Ahiru- New SelfMOC V2 (V1 is on MOCpages)

NOTES: I don’t know how well my first real attempt at color blocking turned out… it’s not terrible though in my opinion. I think the legs are quite lame, except the backs of the lower legs with the arch pieces. They fit perfectly. I quite like the upper torso, but the lower of which looks quite strange. The sword is probably the best weapons I’ve done. Overall I’m quite happy with the MOC. Thanks for viewing!

28 Likes

I would say for a first time at color blocking, this is pretty good. My only problem is that there is too little red (or maybe I just can’t see it.). The metru red and burnt orand look good, and I think the abundance of silver helps in making the MOC more grounded. Great MOC!

No, there’s only the back of the legs, the chest, and the lower arms. A little more might be useful… thanks for the comment!

1 Like

I LIKE IT!!

Thanks. Why the caps? Lol

EDIT: Oh wait you’re ivan from MP! Nice to see you over here!

Caps because I feel like it, and yes I am the same person. :smile:

This is pretty good. I like the use or dark red as an accent, the legs need more of it for consistency though. The feet are a tad big, and the ankles are bit empty. I suggest you switch out the feet for metru feet and put a tire around the ankles.

I would’ve done tires but I feel like it’s throw off the color scheme. And I agree about the legs needing more red. I’ll try to get onto that.

1 Like

Please refrain from getting off-topic and spamming in MOC topics; the discussion should be focused around the MOC. Feel free to PM each other and chat through that; this topic is not the place for it.

As for the MOC, it looks pretty solid. Color blocking works well enough, the back seems a bit bare, however. The pictures would also look better if the background was solid and there was brighter lighting; it shouldn’t be too expensive to pick up a large white/grey/black piece of posterboard for a backdrop, and pulling in a few lamps would help brighten the figure.

1 Like

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Looking nice and badonkey :wink:

You know me as Benjamin from moc pages, I’ve uploaded a new update for my self moc here as well

Ooooh hey Benny! Nice to see you! Haha thank you.

1 Like

Well…this is certainly drastically better than your MOCs were when I first found you - or rather when you were first brought to my attention.

The limbs are fine - simple, and you could easily do something with the open axle on the lower leg armor and you should probably fill in the gap on the foot - but the legs are overall rather alright. The upper legs are very short though, they could definitely to with some lengthening.

The torso is the issue for me. It appears very much thrown together, as opposed to being a true cohesive unit. I’d imagine it makes for some ridiculous articulation…buuuut sometimes it’s better to trade that ridiculous articulation for a better overall looking model. If you could recreate your current chest armor with a more solidified back I think the model would look far superior to what you have now - and that’s after having reverse-engineered how the current torso works.

It’s also kinda hard to tell from the pictures given but his sword is rather neat, if a bit soulless on the identity spectrum.

Overall it’s a massive improvement to what I saw you making the last time I checked in, but could definitely do with some major touchups.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your criticism! I agree this MOC is far from perfect.
Arms: I understand they’re basic, but as is my part collection. I don’t wanna try to be Ben Cossy :wink:
Torso: other than the chest, I hate the torso. I will try to keep the chest, but I don’t know if that’ll be possible.
Legs: I don’t see a massive problem with the small upper legs, but you are right that they aren’t great. I personally like the lower legs though so idk if I’ll change that a lot

Arms: No problems with the arms from me! Basic has never meant bad to me. My own Self-MOC uses arms not very far off what you have here, just with some additional detail work.
Torso: It’s certainly possible, the question is whether it’s possible with your collection. Thinking outside the box is a bit of a cliche statement, but it does actually work sometimes.
Legs: Honestly the lower legs are fine, you’ve done the best you can with the prefab Inika leg, I’d just recommend adding in a little detail and something to top off that additional armor piece. The upper legs being small can work too, you just might need to change around how the armor is visuallly weighted - currently he kinda looks like he’s wearing thigh-highs made of metal, and that’s just weird to me.

1 Like

Looks pretty cool! I would work on the arms and legs, but otherwise it is a great start!

Thank you very much! V3 is actually up, it’s called “Toa ahiru: take 3” or something of the sort

EDIT:
Here’s the link