Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

If I’m remembering correctly, he’s said that LEGO will be a group that “receives the invitation” or something along those lines. The way I’ve interpreted that is that he’ll see if LEGO would make something possibly inspired by his work, but I really don’t think he’s in it to pitch a new, fully-fleshed-out action theme to them.

5 Likes

I’ve personally always been of the opinion that the most Faber wants out of Lego is approval legal-wise, whatever form that might end up taking.

5 Likes

I’m not really sure there’s been much evidence for that conclusion. On the premise that this is to actually be Bionicle, yes, that would definitely be a logical conclusion; however, though Faber is constantly unclear on this point, it seems extremely unlikely that this will actually be Bionicle in anything but a purely conceptual sense.

3 Likes

He’s made it quite clear that it’s at least connected tangentially to it in some way (comparing the past of “B” to what it can be in the future), and it clearly has the attention of the BIONICLE fanbase. Obviously, whatever it is is going to be something incredibly different, but it’s definitely taking cues from what it means to him at the very least. To me it feels like it would make sense just to cover his rear and avoid legal action being taken against him should he accidentally cross a line in Lego’s eyes.

6 Likes

Yes, those are fair points, but again rest on an assumption that Faber’s actually making something besides concept art, which I doubt. “B” is just a mindset, as he’s said.

2 Likes

I appreciate the mentality, but can you tell me why he would be holding meetings and creating slide-show presentations for a project that is essentially just “do what I was already doing on Faber Files but now it’s new stuff instead”?

7 Likes

Well, the why of the meetings is hard to say when we have not idea as to the who of the meetings, but as I said for the possible intent of meeting with Lego (which we don’t actually know is even happening), it’s to get others on board to create works inspired by this campaign. As for the slide show, that was for the “fans” not for potential investors or anything. And his instagram is basically a replacement for the Faber Files blog, a place to post his concept art, unless I’m remembering incorrectly how the Faber Files worked.

2 Likes

He directly stated in the live that he would’ve originally used it in the meetings had those meetings gone forward.

Which is… what, exactly? An endless stream of concept art that goes nowhere? On Faber Files, he was digging up old stuff that he’d already made to show where Bionicle had come from, the behind the scenes development that shaped it into what we ended up seeing, and he’s been doing that for years. What difference does it make to ■■■■■ focus like this other than to build anticipation for something else? Concept art is by its very nature a precursor of things to come, that’s why it’s a concept. Why is he making concept art if there’s no concept?

8 Likes

I don’t thing so, actually? I just watched through it again and I didn’t hear him mention that, and the slideshow is basically just: #14B2020 hashtag, the diagram of “past” and “present” and “now” which he didn’t really explain and then the “evolution of storytelling” diagram which was quite interesting (and suggests he wants to move towards pure world-building).

Because it’s would be concept art as a starting point for whoever might chose to take part in his “journey”. I’m going a lot off of one of the posts he made where he said: “everything is out there and you set the course… It is to inspire thinking ahead… I don’t want to tell you the destination. It is already in your mind,” as well as his response to that fan comic and comments in the livestream about not having a canon, us “receiving the ticket” instead of receiving a product. In my mind that indicates that Faber doesn’t want to build something himself, he wants to provide inspiration to provoke creativity in others (including those he was planning on meeting with).

2 Likes

If he’s wanting to do something with Bionicle, then who else could he be meeting with besides Lego?[quote=“Makutros, post:1080, topic:48962”]
no classical villain, more rival characters
no elemental powers
no masks of power
no known characters from Bionicle
[/quote]

So, in other words, a Bionicle without anything that was cool about Bionicle.

5 Likes

I dunno about anything. I would say that techno-organic aesthetic and mysterious atmosphere are also pretty Bionicle. And I think expecting previous characters was probably a bit much to begin with.

8 Likes

Yes, but we won’t be getting Tahu, Gali, Jaller, Matoro, or any of the more Iconic names from Bionicle.

2 Likes

…And?

6 Likes

I agree with that
sure, we won’t get the iconic names, but beyond those names and character’s elements, there’s not too much behind the characters. Bionicle has always had weaker characters. Doesn’t make it a bad thing, but personally speaking this just might be a refreshing start.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far, but I think there’s a point to be made about getting too attached to old characters. There’s every possibility that new characters could be just as compelling, if not more so. Though again, it clearly seems to still be up in the air what this even is, so who knows if there even are characters to speak of.

10 Likes

I think that G1’s shortcomings with characters are all the more reason to take another whack at those characters. They may have sucked, but now there’s a chance to do them right and fit their arcs and personalities into broader, overarching themes of the story.

4 Likes

The thing, how I look at it, is, that he doesn’t actually want to do something with the Bionicle franchise.
He can actually do enough with Biovival, so it can stand on its own feet once the project is launched. He just would have to make some significant changes to the original, what in his case would’t be a problem, since he stated, that he wants to make something new with his creativity. Back then the Bionicle story was limited by toys with colorful color schemes and play functions. Always six characters had to be introduced at once and quests for collectables (masks, Krana) were part of the story, because they had to be sold.
For example you could almost tell the entire story of the 2016 winter wave by looking at the sets. The Toa have new allies, find new masks and there is a villain, who obtains the mask of control (I know Faber was not involved in that one, but it shows best how the sets define the story). The Kanohi and the elemental powers were story elements that came with the set design. Because of that I think, that they won’t return.

The meetings most likely will involve somebody, who can help launching a franchise: artists, producers, marketing managers, etc.

3 Likes

But the question still remains, who are those artists, produces, and marketing managers, and whom do they work for? If not for LEGO, then what other company?

5 Likes

That’s the thing, I really don’t think this will be a franchise or a story as we had in G1 or even G2. He clearly stated he doesn’t want to create something with a canon and the “evolution of storytelling” diagram he showed in his livestream suggests that he sees the future of fiction as pure worldbuilding.

1 Like

As an aspiring fiction writer whose focus and favorite piece of story is the characters who tell it, this worries me.

5 Likes