A word about Meme Replies

Hey guys. Eljay here, hijacking this post to give you an explanation

For some reason, this has been a thing recently, so I need to address this.

Two of our rules that we ask people follow are:

• No spam (Stupid, Pointless, Annoying Messages)
    And
  • No meme topics

The reason being is that both of these things clog up the Messages Boards and are a chore to moderate. There is no point to them, and only a small group of individuals find them amusing. Keep this in mind for a moment.

Another thing we ask individuals to do is to contribute to discussion. Posts like ā€œNice!ā€ or ā€œCool!ā€ are additionally spam, and will get deleted. They add absolutely nothing to any discussion whatsoever, and are pointless.

And now folks have decided that it is acceptable to post replies with either one image (usually a meme) or a video, and nothing else.

That, my friends, is spam in one of itā€™s purist forms.

Along with adding nothing to the discussion, it actually uses up quite a bit of space on the boards, which slows them down. The more frequent they are, the slower the boards get.

So to make it perfectly clear,

Replies containing only an image or a video are considered spam and will be deleted. Repeat offensives will result in administrative action.

Thank you for reading.

33 Likes

But sometimes images sum up an opinion very nicely and are most effective when used conciselyā€¦

13 Likes

Along with adding nothing to the discussion, it actually uses up quite a bit of space on the boards, which slows them down. The more frequent they are, the slower the boards get.

4 Likes

But they can add something to discussionā€¦
I understand your issue with slow boards, but I feel like this decision is a bit harsh.

3 Likes

No, they really canā€™t. Theyā€™re just reactions, not actual, boni-fide conversation.

9 Likes

Concerning this. Would thisā€¦[quote=ā€œAegyptiacus, post:14, topic:28330ā€]
How the frick frack snick snack did you manage to build a full body around the planet piece like thatā€™s amazing wth
[/quote]
Be considered spam? Just to make sure.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s asking a question. Itā€™s exaggerated, but it is inquiring with the intent of generating discussion and learning more about the topics subject. So no, thatā€™s not spam.

12 Likes

Well.

Bye everyone.

Consider this my final post here.

36 Likes

He already changed his location to ā€œGoneā€

Youā€™re tearing this family apart, Eljay! :stuck_out_tongue: What will happen to our sweet Looch?

7 Likes

If he wants to leave, he can. This is off-topic, guys. Go ask him in private, thank you.

11 Likes

I canā€™t argue because on one hand it makes the board run smoothly, on the other itā€™s a little restricting. Was this contributing to the ā€˜403ā€™ errors that were just fixed?

6 Likes

They are not contributing to the 403, no. However, they do use space and slow the boards down.

6 Likes

ā€œIn the Grim Darkness of the Futureā€¦ā€

ā€œā€¦There are no more meme repliesā€¦ā€

/s

9 Likes

So if I use a meme or gif to make a funny joke about something, say modified parts or something its spam but if it compliments a criticism or something its fine? What would be the point of that being okay and it being bad.

What I mean here is that if I make a joke about something with a gif but that say a quick opinion on the topic that doesnā€™t really have any criticism just me saying I like it in a way that isnā€™t ā€œNiceā€ or ā€œCoolā€ but more detail like ā€œI like this about the thingā€

1 Like

Iā€™d recommend staying on topic as much as possible. Discuss the subject of the topic, or actually compose your thoughts about a creative work. Nothing is saying you have to reply to something in the topic with a reaction gif or image.

2 Likes

I think I get what you mean, so if I make a joke itā€™ll just be a better idea just to write it rather than using an image to keep the boards running faster?

So weā€™re not allowed to make jokes now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Like, I know what you mean by this, but isnā€™t deleting them already administrative action of some kind?

2 Likes