Are original Lego themes dying out?

So you’re saying that originality isn’t a necessary, yet all Bionicle sets were original.

And back to the Next Knights point, take a look at Clay’s Rumble Blade.

Now look at another set.

Besides color schemes, there is almost nothing similar between these two sets. The concepts aren’t even similar. Hypothetically if they were, as it could be said, that still doesn’t account for children not buying the sets because we can assume that Next Knights is selling well and going for the regular three year run.

1 Like

For the record the middle section of those two sets look very similar to me, but whatever. And yes I am saying that Bionicle had some originality in their sets even though it wasn’t a necessity. But, today, I think many of the bionicle sets wouldn’t be original enough for kids.

So…Nexo Knights test have no originality in them?

Mainly because of the windshield piece and that they share a similar and consistent theme. Without the windshield, they’d be very different.

The two sets you showed me. If you knew nothing about Nexo knights, would you honestly be able to tell me that there is anything that shows one vehicle belongs to clay, and one belong to Aaron? There isn’t, unless you closely examine each set. In say ninjago, if I showed you Zane and kai, and a vehicle for both, you would easily be able to tell whose is whose. There is originality. Also don’t make the point that “they are original ones a car one a jet” because besides the shape of those two vehicles, those two sets look very similar. You seem to be blowing off color like it’s not a big deal either. Kids care about color. And like I said earlier, kids are the main customers.

The problem is the similar color scheme. It drenches everything into a samey feel.

2 Likes

So because they’re similar, kids won’t buy them? That’s clearly not the case.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t buy any, I’m saying they wouldn’t buy much from the line. Why buy a whole collection of sets with little originality when you could get other things from your favorite brands like Star Wars or marvel? This could have damaged the market for this line.

Then explain why the line is receiving the full three-year treatment, a TV show, and a video game.

The tv show and games are to help the market and get kids interested in the line so they would buy the toys, and the three year run is a usual for non licensed themes, especially since lego expected this to be a popular line

Which it clearly is, considering most evidence points to it selling well. Bionicle G2, which we know didn’t sell well, didn’t get the full three year treatment, but Nexo Knights will, which shows that it is selling well. And the game also helps the sets sell well, because you get a Nexo Power. So it’s not like the line is failing or anything. And the game is kind of a new idea for Lego, albeit it was it Dimensions, so it’s not like the line is unoriginal.

The line has been rumored to end earlier then planned however, although those rumors may not be true. Also whenever I go to my local target or walmart there seems to be plenty Nexo knights sets while Star Wars and Minecraft are almost sold out. That doesn’t say selling well to me.

That was confirmed to be false, and on Lego Shop at Home quite a few of NK sets are sold out.

1 Like

Lego may have said that so that a last wave would sell well. Interesting about s@h though. I did not see that.

No.

Just.

No.

The author of the article stated that he was wrong in his information, Lego had nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Oh oops sorry

1 Like

The rumble blade shares clays colors, has his crest and is shaped like his weapon, the striker shares Arron’s secondary color, has his crest and is shaped like his weapon.

So you either think children aren’t capable of differentiating shapes and have to rely on colors, or you yourself need colors to differentiate sets and are projecting.
Either way you’re just wrong, aside from the vehicles actually having their respective knights color as a secondary, they all have different builds and silhouettes, would you rather the sets have candy colored drastically different vehicles that have no visual cohesion? Because apparently originality is dependant on how colorful the line is.

2 Likes

That’s not what I said. Also did you ignore when I said if you knew nothing about the line? Because if you knew nothing about the line or characters, you would not know clay or Aaron had a sword or crossbow for weapons. You wouldn’t know what their crests would look like either. Also clays blue blends in with the rest of the blue in the model. In Aaron’s ship, the green is in a short amount, and from many angles cannot even be seen. Besides the shape of their weapons, most vehicles in Nexo knights are just large blue op vehicles. next to each other the sets look a little bland is all I’m saying. Color is not the only thing in originality, but I think the sets would have sold better and looked a little better if there was more color to show and represent the characters a little better.

I have some similarities for them

Both are based off of the titular character of the sets weapon
Both have a function where you can separate the vehicles to have smaller vehicles
Both are sort of excessive in weaponry
And uh, that’s it.

Okay bye now

1 Like

If you knew nothing about the line or characters? How is that a feasible argument? If you showed a person the characters and the vehicles they would see the similarities between them, the knights have their crests on their chests and if they were equipped with their weapons, which would only be fair imo, they would see the similarities there as well.
You created an impossible task, ask someone which characters the vehicles belong to without showing them the characters.

Like I said, the consistent predominant colors and aesthetic creates a visual cohesion, despite the cohesive aesthetics the vehicles manage to be considerably more visually distinct than you’re admitting.

Ninjago and bionicle use color prominence to convey difference, specifically elements, nexo knights is a consistent technology, all the technology is the same, so it being visually cohesive conveys that while also adding to the knight theme.