Are the HF books worth reading?

I’ve been thinking of possibly ordering the Hero Factory books written by Greg Farshtey (the others seem to be under my level), and I was wondering if anyone here has read any of them and could tell me if they are good or not? I’m obviously not expecting a miracle when it comes to the story, since it’s Hero Factory we’re talking about, but if the books are enjoyable I would certainly be willing to give them a chance.

So, just to repeat myself, has anyone read the books and are they good or bad?

5 Likes

READ THEM!!! Greg has put a freaking conspiracy theory against hero factory in them!!!

5 Likes

They are indeed a very enjoyable and slightly dark read for something from HF, good, as to be expected by Greg. Subplots and shenanigans abound.

I highly recommend them. So yeah, go for it, man.

8 Likes

I read them once. They’re pretty good, not quite excellent though. (I think Core Hunter could have been done better, given that’s his only story appearance…)

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers! Sounds to me that the books are worth reading, so I’m going to go ahead and order them.

2 Likes

Count me in too!

I guess from now on I won’t judge a book by it’s cover.

I’ll judge it on it’s author :slight_smile:

4 Likes

With a name like Farshtey, it has to be good. XP I couldn’t resist. XP

2 Likes

I’ve never seen this book before…

Bruizer is apparently a sculptor

And Bulk is the biggest Hero in the Brain Attack wave.

2 Likes

MLG topic revival

Out of curiosity, did you ever read the books? If so, what did you think of them? :stuck_out_tongue:

-Mesonak

4 Likes

Haha, how to revive a topic 101.

That book and a few others that are supposedly similar I did take a small look at, not sure if those particular books are worth reading though.

As a matter of fact, yes I did read the books and funnily enough I was thinking of doing a follow up regarding some thoughts on them but I guess it slipped my mind. Short version is that I enjoyed them all, and they are definitely worth a read. And this comes from someone who never was a particular fan of the HF storyline although I did enjoy it for what it was (at least until IFB).

A bit longer version, with some minor spoilers but nothing to worry too much about, is that I feel the books gave some depth (maybe not much, but enough to satisfy my needs) when it comes to characterization and world building. While I think the TV series did a decent amount of job when it came to the characters, I feel that the books made it a bit more interesting.

For instance, how Surge was in a sort of inner conflict during the course of the first book because he had a fear that he would become like Von Ness. The second book also gave some slight insight of why Von Ness eventually did turn evil and become Von Nebula, I still think that the particular moment itself is kinda weak but the extra insight does help a bit now.

But I think it was with the third book that it really took off, since it was there the aforementioned conspiracy started to come up. I won’t get into details here, but I really liked the addition of the conspiracy, since it’s like Farshtey said in the TTV interview, how it ties in to the aftermath of the Breakout and makes the world more believable. It’s shame though that this conspiracy never got wrapped up due to the cancellation of the books.

TL:DR, the books are very enjoyable and I can definitely recommend reading them if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like

I remember when everyone got hype for book 6 (because if I remember correctly they did sort of confirm 6, but I could be mistaken) and then everyone was mad.

1 Like