An easy solution to the leg problem

Lego uses the normal minifigure design so much, but the Woody design was used, what, twice? So I highly doubt that Lego would use such a rare and abstract figure design, especially for the main characters. And sure, the legs are slightly more accurate compared to human proportions, but they dwarf the torso, making the rest look… awkward. Also the arms seem too long Woody style, and too short normal style. At least IMO.

I’d imagine Lego doesn’t use them because most everything is designed to scale for the normal minifigs – chairs, doors, vehicles, etc. Granted, this wouldn’t be as big of a problem in Brickonicle, a completely new theme with nothing to “fit with”, but it still would apply due to pre-made pieces/building techniques.

They probably look awkward to you because you are used to the normal minifig leg size. I’ll admit, they do look a little off to me, too; I’ve just accustomed my mind to looking for realistic proportions from constantly Mooing.

~W12~

1 Like

Um. Is that normal?
Autocorrect sucks.

Anyway to add my bit in. I feel like that would just not fit. It doesn’t really matter if the matoran are smaller. They will still be in the plot and sets. That’s better then no matoran right? Just gotta work with what you got and keep it in line with what fits Lego. The Woody legs are good problem solver but it just won’t feel right for the kids. After all Lego is a business and they sell toys. That’s thier job. They gotta keep thier image. We have been using small legs for years. A sudden change like this in one franchise might deter kids away.

1 Like

You are absolutely right. My thoughts on this Woody solution is why reinvent the wheel?

I really don’t think this would work. OK, it is taller, and you are happy, and you want to play with your Toa, so you put it on a base plate. You are bored by that place so you want to take the Toa and put him somewhere else. These pieces will remain there and you need to take them any time when you move the figure. This is more than exhausting.

Yeah, the woody legs already exist, why not just use what we already have. It’s not reinventing the wheel if it’s already been invented.

Yes, but kids aren’t used to the Woody legs. As @Willess12 said, they look awkward because we are used to the normal legs. So sure, you’re not physically inventing a new piece, but you still have to get kids used to the change in minifigure design. Especially since all the main characters would be this way.

Do kids really care? They’d buy the toy anyway.

So you’re saying that we shouldn’t consider what the kids will think? Right. I’m sure that’s what Lego thinks when creating new IPs.
But really, why would kids not care if their favorite characters look strange?

1 Like

I don’t really think that they would care. In fact, I’d think they’d see it as their favorite characters being special in comparison to the other characters. The kids wouldn’t care.

I personally don’t think the characters would look good with the Woody legs. I think it would make them look more awkward then anything.

1 Like

My point stands.

1 Like

Here, I’ll provide an example: Galidor.
Number one reason that Galidor failed, set-wise: sets were incompatible with anything else (up until 2002, when the ratchet joints became commonplace). The same thing applies to these minifigures. Take for example the old door piece. A woody-fig is just as tall as the door. Add on a Mask, and they won’t fit. Another example, the chair piece: the woody-fig can sit on it, but their legs stick out. Those are the only examples, piece-wise, that I can think of offhand, but I’m sure their are more.

Lego is a single system that combines a world of different themes, allowing kids to have their Harry Potter characters go up against a Jedi, or a Ninja from Ninjago going to another realm to say hi to the Chima guys. You can’t make the main characters of your theme, the ones that will appear the most in sets, incompatible with everything else Lego does.

~W12~

2 Likes

What if you have the collectible minifigures werewolf fig, and you can’t fit it in your tie fighter? Same for trying to stick Chewbacca into one of your ninjago vehicles. Maybe that weird barracuda minifigure from Atlantis into your captain America jet person set. Try sticking Pythor P. Chumsworth into your Batmobile. Loads of minifigures are Incompatible with other sets.

I didn’t say their weren’t exceptions. Their can be, and I would be happy to see the Woody legs used on a Titan. Just not on a main character.

You mention Pythor. He has appeared in two(?) sets (unless there’s another I’m forgetting). The Toa will likely appear in almost every, if not every, set. Plus, Pythor’s not supposed to be humanoid anyway.
You mention Chewie. Like Woody, Lego’s trying to reflect the Source material. G3 has no source material. It has a basis, sure, but it’s also a new thing. And again, Chewie isn’t a human
The Barracuda: really not supposed to be humanoid. And again, how many sets was he in? One, maybe two?

~W12~

1 Like

Fine, what about the classic space figs with their Airtanks? or perhaps what’s the issue with woody legs? Everyone is complaining about either everyone would be the same height, or the matoran wouldn’t have printed legs. This solves both problems in one swoop. oh, and if it’s a new thing, then why shouldn’t they try something new?

It may push kids away from buying the sets.

air tanks can be easily removed and used as an accessory, woody legs cant

@LTVmocs Kids won’t care

@nexol fair point,

@everyone else at this point, you guys just need to pick something and stop complaining. If you guys disagree with the woody legs so much, then come up with a better alternative to then. if not, then can it.

1 Like

We can just not use them all together.

And kids do care. They really are picky sometimes.