Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Did he mention them specifically?

1 Like

Brilliant, I can see the children lining up at Lego stores to buy Logicalchro

Couldn’t watch the stream, but I’m pretty sure he did.

8 Likes

I don’t actually remember if he did or not. Like I said, he’s rather vague.

3 Likes

This gets even funnier for me as I met Chro at a convention 5 years ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Huh. Well, color me surprised then. I’d be even more surprised if they agreed to create an official Bionicle without an accompanying toy line, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

If things work out between him and Lego, they may wind up making products for it anyway, though if so I highly doubt it will be CCBS-based. More likely scenario, though, is that they aren’t interested, and he takes the pitch to someone else and we get the Spiritual Successor thing happening.

2 Likes

Personally I’m fine with Legally Distinct Bionicle. I can get very vocal about my appreciation for Faction Paradox, which is Legally Distinct Doctor Who, among other things.

3 Likes

Full version:

9 Likes

Yee, same here! I’m just interested to see how this will pan out, one way or another.

2 Likes

A story that was built from the ground up to sell a product, without a product that story is weakened considerably.

For reference, this was The LEGO Group’s official definition of the Bionicle brand in 2002, according to an interview conducted by the University of Copenhagen:

While Bionicle is not part of the LEGO brand, it is an endorsed brand, being LEGO’s intellectual property, and it incorporates the LEGO values: creativity, imagination, learning, fun, and quality. Thus, “When consumers see a Bionicle logo or an icon by the LEGO Brand they know what values are inherent and what to expect from the product” (The Bionicle Story, The LEGO Group, 2002:6). LEGO emphasises that symbolically the Bionicle story resembles the development of children on their way to adulthood, drawing on ideas of participation, cooperation and community building (The Bionicle Story, The LEGO Group, 2002). In particular, the idea of a community has played and continues to play a large role in the design of Bionicle. In fact, the notion of community is present in Bionicle in several ways and at several analytical levels.
Source: http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/EMTEL/conference/papers/Brincker.doc

Bionicle was designed to market and sell a product, but it was also built with educational/inspirational themes in mind. Bionicle does not need to be a toy, it can be a mythology based in new media; a technological mythology that can only be built by people- as in storytellers, or rather- chroniclers.

10 Likes

I remember making that exact joke (or hearing someone make that same joke) at least five years ago, probably six.

Anyway… have yet to watch the video… I gather the story is continuing without sets (at least CCBS sets)?

2 Likes

I gather the story is continuing without sets?

If you mean the G1 story, I doubt that is being continued. What Faber seems to be talking about is a spiritual successor that reinterprets the concept of a biological chronicle and what that means for the modern era, while staying true to the brand’s core values.

With that being said, Faber has emphasized the importance of fan involvement with the brand as it evolves, and nothing is stopping us from designing our own models and fleshing out the world based on his designs. No matter what the project turns out to be, the toy aspect can always be a part of it. In G1, major aesthetic and world building choices were thought up for toy marketing purposes, like the ability to swap and knockoff collectible masks. I think we should keep this in mind because Faber’s project is going to force all of us to find personal definitions for what we consider to be “real Bionicle,” or something else entirely.

10 Likes

Oh wow, awesome, finally!

Do people still think I’m crazy for believing there was something more to this?

Clearly there is still more to this. It’s a shame this virus has delayed whatever developments he had planned, but I’m glad he decided to give us what info he can now.

11 Likes

So here’s my two cents.

I think, at this point, if Bionicle were to come back, it would most definitely be a reboot. NOT a continuation of G1 or G2, or even a splicing of the two (because that would be weird). It would be G3. Yet another reboot, hopefully one that tries to fix the mistakes that its predecessors made.

As for Christian Faber? I’m willing to be patient. The images he’s shared with us so far are very promising, and I do hope that the final product (whatever it might be) will live up to the hype. But I’d rather wait a year to get an amazing story than have a crappy, cobbled-together story right this instant.

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-c-hfJJYau/

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Did Faber say anything in yesterday’s stream about whether LEGO will actually be involved in this project or not?

3 Likes

You can watch the stream for yourself if you want the answer to that question (personally I haven’t gotten around to it yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBBT9q2zJY&feature=emb_title

3 Likes

That’s a pretty cool promo picture. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay.

This is just confusing. I haven’t been on the platform for a while, and I’m being introduced to so many notifications on this post. So essentially, the rundown is “COVID-19 halted the plans for 3IONICLE or whatever he was planning?”

Honestly, I bet this has caused some fans to lose interest entirely. And for others to despair. And for others to continue hope. But whatever you feel, whether it was just a long, drawn-out lie, or simply the truth, We can all say that this has some measure of disappointment, even if some of us are hopeful.

I remember one time I did the “T-posing bonkle” meme once and one kid said, “Wasn’t Bionicle that failed lego thing a few years back?” (He was referring to G2). Kids who never grew up with Bionicle or Hero-Factory already see Constraction as a failed idea, a by-gone era. And talk of “COVID-19 halting further efforts from former Bionicle co-creator reviving the brand” is just going to further that notion of failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-vL6kiceGQ
1 Like

It’s hardly surprising, especially given how pretty much everything has come to a screeching halt. Not just Bionicle: TV, movies, games, many projects requiring large teams working in the same office/establishment/whatever have been postponed due to the virus.

7 Likes