A question about formatting literature

So i have some short stories written up on word that i want to post here, but when i paste it in the space I’m presently typing in, all the indents are gone, some of the text is in a strange small box with a scroll thing that aims left and right, and the formatting in general is just messed up. How can I post long stories without reformatting it just for the site?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of that issue
Maybe try pasting it on a Google doc or write on a doc and copy and paste from to here

1 Like

Hmm, thanks for the advice :slight_smile:
still didnt work, unfortunately

1 Like

So, I’ve ran into this a few times myself. As far as I know, there are a few things that can’t really be fixed, unless you simply link to a PDF or a Google Doc. However, I’ll see if I can aid in explaining some of the weirder aspects.

If you hit “tab” or indent a line by more than four spaces, it’ll show up in one or more of those boxes that you described. This is because the software that runs through Discourse thinks that it’s pre-formatted text, which it is; that being said, the best that the boards can really do is put it in one of those boxes. However, if you do that, the boards will preserve your formatting, at least in theory. Here’s how it works, with some placeholder text:

hfghdfgh
    grethef
  dfghdesd
gfhfdghfgd

Now, contrast that with this : the exact same “terms”, right down to the respective indents, but without the universal indent of four spaces.

hfghdfgh
grethef
dfghdesd
gfhfdghfgd

So, hopefully that clears it up a little; to be honest, I’d consider linking to an external document if you have a big, carefully formatted story to tell. Regardless, good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I really really appreciate it

2 Likes