AG3 [Another Generation Three]

A’right!
Evil Onewa, huh?
Sounds cool to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Placeholder name: Kamui
Personality: Calm and self assured, almost to the point of arrogance. Not exactly rude, just knows he’s better than you. Still, that doesn’t stop him from having a good sense of humor, and he laughs at no one more readily than himself.
Weapons/Battle style: A master swordsman. He has one sword, which he affectionately refers to as the Vallway (blessed wind). It’s a rapier carved from a very sturdy green crystal, and is so thin that when he holds it still, you can hardly see it. His sword instructor taught him to mold his wind energy around it, giving it enhanced reach, among other things.

Backstory: I’ll hold off on this for a little bit, as I’m still thinking about the Le-region, but it is coming.

@Payinku
Does this work as a compromise? Still has the concept of a wind blade, but not n early as OP.

I just want you to know that this description, in its entirely, won’t be approved as the description for the Le-Toa. However I do like the concepts brought up in this and it will be used as a main source material for designing the character. Thanks for the draft! :smile:

More information regarding the different regions should be coming out soon. IRL-stuff is very unforgiving.

1 Like

I feel ya.

Not sure that fits the tribal theme, though using their elements through their weapons is an interesting concept that while it has been done to an extent previously, could certainly be expanded upon.

Also I’d like to put forth a point, the description of the toa of stone seems to be far more suitable for a toa of ice, in fact I suggest a toa of ice, male or female, with that description would ultimately be better.

I mean, even tribal warriors have to train, right? And if your living on a floating island with a scarcity of material, giving a guy who doesn’t need a normal sized sword a normal sized sword is just a waste of resources.

I’m down for this. I’ll link my idea for the Matoran creation myth, though I forgot to mention in the post that the elemental ‘gods’ would be Terak, Akida, Uxar, Ketar, Melum, Ikir, Ahkmou (he was the evil Matoran, right?), and Igil.

1 Like

We don’t know what the universe is like, What elemental ability will the matoran have? What level of military will the tribes have?

Again, we don’t know about the universe to argue that, who says the skylands are barren? What stops the matoran from mining on the main land mass?
Wouldn’t the air tribe be more suited for ranged weaponry anyway?
And regardless of plot excuses, a rapier doesn’t fit with the tribal theme.

Well then we need to drop characters until we have this settled. Characters can’t exist in a vacuum.

And Kanoka launchers and crab cavalry did?

I mean maybe, but rapiers could fit just as well, as it’s a weapon that relies on speed and finesse over strength. And the G1 toa always had dissimilar weapons from the matoran.
Lewa had an axe, for crying out loud! And the Ta matoran guard used mostly spears and launchers while Tahu used a sword, etc. etc.

How is that relevant to sword instructors?

Even if they don’t have an organized military, someone has to fight off scary rahi, which means someone has to train him.

I agree, I have the same problem with starting with the island before all else, once the basics and regional cultures are figured out, then you move on to locations and characters.
You don’t start with a location and characters and then write a world and story around them.

Yes

The matoran on mata nui threw their kanoka disks, the launchers were introduced on metru nui, the industrial city.

The mata weren’t related to the matoran on mata nui, I’m assuming these toa would be related to their matoran.

How would this work if the matoran lack elemental abilities?

And in a tribal society that would be a parent or champion, it’s more the title you used than the training itself.

Oh. I was honestly thinking more along the lines that the instructor was just feeling creative and they brainstormed and perfected it together. After all, if you’ve mastered something, it isn’t that hard to figure out new ways of doing something.[quote=“Payinku, post:65, topic:35327”]
it’s more the title you used than the training itself.
[/quote]

I was purposefully avoiding cultural stuff as much as possible, and just used a generic title.[quote=“Payinku, post:65, topic:35327”]
crab cavalry

Yes
[/quote]
HOW?

Le-Motu (just an idea, Maori word for island)
The Le-matoran people live in islands floating high above the land. The why’s and wherefore’s have been lost to the mists of time, but it is held by some that the Le-y (as they call themselves) in fact originated on the skylands.
Now as anyone knows, living in the sky requires quite a bit of ingenuity, something Le-y have in spades. The most famous Le-y is Pepa, who invented the first gliders. Gliders have since become an important part of life for all the Le-y, and all youngsters are expected at some point to build their own.
Now, while the skylands seem like lush tropical paradise, they certainly have their share of danger, as some of the most vicious winged rahi on the island dwell there. As such most Le-y pick up some sort of weapon skill, be it bow and arrow or the blade.
The Myrmidion is a small army of the most skilled swordmasters, famous across the island for their incomparable prowess. You have to be extremely talented to join their ranks.

