Arcana: the downfall

“Oh. Thank you.”

Melissa then walked up to the old mage.
“Excuse me. You’re mister Oliver right?”
She asked.

He nods

“Mister Edward told me you would help me make a tent?”

“Okay. I understand that you feel betrayed, but the rogue acts of one god—of one person—don’t mean that you don’t need anyone. If anything, right now is when you need others most. People, truly good people, will help you through this time. If you need, even help you get revenge on her for what she did, or to help you get back at her some other way, or something. Either way, your friends are some of the people who’ll help you the most through these troubles, if you just let us. Don’t let her actions make you untrusting of everyone else, of us. We’re here for you.” He puts his hand on Edward’s shoulder. “Promise.”

1 Like

“okay,” he said, before looking around, “uh…that stuff was in the cart wasn’t it…”

Duo beeped happily and flies over to Frostvin. “You are friend?”
“Yes. Absolutely.”
“For friend.” Duo gave Frostvin a piece of glass.
“Thanks.”
Duo shot out some confetti and whistles happily, then flew back over to Tortwig.
She smiled at the automaton, then turned to Quadro and spoke to him in Kitmaj. Quadro replied, and Tortwig nodded.

“She took better care of me than my mom and dad ever did. She was the only one who I let see. The only one I let in. And now that I know… I’ve felt a lot of new things on this quest. Things I’ve never felt before. But this… It hurts so much. More than losing my arm. More than when I lost my actual parents. I want to scream. If I could I’d rip the earth apart. I’ve never been this angry… But on top of that, I feel so empty. Like a big piece of me was ripped out… I should have stayed home…”

Alpha gave an affirmative beep.

1 Like

“But focus on what else you’ve found.” He gestures around. “You found us.” He gestures to Melissa. “You found her. You may have lost your old family, they may have betrayed you, but we’re your family now. And we’ll stay by you no matter what.” He falls silent and looks down. “I…I know. What it’s like to lose family. Trust me.” He says, sadness in his voice and eyes. “I understand that it feels like you lost part of you. That you’re being ripped in two from the inside out. I know it hurts.” He looks Edward in the eye again. “And I don’t want you to make the same mistake I did. I cut myself off from society, and it took me almost two decades to heal. I don’t want you to feel that pain for as long as I did.”

1 Like

“Thanks. I appreciate it. Only a few days ago I never trusted anyone. But now, I can’t understate how important this is. To have someone for me at my lowest. People who don’t run from my eye. People who I can depend on. I just can’t put it to words… Thank you.”

“That’s what friends…no, that’s what family does.” He says. He let’s go of Edward’s shoulder, turns, and sits, looking at the mountains. After a few moments, he speaks again. “About earlier.” He starts. “When you asked what was wrong. It was Melissa, she…” He sighs. “She reminded me so much of my son. It just…hurt.”

“You have a son?”
Edward asked. A level of curiosity was clear in his voice. Though he still made sure to be respectful.

“Yes.” He said. “Well, I did. I…I wasn’t born into a good spot. My family was part of a group that, while started with good intentions, had devolved into something heinous. Once myself and my wife had our son, we decided that we wanted nothing to do with them. So, we decided to run, and never look back. However, someone must have found out and told the leaders, since…” He trailed off, then took a deep breath. “On our way out, we were ambushed by them. They…they killed my wife when trying to stop us. Arrow straight to the neck. I think they were trying to make sure we couldn’t spread any secrets. No loose ends, you know? Anyways, after that, my son and I ran as fast as we could through the fray. When I got out the other side, my son was nowhere to be found. I looked all over, even going back to the sight of the ambush, where they still had some warriors, but nothing.”
He stays silent for a while.

“That was the last time I ever saw him. …He was seven.” He sighs. “…that was about twenty years ago.”

1 Like

“Oh… Wow. I’m sorry to hear that. Do you… Do you ever think he might still be out there?”

“Yes.” Saras responds. “…to an extent, that’s what I’m afraid of.”

“Afraid of? Why be afraid of it. If Melissa ever went missing like that, well I’d search the whole content to find her. What is there to fear?”

The cart and cow appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, with Caz

1 Like

Reginald have a hearty moo, seemingly unfazed.

1 Like

Tortwig mewed in surprise.

Oliver began setting up tents for the night.

“Do I have your compliance?” Asked Lux
“I doubt I have a choice, but I accept your terms. When do we begin?” Replied the dragon, pacing around the god.
“Easy. When the usurper is dealt with, and so far all is going according to plan.” He said with an ominous grin before vanishing.

“So where are all of you from?”
Melissa asked Oliver.