502 Bad Gateway (And the rate of it)

Welcome to the boards:)

Well, I just saw another one about three minutes ago.

2 Likes

There are warning signs; first the site performs slower than usual, then it buffers, then the ā€œcould not loadā€ sad face page appears, then finally the bad gateway when you try to reload the site :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

boards JUST 502ā€™ed me.

1 Like

Itā€™s been happening to me for a whileā€¦ Glad Iā€™m not the only one.

My experience exactly. It is unfortunate but I guess this is how forums are when you donā€™t have a lot of money to spend renting a reliable server. The forum is quite slow for me but Iā€™m still able to enjoy it so far.

1 Like

So I got this around seven times todayā€¦it is incredibly annoying.

2 Likes

Alright everyone, right now we have a couple possible explanations for why the Boards have been so frustrating lately:

• G2ā€™s ending seems to have led to an increase in new users and overall traffic on the Boards. Naturally, this has caused a strain on the servers and has resulted in slower response times.

• Mass PMs/group chats continue to bog the system down. The Boards software was never designed to support topics with thousands upon thousands of posts. These group PMs can really tax our infrastructure.

• Of course, the surge of activity due to G2ā€™s cancellation has lead to an above-average number of image uploads. These images are what take up the largest amount of the Boardsā€™ server storage and so the huge amount of them stored locally is naturally causing a problem.

We donā€™t currently have an easy fix for the server problems plaguing the Boards. That being said, there are several steps we can all take to alleviate the strain on the servers:

• Begin using alternative group messaging platforms (such as Discord). A migration to such services will help make the Boards run more smoothly and, white frankly, these platforms are in many ways vastly superior to the Boards PM system.

• Link to images hosted on other websites whenever you can. Instead of uploading pictures directly to the Boardsā€™ servers, we recommend simply copy-pasting their source URL (the software will automatically embed the images in most cases). We fully understand that there will be numerous instances where such measures simply wonā€™t be possible, but we encourage users to diminish their image uploading whenever possible.

Thatā€™s about it for now. We thank you all for your patience and support, and weā€™ll be sure to keep you informed about future developments. Happy Boarding!

13 Likes

Time to give Project MESSAGE the shaft!

Project Message- The discord

wait, thatā€™s already a thing (kinda)

1 Like