AKA Jonathan Juan (Ask Kahi Anything)

So I’ve been interested in the DC universe for some time now, but haven’t ever delved into the comics. Do you have any suggestions of where to start?

How do you feel about one of your mods mutating children?

Hey Jonny, what’s your thoughts on about a Justice League/Power Rangers Crossover?

Lil Jonny

We need a personal story, with an R-rated Wolverine. Sounds right to me.

Here’s the thing: the reason I like redesigning DC is because DC needs help. Their comics are generally more miss than hit with their characters, and really, the best way to be introduced to them are solo stories within their own continuity. That’s why Batman largely has the best standalone arcs - The Long Halloween, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Hush, etc. - because Batman can exist within his own canon with a great Rogues Gallery.

From the beginning, Marvel dropped references to their other characters and built a universe (easy for them because Stan Lee wrote them all) while DC didn’t do this until much later - and whenever it did, it was for Justice League events, not small things like calling Professor X on the phone or Aunt May being in the background of a Fantastic Four fight.

So long story short - look up the best arcs for individual characters. The crossovers get pretty heated with too much continuity for my liking. Identity Crisis and 52 are good in keeping your interest without bogging you down.

Not really all that interested? I can’t think of what could benefit from having those characters crossover.

2 Likes

If you were told that you could write and direct a blockbuster bionicle movie, how would you handle the story? Would the character designs be really accurate, or stylised?

There would definitely be a pushback from the studio because big budget action movies not starring any human characters is almost doomed to fail. Think about a straight up action movie in recent memory that didn’t feature humans in some way, shape or form: it’s pretty hard. Audiences like humans and seeing them onscreen.

I would say that the best way to do it would be through following through with the stop motion style used by the LEGO Movie franchise, almost a Kubo and the Two Strings style adventure movie. The Toa themselves would be slightly more detailed in texture, but keep similar iconic designs to the original.

There would be some definite changes to canon. The plot would be much more mystical in tone, the worldbuilding would be very heavy. There would be much more attention paid to how each of the cities felt, and meld that old world feel juxtaposed with the robots.

I might cut down the Toa team to five instead of six, maybe combining elements and their personalities. I might also have two girls on the team instead of one. That’s a very controversial thing to do, and I’m not sure how well it would go over. I’d really have to experiment before I committed to that.

5 Likes

With this in mind, what do you think of DC Rebirth so far?

Rebirth is pretty cool for several of their characters, but the hook of Rebirth only makes sense if you know these characters’ continuity backwards and forwards. For instance, the JSA and Wally West and the whole notion of characters coming back into continuity only excites you if you know about them to begin with.

Superman Rebirth has been great because they finally focus on where Superman should have gone years ago. Trinity has been great because we’ve yet to really have a truly great Trinity story, and it looks gorgeous.

2 Likes

Why aren’t you gonna buy me an iPhone? And where can I find a payphone?

2 Likes

Did you hear about how young justice is getting a season three finally? If so what are your thoughts?

2 Likes

I think a Note 7 might suit you better.

I did! I’m super excited. Young Justice is the best DC show ever produced, and I always thought it was criminally treated during its tenure. I would love to see more seasons from this show going forward. I’m really looking forward to seeing more Barbara and Cassie, as they were characters I really wanted to see more of (especially Cassie!). Also, maybe the return of Red Hood? Maybe Damian? Maybe Oracle? Maybe President Luthor? Definitely New Gods.

5 Likes

What is it about IPhones that you consider superior to Androids (or basically any other phone brand)?

1 Like

Wait, do you mean the return of the character to animation or the return of him in the show because I don’t recall him appearing or being mentioned?

Also, if the show is successful, do you think we could see some LEGO Young Justice sets or minifigures?

Red hood has to show up because I think they were setting him up in season two and I really want to see more of nightwing because I thought he wasn’t featured enough in season two. There are a lot of characters I want to see more of and I think that since blue beetle’s ark with the reach is over, there are a lot more characters that can be focused on, although blue beetle is one of my favorite D.C. Characters I feel like he kind of overshadowed some of the characters like Barbara and Tim Drake

1 Like

End to end design. I’m a big believer in Steve Job’s philosophy that hardware needs to be created for the software and vice versa. I also believe that Apple’s design philosophy makes the user experiences that much tighter, and that it’s genuinely more user intuitive. Most of their products are pushed for that extra 10% performance - the Apple Pen is the best pen I’ve ever used, Wacom included, and is still miles in front of the pen that comes with the Surface Studio.

