correctly it was a brain tumor he had at the time.

As for the rest of this discussion I’m just gonna say that maybe it is not time for the hype train yet we should still look forward to what might come out of this. Faber is planning something big but we don’t know what so all we really can do is support him in his endeavours and hope it comes to fruition.

9 Likes

I thought so, but I definitely wanted to make sure first, which I could not :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m saying we can’t know the exact cause for premature cancellation, we can only speculate based on what happened to G1.

The popularity of a belief does not equal its validity. Once upon a time, most people thought the world was flat; but then some scientists–I believe Greek?–measured shadows at different times of day and realized everyone was wrong and the planet had to be curved.

inb4 the FES jumps in

That’s kind of a ridiculous assumption to make when we don’t even know what the project is and it’s clearly gaining support from fans. It could just be a fanfic for all we know; though getting Cryoshell on board probably took a little moolah, so I dunno. Could be a dating sim for all we know.

8 Likes

Just out of curiosity, do you think this project will succeed or not? (I want your honest opinions)

• The Project will Succeed
  • The Project will not Succeed

0 voters

2 Likes

i would personally add a third option of “i don’t think it will succeed… but i don’t think it will fail either.”

9 Likes

I’ll answer this poll when I know what exactly Faber’s doing, because we currently have no way to gauge what “success” means for this. Is he gonna try to make money off of it? Is this just a passion project? What are his goals? What medium is he using? There’s too many unknowns for now.

10 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. Really, for now I want to give him support just to indicate that there are still people out there interested in seeing new Bionicle content, regardless of what it might be. The more support we give him, the more likely he is to take this further and quite possibly reveal exactly what he’s planning to do.

Or at least give more of an idea than he currently is.

6 Likes