Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Faber’s Cryptic post, as seen in the latest TTV Video.

DO NOT MAKE THIS A HYPE TRAIN POST
DO NOT.

42 Likes

Well, I’ve seen the video, so if in fact it is him trying to get a new Bionicle project underway, I can only say that I can only be excited for what happens.

Though honestly, I think it’s a pretty cool piece of art to begin with.

11 Likes

Agreed. He seems to be taking Bionicle into more of a sci-fi style. It didn’t work well in G1 imo because it took away from the style of the original trilogy. But it can work, if implemented from the start.

6 Likes

I’d personally love to see kinda the reverse of what they did with Metru Nui being the total sci-fi place and Mata Nui being a fantasy place.

7 Likes

While this is pretty awesome to see (though the date is a little highly suspect™), I’m not entirely sure how I’d feel seeing Bionicle be rebooted a third time. Like, there’s only so many times you can retry something before it just becomes a tired attempt, and it’s not like G2 did that well, either.

I guess all I can do is just wait and watch while being silently hyped. A Bionicle return is a Bionicle return, after all; just hope that, if and when it happens, it’s handled a lot better than G2 without playing it too safe and/or clinging too heavily on nostalgia - regardless of it being a G1 continuation or G3.

Cheers, lads. :beers:

11 Likes

I can agree with that, though honestly I’ve seen franchises rebooted a lot more than this, and while it’s slightly disheartening to be an older fan of the franchise, it’s always nice to see new people get interested or old fans get reinvested in the franchise.

Cheers :beers:

9 Likes

You forget Transformers. A classic example of “Third time’s the charm”. G1 was a success. G2, a flop. Beast Wars gained back some of the success, even among fan backlash at the start.

Faber is essentially trying to do Bionicle: Beast Wars.

We need the fan based to be supportive, not angry, as in the case with early days for BW.

(YE I am a TF fan)

7 Likes

I’m weary of the date, however I’m excited for the possibility

7 Likes

3/10 or the date on Faber’s post?

1 Like

The latter. F-Dog’s post was posted on April Fools.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t he have already said by now that it was April Fools if it was though?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

A few moments ago I saw that Vahkiti posted this on Twitter yesterday regarding the whole thing.
https://twitter.com/Vahkiti/status/1113213409171054593

There’s something that might happen, but isn’t happening right now, basically.

11 Likes

Does the sci-fi mean we could see a HeroFactory crossover

I, for one, would be indescribably elated if something happened, because, as I’ve said numerous times, I would love to enjoy Bionicle while it’s actually alive…

I would also be interested in a new cast of characters, just saying.

5 Likes

Faber is European
Timestamps in America are month, day, year
Elsewhere it’s day, month, year
October 3rd, 2019

BUT HEY
THAT’S JUST A THEORY

6 Likes

Well I hope this gets off the ground. As for sets I don’t have high hopes consider how much respect g2 got on legos side.

2 Likes

Pretty much how I feel, to be honest. G2 wasn’t exactly handled too well, so I’m a bit skeptical whether or not this’ll spawn yet another Bionicle constraction line if it becomes a thing. I’m not sure whether or not G2’s failure was due to sales, but if it was, then I’m not sure if retailers are gonna want to give Bionicle another chance after failing its second go-around.

7 Likes

What if this is like super sci-fi Bionicle. Like Bionicle in space. Well more in space than previous bonkle.

6 Likes

@Kardax I could see that; planets instead of islands, maybe a plot point of the toa team getting used to different cultures and / or having to switch from sci-fi to a more fantasy powers, etc.

@Chedzu I’m not sure about the retail side but judging off the art book the design team had some great ideas; it’s just that lego made the toys too expensive for kids and the story and characters weren’t interesting enough, not to mention the fact that it was online and Netflix exclusive so no general audiance that wanted them after seeing an ad on tv. Even elves had a better series and story then JTO and the bionicle g2 shorts.

And don’t even get me started on the nonexistant advertising; it’s like lego themselves wanted it to fail like it did.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

6 Likes

So yeah, G2 was something and I respect it, but it was LEGO who mishandled it. If G3 ever becomes a thing, that I hope they will learn from the mistake and make it the way they should have been.

2 Likes

Mishandling is an understatement.

2 Likes