Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Isn’t it weird? Almost no one is on from 8-10 PM for more than a few minutes, then, by morning, I’ve got a flood of notifications.

1 Like

Yeah.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

I don’t think this will truly lead to anything, because Rebel Nature hasn’t really led to anything. Planet Ripple has done more that Rebel Nature, for goodness’ sake. Hope delayed makes the heart sick, or in this case, a fandom surely disappointed and at its breaking point.

2 Likes

yay! another reader!

Agreed. that’s what I’ve been trying to get to. I think we’re all to hyped up on this.

I’m not hyped, and I certainly haven’t been of late. Nothing’s going on :stuck_out_tongue:

If and when he actually says something I will afford the possibility of being excited.

3 Likes

Same here. My hype for this thing died down stupidly fast.

2 Likes

Me too. At first, I was a little excited, “oh! what’s he doing? Are we getting G3? What’s going on! I guess we’ll see!” Now, I’m not really excited, just confused.

5 Likes

lol, that was comment 666

3 Likes

It’s the apocalypse! The Bio community apocalypse!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I mean, TTV had a theory that Faber was doing this to be put into a good position with LEGO, which would get him more money. It’s not directly from 3I0N.

3 Likes

I find this theory stupid.

4 Likes

I fail to see how riling up the fanbase of a toyline they no longer sell would put Faber in good standing with Lego.

7 Likes

Agreed. I can see him capitalizing on the attention the Bio community gives him, but how does that put him in good standing with TLG?

5 Likes

is this ironic, because if not :thinking:

but uh yeah, good solid plans here, very excited to see what faber can come up with given the excellent pieces on Rebel Nature he’s pulled together recently. it’s a shame mentioning antarctica immediately brings up polar ice caps and then somehow that the fact that the earth is in fact warming to possible uninhabitability is now “questionable,” but err…

good teaser pieces, that canister sketch in particular is pretty neat stuff

2 Likes

Funny, people are still discussing the “Antarctica” thing when I happen across this Faber Files post from 2015.

A selection of concept art showing how the Island of Mata Nui took visual inspiration from Denmark (among other things).

Seems perfectly in-character for Faber to work off existing places to add an extra layer of meaning to his concepts.

9 Likes

Once again, you make an excellent point.

1 Like

precisely why we didn’t need to go off on a tangent, but also good pt.

1 Like

I think it’s very clear that it is, or at least some version of Bionicle.

Faber makes a point to mention Rebel Nature on anything related to it. It’s all branded. Meanwhile, every 14b2020 image is deliberately cryptic and makes no mention of Rebel Nature.

Let’s also not forget that we’ve seen specific Bionicle things: Toa bodies, canisters, islands, the darn logo even. He also never denies that it’s Bionicle when people comment about it, every reply he has made to a user is always another cryptic lead-on.

So it’s very, very safe to say it is a Bionicle. It was made very clear from the start that this isn’t going to be a G3 thing, and I don’t really see too many people on the Boards saying so anymore. It’s mostly the people on Instagram who don’t know about the larger community.

8 Likes

[quote=“PakariNation99, post:705, topic:48962”]
So it’s very, very safe to say it is a Bionicle.
[/quote] One lesson I have learned in life is that nothing is ever truly a safe bet, and comfort only comes from our cognitive understanding of reality. If you do not know the intentions behind why something is the way it is, then it never was a safe bet in the first place. What seems innocent may hide an unknown motive. Besides, you do not hide your motives unless you have something you do not want others to know.

I would personally urge caution. The questions I would ask are these: “Why is Faber being so cryptic about something that is little more than conceptual in nature, rather than upfront? Why has nothing materialized of his other project? What are good ways to draw attention to something you are about to launch?”

Many on here have stated that there would be no reason for Faber to promote Rebel Nature like this, but I fear the same lot of you have forgotten the most valuable lesson in advertising: any publicity is good publicity. If this were a minor stunt that accidentally became something more, Faber would still walk away with more attention towards a finished Rebel Nature in 2020 than he would if he had never riled up this fan base. Even if only one person says: “oh this is cool, I guess it is kinda like BIONICLE” he would be more successful than he would have been just promoting Rebel Nature on its own.

4 Likes

That’s more about the end result. That’s what needs the caution, yes. But to say this isn’t Bionicle related would be to disregard what we’ve already seen.

Or maybe Faber is just someone who really likes mystery, and mysterious stories. And he hasn’t been hiding his motives for anything, he just hasn’t told us what he’s actually doing.

This thread is filled with a lot of distrustful people I guess.

Also, I don’t think anyone has noticed this reply from Faber yet on the original post:

“…I must stress that I am not working on an official lego project. So there is no hidden launch date. I’m seing 2020 as a perfect chance to start looking forward instead of back. This is a future vision of what the legend has become. I will try to get as much interaction with the community as possible and then go for the funding. Maybe even the name has to Evolve😉”

Make of that what you will, Faber’s goals seem to have changed since then as he specifies in a later post the project is unfunded.

Also this one from his post on June 14:

“I would love to get creative people thinking about the near future scenario of building AI’s and Technology that might span time and space in new ways. What are we humans passing on and can we comprehend the effects.”

9 Likes

Normally I would agree, except he isn’t working off Antartica nearly as much as he is literally porting it over. With basically no alterations.[quote=“Tarvaax, post:706, topic:48962”]
any publicity is good publicity.
[/quote]

Maybe in concept…[quote=“Tarvaax, post:706, topic:48962”]
Even if only one person says: “oh this is cool, I guess it is kinda like BIONICLE” he would be more successful than he would have been just promoting Rebel Nature on its own.
[/quote]

Or he says or does something not necessarily appropriate in connection or defense of his 310N, the Bionicle Community is gravely offended, and it hurts his reputation, driving people away from him and Rebel Nature. Publicity is not always positive, especially in the vile, opinionated Bionicle fanbase.

Huh, come to think of it, wasn’t there someone in recent memory who did something and had publicity work against them inside the Bionicle community?

…Nah. Must have been my imagination.[quote=“Tarvaax, post:706, topic:48962”]
One lesson I have learned in life is that nothing is ever truly a safe bet, and comfort only comes from our cognitive understanding of reality. If you do not know the intentions behind why something is the way it is, then it never was a safe bet in the first place.
[/quote]

But if nothing is a safe bet, why bother?[quote=“Tarvaax, post:706, topic:48962”]
Why is Faber being so cryptic about something that is little more than conceptual in nature, rather than upfront? Why has nothing materialized of his other project? What are good ways to draw attention to something you are about to launch?
[/quote]

Faber has a long track record of being Faber. This is, again, him just being Faber, except now everyone’s watching.[quote=“PakariNation99, post:707, topic:48962”]
Or maybe Faber is just someone who really likes mystery, and mysterious stories. And he hasn’t been hiding his motives for anything, he just hasn’t told us what he’s actually doing.
[/quote]

You do have to admit, random person who is reading this topic and is not necessarily the person or persons I have quoted, that Faber being vague and mysterious has really made 310N a hot topic. Sounds like a pretty good publicity stunt. If this were any other fanbase every single one of us would be hooked.

What concerns me the most is something we’ve mostly forgotten which Pakari just reiterated:[quote=“PakariNation99, post:707, topic:48962”]
I will try to get as much interaction with the community as possible and then go for the funding.
[/quote]

He’s had very little interaction which, again, Faber will be Faber, but community funding? that’s a gigantic gamble. You have to tick every box for a large quantity of the admittedly insignificant Bionicle fanbase and if you’re ridiculously lucky maybe most of them will financially back you.

How many people here would be comfortable putting your money on the line that this is what you think it is?

4 Likes