Are there any Pop Songs you actually like?

@frodobell I’m not American if thats what “murican” means.

Um… let’s see…

I’m… thinking… searching… trying to find… something… something…

Yeah, I’ve got nothing.

I’d just like to point out to you and others that Pop Music expands beyond the scope of what you likely think it is.

The realm of the Hot 100 is not filled entirely with Flo Ridas, and Ke$has, and the vapidness of it all.

There are indeed very serious songs in the pop world. Kendrick Lamar’s Swimming Pools, and I-forget-who’s Day 'N Nite are very much serious songs with kinda dark subject matters. Alcoholism, and Depression respectively. And both of them handle the subject very well.

2012 was a year filled with songs that were different from what you might perceive Pop Music as.

Somebody That I Used To Know, Lights, Some Nights, Everybody Talks, Rumor Has It, We Are Young, Rolling in the Deep(from 2011, but still in the 100 at the end of 2012), It’s Time, all of these.

Heck, I don’t even like all of those I listed(But I do a good majority) but I like to think they’re all very different from the usual perception of what “Pop” is.

Whoah, really? Linkin Park is obnoxiously overused in American films.

Transformers 1 and 2, AMIRITE? (I dunno about 3, though.)

1 Like

Yeah no joke.

Alright, I’ll admit it. I’m kind of obsessed with Shake it Off right now.

1 Like

Not a Pop song, but I hope it becomes one.

I’m in love with this. Daft Punk and Pharrell make a fantastic team.

1 Like

I love Enjoy The Silence from Depeche Mode, Last Kiss by Pearl Jam, Youth by Foxes and basically anything from Ellie Goulding. Also Toxic by Britney Spears, I even know the words.
I’m also Finnish, so I’ll just leave some Finnish pop music as well: Vedenalainen and Nettiin by Jenni Vartiainen and anything from Ultra Bra or Anna Puu (especially Nuori Loiri, a lovely electropop track).
That’s all, I guess. Unless you want to add Michael Jackson and Queen to the list.

1 Like

Beyonce, Lady Gagy and Adele are my favorite female Pop artists

Kanye West, late Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake are my favorite male Pop artists

1 Like

Iridecent from their album “A Thousand Suns” was used in TF 3

Also anything from P!NK. Habits (Stay High) by Tove Lo and the songs Afterlife and Girls Chase Boys By Ingrid Michelson. amd you can’t go wrong with linkin park

Is this topic meant to just be about recent pop music, or can it include discussion of older stuff as well? There are, like, thousands of pop songs I love from the 40’s through the 80’s, and a fair number from the 00’s (not that many from the 90’s for various reasons).

Yeah I didn’t specify time period, so if you wanna rant and rave about how awesome old music is, go ahead.

Hm…I didn’t really have anything specific in mind, but it seems kind of lame not to actually mention anything…so, I guess I’ll rant about something that interests me: what I call “proto-prog,” pop songs from the mid-to-late 60’s that began introducing more sophisticated techniques and instrumentation into rock. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

Notice that it’s in a minor key, doesn’t have a guitar, and uses juxtaposition of opposites in the lyrics to create a mysterious/uncertain feeling (“Was I surprised? Yeah. Was I surprised? No, not at all.”) None of that is all that unusual today, but it was pretty inventive (for rock) in 1967, and helped pave the way for a lot of things to come. Plus, it has a really nice melody, at least IMO. And it has an oboe solo; how often do you hear one of those in a pop song? Tl;dr, there’s this cool song that I like for really pretentious reasons. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Shake it Off, Blank Slate, How You Get the Girl, Style. I can’t defend my T-Swizzle likes, I just can’t stop listening.

Oh, and Uptown Funk is pretty great.

1 Like

Well, there is one song from the 80s that I like…

Todd did a pretty good job defending Blank Slate when he first heard it.

I mean, I personally haven’t heard it spammed too much yet, so I’d still call it A-OK.

I knew what it was gonna be before I even clicked on it. XD

2 Likes

I clicked it

ON PURPOSE

Uptown Funk is funky, I guess

1 Like

I like it. No real reason. I just do.

1 Like