Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra Discussion Topic

Hey! Somebody else with an Avatar-infatuated female sibling! I’m not alone in the world. :blush:

3 Likes

So I finished rewatching TLA recently, and man, that show is freaking deep. I knew it was deep before, but man. The characters and so layered and I actually feel for them, something that Korra lacks. Don’t get me wrong, Korra is a great show, but it’s not as deep as TLA.

3 Likes

What do you mean by “deep”? Could you elaborate on “layered characters”?

The Boulder is glad that he has been able to breath new life into a long inactive topic.

1 Like

I really need to rewatch this show… I used to watch its reruns all the time, and watched weekly when it was originally released. Gotta say it’s an absolute childhood favorite along with DBZ as far as shows go.

I haven’t watched tv in 2 years. I don’t have a cable box and don’t feel like making my parents or myself pay for it, as I’d hardly watch anything. I should really buy a disc set.

2 Likes

Korra was a complete mess.

But Book 3 was so good.

I’m not sure if it speaks to the quality of the series, but i dont remember book 3 at all, and even with a quick google search i can barely remember the plots of that season.

Meanwhile i have’nt seen Avatar in an even longer period of time, yet i remember more of that than Korra.

What did you least enjoy about it?

How do you mean? What do you think were it’s biggest problems?

That may be because the plot of ATLA was drawn out over the span of three seasons, allowing it to sink in more firmly–if you didn’t get it by the end, you hadn’t been watching.

Unfortunately, I just can’t agree on your assessment of Korra–not that it’s an invalid or unpopular opinion in any way. Sure, the plots were less cohesive than ATLA, but none of them were poor in quality. I guess I’m just getting tripped up by you thinking that it was messy, because I found the show to be remarkably clear in each season, and their weren’t any real inconsistencies or plot holes that I can remember. I don’t know–maybe we’re focusing on different aspects, but as @legomaster1378 said, I’d love to know exactly what you think could’ve made Korra better…

3 Likes

Here are a few examples;

Repeated episodes and plotlines

Several of the plot points and character growth are repeated in weaker ways in later episodes or seasons. We have some epic character growth only for characters to go on the same emotional journey in a filler episode that is trying hard to seem important. [/details]

[details=The Great Divide]]Need i say more, this episode took my enjoyment of the show and just curved stomped it into the ground with its ending. The idea of not basing hatred on the past is a strong one, but the overall ending of having Aang lie was handled poorly and weakened him and every other character in the epsiode who agreed with his choice.

This and other episodes represent a problem with Avatar, its character development was so good on occasions that when characters go out of character it almost utterly destroys the show. There were several points during the series where the development of a character is thrown away for the sake of that episodes plotline.

Nostalgia Critic covered a few of these including The Great Divide, but that episode remains the episode that almost made me abandon Avatar.

The Lion Turtle and the ending of the show

So the ending of the series… i hated it. The Lion Turtle seemed like an easy out and while it was hinted at it was never really developed and the existence of the Lion Turtle seemed more like a way to have Aang solve things peacefully rather than being smart. The ending of the series kept teasing fans to think of a way that Aang could win without killing, multiple fan theories sprang up, and the solution was an element that wasnt really introduced prior and seemed like something that a previous Avatar should have been aware of ‘Energy Bending’

There is an ongoing series of reviews of The Legend Of Korra on a channel by the name of ‘E;R’. I’m not going to link the reviews due to language, however you can find it on Youtube easily enough.

At the time of writing it is roughly two hours in length and there is still another part to be released, but he runs through the entire show in detail comparing every detail to the originals.

He runs over a lot of my main troubles with Legend Of Korra however here are a few of my main problems;

[details=Korra enters the series having already mastered three of the elements]Despite not being connected to the spirit realm, apparently never training and despite Aang having to spend several seasons worth of character development to do the same. This is clearly not a trait of being the Avatar as Aang would have learned it automatically.

I understand the potential desire to avoid retelling the same story of Avatar again, however to have Korra immediately start off with three of the powers undermines Aang’s journey in ATLA.
[/details]

[details=The entire art of bending is destroyed utterly]In ATLA the entire origin of bending the elements is a mystical art that was taught via the varying creatures. The wisest of which being the Lion Turtle who effectively came in to teach Aang energy bending. Another example is that the Fire tribe learned to Fire bend from the dragons, the water tribe were inspired by the relationship between the Moon and Sea which were shown to represent Yin and Yang (more on that later)

In TLOK the entire origin is retconned into being an aladdin style jerk who inspires people to attack and steal, then gets constantly given powers despite messing up over and over - eventually resulting in him stealing and acquiring all the powers via the Lion Turtle.

