Arcana: the downfall

“That’s a weird thing for someone to do.”
Melissa said.

Edward sat in dumbfounded silence for a few moments before he spoke again.
“Did… Did you just agree with me?”

1 Like

“that’s why they wanted to know so bad.”

“But why did they think you knew?”

“Because it was my home, and I was one of the last people to leave before hand.”

“So they punished you for ten years? That’s longer than I’ve been alive!”

“yeah.”

“Well what did you do before that?”

“I was a priest for lux, god of the light and judgement.”

“Yeah, why?”

“Oh. Okay.”

"No one! In all my life! Has ever agreed with me! As in every! You’re the first person to actually listen to my reasoning!’
Edward said, very excited.

1 Like

“anyhow, the tents are ready.”

“Thank you.”

Tortwig’s eyes widened. “Really? No-one? Ever? I don’t see why, electricity is a perfectly acceptable replacement for magic. Heck, it’s almost exactly the same!”
She shrugged. “Come to think of it, though, most people dislike my… Experiments. Even though they’re harmless. Usually.”

“let’s rest for the night,” says Oliver to Edward and tortwig

“Everyone else I’ve tried to talk to about it usually just leaves or tries to fight me. I can’t believe I actually got someone to agree with me before the apocalypse.”

He then looked to Oliver.

“Right right.”

Edward got up and walked over to Melissa, who was sitting by a tent.

Tortwig nodded and pulled a blanket out of her pack, then lay down and fell asleep.
Frostvin overheard Oliver and lay on the ground, enjoying the coolness of the night air.

“Hey mister Edward. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure. Anything.”
Edward said before taking a drink of water from his canteen.

Alpha and Beta walked into the tent with their creator, readying to power down.

“Would it be okay if I called you my dad?”

Edward nearly choked. A mouthful of water flew out and spilled on to the floor. He went into a short coughing fit before he looked to Melissa.

“What… What on earth gave you that idea?”
He said, laughing nervously.

“Well you take care of me like a dad. You worry about me and care about me like a dad does. And I don’t think anyone but a dad would stand in front of a dragon like that.”

“Well uh… I mean, thank you… I…”
Edward looked to Oliver. A pleading expression of “what the hell do I do” was clear in his eyes.

1 Like

Oliver shrugged

“I uh… You know what… Sure. If that’s what you want, then I’d be happy to be your dad…”

“Yay! Thank you!”
Melissa jumped on Edward and put her arms around his neck.

“No problem. Now, it’s been a very long and eventful day for everyone, so let’s get some sleep.”
Edward went into the tent and Melissa followed. He bundled her up in a nice cozy blanket, while he was content to just leave on his heavy coat. The both of them were able to quickly fall asleep.

Alpha and Beta folded up into their sphere forms and powered down, standing guard just outside the tent.

1 Like

the next morning:

As Melissa woke she’d find a golden squid like robot curled up next to her, emitting a soothing sound