Jason Todd is seen on the show in the memorial alongside Tula and Ted Kord, he died during Season One and Season Two.

Very possibly. I’d love nothing more, to be honest. Plus, maybe Young Justice could sell some toys, yeah?

Definitely. Love some Blue, but he kind of took center stage. I want to see more Babs and Cass, as the female World’s Finest. Also, some more Justice League action would be good too - I feel like the interaction with them was sorely missed because of them being on trial.

1 Like

Well, the loss of Mattel’s toy license pretty much took away their whole budget.

Sadly, since the sets would be based on Season 3 we wouldn’t get the OG Artemis or Ms. Martian.

What is your opinion on Justice League Action?

What is your opinion on the Suicide Squad Extended Cut and how it still doesn’t show most of the cut scenes from the trailer?

Thoughts on the Suicide Squad concept art?

Thoughts on the new Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2?

Have you played Batman: Telltale?

Any opinion on the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy: Telltale?

Any thoughts on the leaked set descriptions for the summer Superheroes sets from the Instagram account of delta.customs? (Same guy who found pics for most of the The LEGO Batman Movie sets and the prelims for the 2017 Star Wars sets)

Warming up to any of the Rogue One sets since the Brickfeed discussion? (There are reasons for why the TIE Striker and U-Wing aren’t in the OT)

How would you do a Justice League movie that fits into the DCEU?

Any possibility that @exxtrooper will be on a podcast or a Brickfeed episode?

Thoughts on the current DC shows?

Do you have any of the official “based on the Young Justice designs” minifigures like Blue Beetle or Superboy?

Opinion on the possibility of another Young Justice time skip?

What are your top 3 Batmobiles?

What DC figs do you want to be made?

Gotten any of The LEGO Batman Movie sets?

What was the reaction of your “redneck” friend when you messed with his truck? I don’t believe you said how he reacted in those old podcasts where you told these stories.

What are your thoughts on this little video that Zack Snyder made?

I know that the 12th Brickfeed episode where you discussed this past year’s Comic-con figs was a while ago, but to correct your comment about the Atom, he can grow to giant size.

Hey Ka… Jon. You may have said this before somewhere, but do you own a PS4, and if so, are you going to play Last Guardian or Horizon Zero Dawn? I recently purchased a PS4 mostly because of Horizon and how close it looks to Bionicle!

1 Like

I’m super meh about it. We’ve gotten so many good DC shows, this doesn’t look like it will live up to it.

Suicide Squad was the only film with any hope and DC killed it. I haven’t seen the Extended Cut, and I felt like it definitely won’t save the movie. A complete rewrite was needed.

Concept art generally always looks good. That’s because it’s only conceptual.

Seems like everything the first one was, but better. I love the colors, and James Gunn is killing it with the crew. Switching up the Groot and Rocket dynamic was also pretty smart. Nice way to find a middle ground between bringing a character back after killing him off and not making it seem like the same.

Yes! I’ve enjoyed it so far. Definitely a new take on the universe.

Less excited. Telltale needs to just completely take a break and start on a new engine. When I think Guardians, I don’t think of a property that needs a point and click adventure game.

They sound cool, but I’m going to see them.

No. I’m still not feeling any of them as sets.

Right now? It’s really tough to work with Batman v Superman. In my personal canon, Black Adam is the first adversary of the Justice League. I would probably follow that here.

Exx’s got a busy life, so

The crossover is amazing and the actual Justice League that I’m looking forward to. Arrow has gotten really meh. Supergirl never gripped me. Flash is great. Legends is okay.

No, they’re both two expensive.

Excited for that, makes sense to me. As long as they focus on the characters it’ll be fine.

New 52

Tumbler

http://www.damngeeky.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Batman-Tumber-batmobile.jpg

Arkham Knight

http://i1.wp.com/www.techsharx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Batmobile-Batman-Arkham-Knight.jpg

That’s a Top 10 I don’t want to spoil.

Can’t afford any new LEGO at the moment.

He was surprised but laughingly so. We have a video of it somewhere.

Guess we know what he does instead of making good movies.

I don’t, and I really want to. I’m thinking about switching over to Sony for the next generation because of the exclusives.

5 Likes

Any thoughts on the new Spiderman: Homecoming trailer?

1 Like