While its possible similar to my most hated episode of Avatar that this is intended to show the idea that history of elders is not always accurate - it goes against multiple episodes of the previous series. In addition the Lion Turtle’s mastery of powers means he gives powers to everyone.[/details]

The sport was useless and added nothing to the stories or plot

One of the many things that seemed added solely to pad the episode and potentially show off some animation was the game that Korra plays with Bolin and Mako. The original team mate they have simply leaves never to return with Korra filling their place. It never really goes anywhere other than i think an action scene, though that wasnt related to the game at all.

Its kind of like how people parody americanised anime or cartoons, where the characters ends up panicking over going to the prom or something similar when they have a threat to deal with. Except its never important enough to where you actually care about it.

I’ve spent roughly 10 minutes trying desperately to find a mention of what the game was called and despite reading through some basic episode summarise, it was never important enough to mention.

[details=Re-hashing of old plotlines]TLOK is notorious for straight-up rehashing plotlines from The Last Airbender, just done in a much worse way.

Its no wonder for example that the core concept of Yin and Yang is re-done in a much worse way. While the original series had “Tui and her counterpart, La, circle each other in an eternal dance of pushing and pulling” two fish-like spirits that had to maintain a constant balance so that everything stayed in order.

TLOK instead had Raava and Vaatu - not only getting the genders flipped around but also misunderstanding the concept.

There are other examples including the trials that the character faces and certain scenes being ‘homages’ to the original, but misunderstanding what makes them work[/details]

The writers pushed in a twist concerning LGBT aspects

I have no issue with showing varying relationships to people, love is love and whatever. My favourite episodes of Torchwood is the episode where Jack re-unites with effectively his male lover or falls in love with the person he took his name from because they handled it right.

Here however, its a footnote, it got a minor bit of development during season four but it was clearly a last minute decision by the writers and to me it contradicted all her advances towards male characters in previous episodes of the season, to the point where she almost tore Bolin and Mako apart because of her desire to get with one of them.

The ending of her deciding to go off

A general sense that the writers knew nothing about Avatar

As sad as it is to say, The Last Airbender movie was more accurate to the history of Avatar than TLOK. It understood the basic concepts, it had Aang spending an entire movie to master his element, it understood the characters and the world even if the writing let it down.

TLOK feels like they didnt watch ATLA and what they did see was snippets which they re-hashed.

• Lines of dialogue are re-used
  • Scenes are re-done with newer characters
  • Visuals such as energy bending are used for characters who blood bend
  • Blood bending is used to prevent bending of the elements
  • A spiritual connection is no longer needed to be an Avatar
  • You can now be born knowing the elements rather than learning them

The list goes on and on… it just feels like it was written by someone unfamiliar with the show and qoutes from the writers seem targetted towards the ‘tumblr’ audience - just follow Korra’s romantic relationshps through the series.

I do agree with many of your points, but I guess I am just a bit more forgiving.

(Sad part is, the writers are the same two guys who created and wrote ATLA…)

1 Like

Do you have any specific examples?

I can see how you would think ATLA’s ending is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina.

True, but what other option did Aang have to defeat someone who was effectively the most powerful firebender in the world?

I liked Wan’s story arc (it was one of the most enjoyable arcs of book 2 for me) but I agree that it unfortunately retconned much of what we thought we understood about bending from ATLA.

I didn’t really like Pro-bending at first and I’m still not a huge fan. I find that it takes away from much of the raw, mystical, natural nature of bending. However, the game did serve an important point in the story: it brought Korra, Mako and Bolin together and it helped to showcase Republic City’s new and interesting culture.

I’m just curious about this. Are Yin and Yang tied to specific genders?

Hmmm, I’m really curious about this one. Can you remember any specific situations?

One of ATLA/TLOK’s co-creators actually made a blog post shortly after the finale explaining Korrasami and the process behind it. He also said this:

I’ve watched the series at least once since and I have to see that Korrasami is hinted at on several occasions if you look at their scenes together in the right way.

I can see what you mean, but to me there’s a very simple explanation: Korra is bisexual.

