Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

I think “leap of faith” seems to imply that whether this goes ahead or not is ultimately out of his hands. This leads me to believe he may be pitching something to Lego, and the leap of faith would be him handing it over and waiting for their response.

I may be reading to much into it though; I would love a, fully endorsed by Lego, Bionicle project or even a possible G3 line of sets.

6 Likes

I would love it if they had them being a mix of G1 + ccbs like the 2016 of G2.

2 Likes

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SamePoliticalBlackandtancoonhound-size_restricted.gif

faber stoppp

Everything Faber posts is starting to make me more and more excited. Though it’s still a little early, I’m getting that same giddy, excited, kiddy feeling looking at this that G1 gave me almost two decades ago, and that’s super telling.

I’m still questioning Lego’s potential future involvement in this, and the possibility of a toyline, but if Faber pulls off at least even writing a story with these characters, I’d be stoked.

7 Likes

Guys, just remember, it doesn’t have to be dark and edgy. But it must be deep.

2 Likes

@TDPrince It would be interesting to see them have a stab at that style again.

I may be in the minority here but I actually thought the 2016 Uniters were a step down from the Masters. Sure, the 2015 Masters were a huge departure from the G1 sets, but I felt like they had a certain style to them and were more consistent in terms of quality than 2016. Kinda off topic but I just felt like sharing since they were brought up.

4 Likes

Fair enough. But, regardless, we know that they will probably use CCBS.

1 Like

Oh definitely; I don’t see them investing money into an entirely new system or even considering going back to the original Slizer / Bionicle parts. Only exception to CCBS would be if they decided on going with minifigs / entirely brick build.

Given the current state of CCBS and constraction sets in general, this is by far the most likely option, if we even get sets to begin with.

1 Like

I agree overall, but a waist joint is so huge that it’s kinda hard for me to hate the Uniters. Still, you’re right, the style was jankier, those crystal blades were overused, the construction was just esoteric in some spots (what happened with Lewa and Pohatu’s shoulders???), and Pohatu’s color scheme was probably the worst any brown set has ever had; and Onewa Metru literally looked like a blob of poop with broken war picks, so that’s saying something.

2 Likes

@SirKeksalot I’d have appreciated the waist joint if it wasn’t that builds standard ‘gear function’ and replaced the far more interesting gearbox. Had they made that simply a giant friction joint and carried over the gearbox, I feel like the sets would have felt a lot more complete IMO. I know it would interfere with the uniting feature, but I feel like that really hurt the quality of the individual Toa and I’d take a gearbox & more complete set over a unification feature that gets me to spend another £7 per Toa to make them feel complete.

@MaxinePrimal It’s a shame constraction only themes have gone the way of the Dodo; still, a brick based Bionicle line could still be awesome visually (especially given the quality of Lego’s prints); but like you said, that’s if we even get sets at all.

7 Likes

I need to know what this BIONICLE reboot is going to be now.

8 Likes

Whatever it is, I want it to be something new and different. Something that’s still clearly Bionicle, but doesn’t try to retread G1 with minor changes like G2 tried to do.

That’s what a good reboot should be. Faithful and recognizable to the original, but at the same time fresh and different.

5 Likes

I can wholeheartedly agree with that. I would rather have something both faithful, but original when compared to the original work.

3 Likes

I guess I’m an AFOL now… jeez.

I am hopeful constraction makes a comeback and this is getting a lot more interesting with the “ON” post.

3 Likes

We’ll definitely be discussing this in-depth on the TTV Podcast, so look forward to that. My advice to everyone involved would be to keep your expectations firmly in check. Faber could have the greatest pitch ever for BIONICLE, with a superb story and awesome art… and in the end, it’s not up to him whether it gets produced as a LEGO theme.

I think we should all prepare ourselves for three potential possibilities WHILE STILL giving Faber our full support and pushing for a BIONICLE revival:

1. LEGO rejects BIONICLE G3 and Faber does his own “fan-project” for BIONICLE that continues/reboots the theme without LEGO sets.

2. LEGO rejects BIONICLE but approves a NEW theme with a NEW name… that still has similar aesthetics/theming to BIONICLE. It’s a successor, but as close to a continuation as we’ll get.

3. LEGO rejects BIONICLE and Faber isn’t allowed to continue the theme on his own because of legal trademarks, ergo he’s forced to make a new creative project with a new name and new characters that ISN’T BIONICLE… but with Faber’s influence and what would surely be similar themes, it could be the closest thing we could get to BIONICLE in the modern era, just without LEGO sets.

The beauty of this whole development is that they are ALL exciting prospects. There’s nothing to lose by supporting Faber and hoping for the best outcome… SO LONG as we don’t automatically hope for the world. There’s a very real chance this may not turn out to the BIONICLE we would all LIKE to return… but it may be something equally interesting. :smiley:

-Mesonak

25 Likes

Points at Transformers G1, Beast Wars, Unicron Trilogy, Animated, and Prime
You were saying?

It’s not that it can’t continue on indefinitely in new forms. Its just that they made, quite frankly, stupid decisions for BIONICLE G2 that were just as nonsensical as the decisions made for Transformers G2.

Some of you might not be old enough to have experienced this, but the sour taste in your mouth is from G2 being handled poorly, and you’re mistaking that for BIONICLE itself not being an IP with limitless potential. People thought the same with the watered down poor excuse Transformers G2 was. They also thought the franchise and ideas from it had run its course in terms of sustainability and enjoyability. Beast Wars proved two things: the franchise had staying power, and you can connect convoluted canon from a previous generation to a new one and have it work out in your favor commercially (Beast Wars was a sequel/prequel to Transformers G1)

7 Likes

At this point, my room for excitement is mostly reserved for the new Avengers movie. But after seeing that movie, I am pretty sure this will be the thing that single handedly takes over.

Whatever this turns out to be, as long as it is something beyond just a concept, will be my only Bionicle premiere that I am present for. Back in 2001, I was 6, and only saw Bionicle in a Lego catalog. It didn’t really stick with me, until my mom bought me and my brother all the Bohrok Va, and the rest was history. Childhood and early teens consumed. Back in 2014/15 I had checked out oon all things Lego for a few years, being a young adult doing adult things. Got into it again summer of 2016, mainly through Bionicle and some of the CCBS SW figures. Well, that didn’t last long, as G2 was cancelled quite litteraly 3 weeks after I went out to buy Tahu Uniter and Umarak the Destroyer.

Now we are here. Like I said, right now I’m trying to not get too excited. But whatever happens, I will be on board. I’m kinda getting butterflies thinking about it, so it’s not going well containing myself. My first Bionicle premiere might be ahead. Bring it.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, totally agreed. But be thankful that Bionicle G2 had a story. TF G2 reused the original cartoon with out-of-place cgi transistions.

3 Likes

I can’t think of a better interpretation of that, but it seems odd that Faber would tease something that isn’t confirmed to even happen with a solid date, especially one that’s still nearly a year away.

Either way, my excitement is building now. I think the new frame of the logo confirms the belief that the techno-design behind the word BIONICLE is a version of the island of Mata Nui–the shape seems to fit. It’s heartening to see that Faber still has such a great love for BIONICLE, enough to potentially approach LEGO with an idea he thinks might work for the line. Crossing my fingers that something comes from this, even if it’s just more art and some story ideas!

8 Likes

What if they have been working on this all along…