Alright, this is just a couple of paragraphs I threw together for the air region. A lot of it was me trying to balance the tribal theme with my own more medieval bent. What does everyone think?
In case your curious, Le-y existed just because I was tired of writing ‘Le-matoran’ over and over again.

Edited for Double Post.
~Chronicler

Crab mounts fit the tribal theme, a very specific French blade doesn’t.

Personally I’d like the rahi mounts to return,
though that does give me an idea,
Le toa tool: glider/bow.

But HOW?
Is Maori culture just obsessed with crabs or something?

Ok…

I wouldn’t know,
I’m not sure how to explain my reasoning, domesticated crabs work, humans have been domesticating animals for most of our existence, and giant crabs fit the mystical island feel, so giant crab mounts just make sense to me.

It gives the world more depth and life,
having gukko, ussal and other friendly rahi really fleshes out the world, so having gliders instead kind of, loses something? Like it feels less relatable.

Oh yeah. Because I love using my giant flying bird to get to places, y’know? And having that taken out in favor of a manmade device would totally break the immersion for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair, I see what you’re saying, but not having transportation Gukko by no means would weaken the world, as they could still exist and just be like, I dunno, parakeets or something.

I guess it just depends on the tone Ghidoria wants to go for. If it’s a more lighthearted story, gukko riders works better, as it makes the world feel more harmonious (not necessarily deeper, but more at peace). If it’s a darker tone, the glider works better, as it emphasizes the idea that the whole world is against them and they can only rely on their own wits. And if it’s the same tone as G1, just mystic and mysterious, with no particular bent towards light or dark…it could go either way, just depends on the representation.

1 Like

It’s not just me on this, but unfortunately I can’t let you guys know who else is on this with me until I get to Master, as most of them don’t have accounts on TTV.

My apologies for not getting this posted out yet, as we’re currently laying the groundwork for the religious system, myths and fables, the actual events behind them, and then the political structure will be formed just enough for us to work on the social structure, level of technology, and finally the Toa’s origins. So really, any continuous discussion on the Toa/Island is a benefit in the long run, as it gives loads of ideas to toss into the meat grinder and see what comes out whole. However I think both Payinku and Bobofoot could perhaps tone down the severity of the discussion just a notch, as it’s getting very slightly flamey.

Thanks for including your ideas into the project! we’ll look them over and see what fits the best.

I think the way the early years of g1 handled the tone would be great, lighthearted but with a sense of stakes, everything got a little too edgy 06 onwards imo, but having things have a sense of humor while still having a serious threat and a subtle sense of dread would be nice.

1 Like

Fire toa
Placeholder name: Kaze
Personality/Backstory: Kaze’s parents were some of the biggest criminals in the history of Ta-motu. They were caught and executed for their actions when Kaze was only three. As a result, he grew up mostly on his own, hated and reviled by everyone for something that wasn’t his fault. He learned from a young age that turning the other cheek and never getting angry or upset at people was the only way to not make it worse, but he wasn’t content with just that. So he devoted his time and effort to being as helpful as possible, always volunteering to do odd jobs or stuff no one else wanted to do. He never asked for anything in return, yet at the end of the day, it didn’t work. People still hated him. So one day, when he was ten, he left the tribe entirely and spent eight years wandering the island. He learned to read and write in Ga-motu, learned to fight in Po-motu, and generally made a name for himself as a wandering traveler who would do almost anything in exchange for some knowledge or a nights rest. He returned home at eighteen, highly accomplished in numerous skills and weapon styles. Almost everyone had forgotten about him, but there was still a lingering sense of mistrust among the elders in the village. He still tried his hardest to be accepted by everyone, told himself he didn’t care about the hate, but deep down inside, there is an infernoes worth of rage, that is slowly building up…
As a toa, he’s eager to prove that he can be a hero. His long years traveling have given him a lot of learning, and he’s very good at thinking outside the box. He is an excellent tactition for the team, as well as being able to use his powers very creatively and in ways you might not immediately understand.

1 Like

A bit too cliché on the story, but it will be used as reference material for the Fire Toa.

Also, a question for everyone: Since the first Toa Team we’re doing is obviously original characters, should we change the elements of some of them?

Personally, combining earth and stone into one element and having plantlife fill the gap would be a decent reroll without drastically changing things, but keeping the original elements is fine too.
Though that would definitely mean the island would have to change.

1 Like

I was referring more to underused or potentially new elements.