I think this can be explained by their circumstances: Aang lived with the air nomads for all his life and only learned he was the Avatar when he was 12. He didn’t have the chance to learn other bending styles during his childhood. After he came out of the iceberg during the hundred year war, he was constantly on the run and had trouble finding adequate teachers.

In contrast, Korra knew she was the avatar when she was very young and she had access to the Order of the White Lotus: an elite group of earth, fire and air benders who were able to devote all of their time to training her.

Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino co-created both series, but they definitely tried to take Korra into some bold new directions. Unfortunately, not all of those directions worked.

3 Likes

I have to disagree with you there.

1. The finale was the best finale I’ve ever seen (of course my opinion), especially for a kids show.
  2. The Lion Turtles couldn’t really be built up because there’s only the one left and nobody really knows about it. Like sure it seemed a bit out of nowhere, but I didn’t really have a problem.
  3. The Energy Bending is an ancient art, dating back more than 10,000 years ago, created by none other than the Lion Turtles. They just taught Aang how to use it.

The reason they did this was probably so it didn’t feel like a repeat of TLA and so her go around the world and have to master the elements in each book. You’d probably be complaining if they had done that too.

Not really. It shows how the culture has evolved since the defeat of the Fire Lord.

Um, okay? And you only really listed one example, and it makes sense that they’d be similar because light and dark is a common theme in both series.

As Legomaster said, it was actually built up since the beginning of Book 3. The only problem really is that they tip-toed around it as opposed to committing. Either commit or don’t do it at all.

Pretty much all the writers worked previously on TLA, actually.

3 Likes

Aang killing Ozai would have gone against everything Aang stood for as an air nomad. He was taught to value all life as sacred.

As for the second option… how can you handicap a fire bender? Blinding or amputating Ozai wouldn’t have changed how dangerous his fire bending was.

Going to be a long one, so please take time to read through. Will probably reply to Invader later, but this one took a while to gain and double check all the sources.

I just mentioned a few of them… Nostalgia Critic covers in larger details the main problems people have with Avatar in his ‘worst episodes of Avatar’ video. He mentions the repetitive plotlines, noteworthy inconsistent moments of character development, etc…

In the first season he shifts into Avatar Roku. In the finale of the first season he merges with the water spirit. Given the comet grants power to the fire benders, i honestly thought that they were going with the twist that the comet is the physical interpretations of the spirit of fire.

Aang would have battled with the fire lord, eventually getting to a sort of stalemate he enters the Avatar state and connects with the fire spirit. He would then be able to remove the powers of the fire lord without energy bending or simply defeat him in battle. Would have been more established in the series than the Lion Turtle and a nice callback to the first series. Another option i thought could have been Aang humiliating him - in a similar way to how the fire lord humiliated Zuko.

Wan’s story for me didnt work. They tried doing aladdin and he never really earnt any of his powers. He starts a war, unleashes an ancient evil and even leads a few people to their deaths when he prevents them from catching food to feed the village.

Thanks for letting me know what it was, honestly could’nt remember it. Its nice that it brought everyone together and i kind of like how they’ve taken something mystical and powerful and essentially used it for entertainment - but it never led to anything which i felt was the problem with not planning ahead.

Yin and yang, core elements of Chinese cosmogony, involve correlative aspects of “dark and light,” “female and male,” and “soft and hard"

In the show its the opposite way round, presumably this is to have Korra make more of a connection with the female spirit and people often associate darkness with ‘evil’.

Though i’ll talk more about this in response to your comments about the blog post.

For a start the overall progression of the characters is a flipped version of the progression of Avatar. This isnt necessarily bad, but its interesting seeing how the characters effectively got weaker, worser or generally less likeable as the series progressed.

Scenes are re-done

Character types are cloned, the one missing from this image is Jinora who shares a similar design and a similar roll, being the key to balancing things in the second season.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/28lx6hi.jpg

Certain scenes mirror the previous show to leech off the emotional energy you felt watching Avatar

Lets first examine this statement;

While he was co-creator of ATLA, he only worked on 7 episodes (8 if you count the unaired pilot) I get the destinct feeling he was unaware of a majority of the plotlines outside of those episodes.

Lets examine this statement;

Bryan konietzko worked solely on series 1 and the first half of series 2. He was not given any credit in terms of writing in later episodes… which is odd considering his statement is referring to Season 3 and 4 specifically given it was made after the show had ended.

