A glimpse of a few of my MOCs

The camera angles. I can’t really see all too clearly on what piece attaches where.

I plan to have a (moc)photo shoot tomorrow, I can take better pictures then.

Wait… I think I can see it. I’ll try to replicate it, post it to my Sta.sh and then link a pic to you and hope I built it right. I’ll possibly do that tomorrow, given it’s late and I have a Bionicle parts tote that makes lost of noise when rummaging through it.

So while I still have you guys’ attention, what are the fan’s opinions on using Vahki heads?

2 Likes

Vahki heAds are fine, but some prefer custom heads

1 Like

I ask, because I have another MOC that is basically a mini Vortixx with an Inika like build. She’s all blue. You’ve probably seen her if you went through my dA gallery.

2 Likes

Depends on how you use it, really. I’ve seen some pretty awful uses, and some pretty great ones. I’ve used it as a head, as shoulders, and as waist armour. If you mean specifically as a head, it’s probably alright unless you do something spectacularly terrible with it.

A bit of personal advice learned in my younger MOCing days - don’t use Bohrok eyes with it; (at least, not as actual eyes) it gives the head a really awkwardly top-heavy look that just doesn’t work all that well. It would also be a good idea to give it a Roodaka-styled lower jaw.

2 Likes

Funny, because I actually used red claw(horn) pieces as the eyes as an illegal connection, but it still looked pretty good. I didn’t have any spare clear exo-force hands lying around… Her head is almost a clone of Roodaka’s if you don’t count the eyes.

1 Like

I personally think not too many people are really all that concerned about illegal connections; the big thing to worry about is if they’ll stay in - if so, then great! And yeah; I think the Exo-Force claws only come in grey or black with the exception of Roodaka’s trans-orange ones. (Otherwise I’d use some green ones on my own Vortixx MOC.)

1 Like

I’ll take a picture for you and upload it soon for you to see. I’ll even do a full-body shot for you, if you so wish. Disclaimer: She’s a VERY simple MOC, but she has a consistent color scheme.

Here she is. 20150221 014402 - Toa-Ignicus's Sta.sh

And here’s the head closeup. 20150221 014357 - Toa-Ignicus's Sta.sh

Off to bed now. I’ll reply on your thoughts in the morning.

1 Like

Jeez, I turn my back for a few hours and the whole place is a mess.

Anyways, to elaborate on my earlier review, some design choices I like (the sword, the wings), whilst others I consider cons more out of personal preference, like the color scheme or the Nuva boobs, or as I usually call them, Bio-Boobs. Also, that chain hair looks a bit off, looking too big in comparison to the head. I actually didn’t know those concepts were so overused. I was just lukewarm to the overall result. The more you know, I guess.

3 Likes

That was one person :confused:
Sorry if I came out that rude in my post, the biorockdude insult was just a hyperbole :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Now with 450% less BioTube elements: thumbs up. Colors are indeed consistent, but I don’t really like the shoulder technique,

Also, that is a lot of comments for a MOC topic.

1 Like

It’s okay. You were speaking your mind. I completely understand that it was a critique. And I honestly think a 6/10 isn’t all that bad, considering that people have made these monstrously sized MOCs. Like that one that was a minotaur on wheels. As I 've said a few times in this topic already. I had no idea those were overused. I’ve never done them before, so I wanted to put my own spin onto it.

@Hawkflight Sorry for all the comments. I’m just trying to clean up a mess that I sorta helped start.

1 Like

Some small MOCs are much, much better than some huge MOCs.

3 Likes

Yeah. I understand that. Size isn’t everything. It’s the build quality that matters.

2 Likes

i’m slowly losing faith in the bionicle community :L

It’s unfortunately a thing that happens in all communities. The brony fandom is certainly no exception. But I digress, they were speaking for the community as a whole. They have become way too accustomed to this form of MOC and it’s now boring in their eyes. I understand that now. But I think the reason it’s been used so much is because the colors just fit SO well together.

Well, with the color scheme and rahkshiead, yes, but (at least for me) the issue with the nuva boob/thin waist is the bad proportions and implied sexualizing of the MOC.

2 Likes

And yet Roodaka, the most sexualized canon character of them all is loved by quite a few people. Am I right? cough cough she’s on your picture cough cough

1 Like

That is certainly true, but I’d argue she isn’t nearly as bad as some of the builds from Biorockdude and others like him. (And keep in mind that I’m not directing this at you specifically; I’m simply explaining why I take issue with it, and suggesting that you try to avoid doing it in future MOCs.)

I’ll also be perfectly honest and say that while I do like Roodaka a lot, it’s more for her character and the general Vortixxian form, and I’m not all too pleased with the creative decisions going into her chest area, if you know what I mean. Again, to quote and paraphrase what I said above:

In short: You goofed up here, sexualization is bad, try not to let it happen again. I won’t deny that I’m somewhat hypocritical in this regard as I’ve also done something similar in a Vamprah Revamp from a while back, but I learned from those mistakes and got better; I trust that you can as well. :smile:

1 Like