Alternate Matoro Story Idea

We all know what happened to Matoro. He used the mask of life to sacrifice himself, saving Mata Nui. But what if, when Mata Nui died, a soul would be required to replace him as the great spirit? What if Matoro had to become Mata Nui? It would be similar to Yue becoming the moon spirit in Avatar. Matoro would be reluctant at first, not wanting to give up his old life and accept the responsibility. Eventually, he would accept his destiny, though. All of his friends would never be able to see him again, but would be able to rest easy knowing he was watching over them. This could get really interesting if you take it further into the 08-10 years. What do you think?

4 Likes

I think it’s an interesting idea, but with matoro dying, it added so much more weight to the 07-08 storyline as well as Mata Nui’s story in 09-10. If he “reincarnated” into the great spirit, it wouldn’t have been as effective. But aside from what actually happened, this would be the next best thing.

7 Likes

I’d have to agree with @Fershizzledizzle.

Matoro’s death was one of the most impactful moments in Bionicle history, and diminishing the consequences by not really making the death a death would have made it feel less real and important.

It is a really neat concept, I like the idea of having to become a new Great Spirit, but it wouldn’t feel right.

I also feel it wouldn’t fit with Matoro’s character, or the set-up we had in '06 and '07. Matoro barely believed he was cut out to be a Toa, so I don’t think he’d be comfortable with taking the responsibility of becoming the literal god of his friends. '06 and '07 also had plenty of foreshadows to Matoro’s fate: his sacrifice in the staircase to the Mask of Life (showing he was always more willing to die for his friends), his Mask of Spirit, and his Mask of Reanimation, two masks related to death in some manner.

I could see this version happening if he was still an Inika, though. Maybe he discovers Mata Nui’s true form from the Mask of Life, then uses his Mask of Spirit to inhabit the Great Spirit Robot.

8 Likes