For the final remark, lets examine his attitude;

• Its incredibly dismissive, the idea that whatever you feel you need to accept it
  • It actively insults straight people by the remarks that being straight somehow makes you bias against other sorts of relationships. It also goes against the massive outcry from LGBT fans that the relationship was not handled well, effectively a direct insult against them by calling them straight if they disagreed.
  • It was made specifically after the show ended, three days after, almost as if this was a response to the immense backlash telling everyone to effectively ‘shove it’

His comments also contradict previous events;
“Once Mako and Korra were through, we focused on developing Korra and Asami’s relationship. Originally, it was primarily intended to be a strong friendship. Frankly, we wanted to set most of the romance business aside for the last two seasons.”

He keeps mentioning ‘we’ but his writing credit is not given. He mentions the intention to save the relationship for the last two seasons, yet Korra was never planned for four seasons originally… It was clearly planned for one season originally with the option of more seasons later if it was succesful.

Now that we’ve examined the facts of what he worked on specifically, we can see clearly he was not credited as writing any episodes that apparently introduced Korrasami. Every episode he worked on supported and enhanced the relationship between Korra and Mako.

The season that he specifically wrote in its entirety, as a season that could have originally being the only season of Korra… was entirely showing Korra getting together with Mako. In book one, Korra was a good girlfriend to Mako, treating him with respect, kindness, and gentleness. The series ended on a touching kiss between the two.

In book two, it is specifically after Bryan konietzko’s last credited episode that Mako breaks up with Korra. Her character does a 180, she becomes angry, rude, violent and dangerous. Korra however is still left pining for Mako for the entirety of season 2 and the season ends with them finally accepting that there relationship didnt work. Also note how he doesnt refer to it as Korra and Asami but instead the tumblr created ‘Korrasami’.

Through all of this we discover what appears to be the truth, he likely disagreed with the decision of breaking up Korra and Mako - reluctant to be credited on the episode they broke up or any episodes after that. He’s merely chiming in on the response, if it was foreshadowed at all - it definitely wasnt done by him in Season 1 or the first part of Season 2.

After looking into Bryan konietzko’s influence its clear to see he intended Mako and Korra to be together for the series one finale - this is how season one ended. It was also unclear at the time whether Korra would get a second season, so they focused on a relationship with Mako.

He even tried to keep this the status qou in series two, however for whatever reason he was dropped from the episode writing and the show’s Mako and Korra dynamic changed massively in the episode after.

The implication was that she never trained and knew it all from birth, explaining her rude interactions with Tenzin. Otherwise her interactions with Tenzin make no sense.

Bryan konietzko as we’ve established was trying to make a succesful show, his episodes focused around world building and mirroring the touching style of Avatar. The characters all started their journey at the point where the Avatar crew ended theirs, effectively meaning they would’nt have to re-tread the same character growth.

Mike DiMartino however is interesting, he is credited for episodes afterwards and is the sole person credited for the episode that cemented the Korra relationship. If anyone was going to write a blog post, you’d expect it to be him - however instead the other creator did, the one who had no influence in any of Season 3 or Season 4…

====

#Overall conclusion;

My general thoughts on how i feel everything went down;

Season 1, Korra was planned to be with Mako

The idea of Korra being best friends with Asami was written as such by Bryan konietzko who admits the intentions was for Asami to be a strong friend. He intended to make the Mako and Korra relationship the focal point to cause the most tension amongst the characters;

• Bolin would have been jealous of Mako
  • Asami could have been jealous of Korra

We briefly touch on this dynamic during the seasons and the times when she was a rival for Mako’s affections were somewhat reminiscent of the dynamic between Aang and Zuko - in that they were rivals that became friends. We see examples of his writing and character development being set as if he just came off the previous series.

Unclear whether they were going to be able to air a second season, this first season was scripted to end in a way that would have been ‘final’ had the show’s reception been poorer than what it was.

Season 2, They decide Mako should be Korra's friend instead

Due to creative differences that likely resulted in Bryan konietzko becomming more of an advisor than a writer for the show, his idea of keeping Korra and Mako backfired. He needed to give them an emotional journey, yet had written himself into a corner by having the two end up together.

As such Michael Dante DiMartino came up with the idea that they should have relationship troubles, writing a split between the characters with Korra suddenly doing a character flip that contradicted all of her actions previously. Interestingly is that it was Mako who broke up with Korra, Korra then spent most the series still wrapped up on Mako.

The amnesia plotline was introduced to give a general sense that perhaps they may end up together again and Mako eventually redeemed himself by telling Korra, which resulted in Korra accepting the break-up via announcing she was breaking up with him. Thus ending series two with the two as friends, having over-come

Season 3, The switch to online and the fan service

Season 2 had a bad effect on fans, who avoided watching the series on Nickelodeon resulting in it effectively being cancelled, switching to online only. This effectively crippled the show and it desperately needed something big to bring fans back, however season 3 had already been written at that stage mirroring Aang’s defeat at the hands of Azula at the end of Season 2 of ATLA.

The script as a whole is noticeable a lot more similar to ATLA, as i’ve shown with images previously a majority of which come from Series 3 and Series 4. Michael Dante DiMartino can likely be explained as the reason behind this given at this stage Bryan konietzko was effectively out of the picture.

Season 4, A big event to be remembered for all time!

Things are normally remembered for their endings, rather than the paths that they take to reach them. In this case, Korra needed to end on something big to make fans remember it, especially after the switch to online.

Season 4 primarily dealt with PTSD in a way that was a sort of extension of the first episode of Series 3 of ATLA. Admittedly it was handled in an interesting way and it is here we see the relationship between Korra and Asami actually change a little, though its clear the writers, if they did intend for it, planned to do nothing with it other than reveal it at the end of the show in its entirety.

Honestly them planning Korra & Asami from the start would mean they effectively failed to give a romantic storyline between the two of them for a minimum of two seasons, along with the idea that both Korra & Asami dated the same guy rather than each other.

(May do minor edits to this to fix spelling and things)

Now, let’s be fair here–just because a person isn’t involved in writing doesn’t mean they aren’t involved with story. Both Mike and Bryan were heavily involved in all aspects of both shows (this is chronicled in the art books for both series, as well as other media, in which they both provide extensive behind-the-scenes info that someone who is only partly involved would never know). They both also interact with fans frequently, and both are well aware of everything that was done in both shows. You don’t have to be involved in the minutia of the final product to be a major contributor to all of the things that came before it.

I get where you’re coming from on the “recycled” plot lines/characters/etc., but I always viewed it as something similar to what George Lucas intended for Star Wars–a story that cycles between similar themes to create parallel journeys. In a show that has a reincarnated character as its main focus, it makes a good deal of sense.

Now, as for the Korrasami thing, I’ll agree that more frequent hints at its development would have been better. However, there is an explanation for that which may satisfy you. Both Mike and Bryan stated that they were wary of the possibility that Nickolodean would resist the idea of introducing an LGBT relationship on the show, so their initial hints sort of inhabited a “quasi state” based on the uncertainty of whether or not they could actually do it. It was thought of before Book 3, if I recall correctly–once Nickolodean agreed to it, they were able to make the hints much stronger.

4 Likes

I just felt they could have handled it better. Aang could have heard about energy bending before and it could have been this mystical aspect that he has an episode or two trying to master, but eventually fails and is told ‘it will come to you in time’

Ignoring your assumption about how i would act. Korra does travel around the world, just slower and without a purpose. She travels solely out of boredom from being cooped up training - at least learning the elements could have given her a motive and helped her progression.

She also never was mentioned as mastering these, she was just born with the powers. It does however i suppose explain why she dislikes Tenzin as she never learnt anything from her mentors - who were meant to teach her the elements but she just randomly had mastery over three of them.

Showing how the culture has evolved is nice. Seeing the overall game not add to the plotline, development of the characters and barely tie into the story other than Korra running off once - it was disappointing. They could have expanded on it and we’d see other game’s based off bending - perhaps a few people would rally outside one of the events protesting against using bending as a sport (mirroring those protesting about benders oppresing them)

I managed to track down the other co-creator… and guess what, this time he isnt rude, sexist or lying and he doesnt mention anything about it being established beforehand. He even flat-out confirms that they were just friends up until they left together, supposed to symbolise a romance and a progression of times.

#Mike;

• Mike co-wrote the entirety of series one and some of series two
  • Mike was credited solely for writing the episode that confirmed the romance
  • Mike explained very factually, calmly, clearly and kindly why the decision was chosen
  • Mike respects the fanbase and explains that he never intended to capitalise on the LGBT community
  • Mike admits that they didnt become a couple or a relationship until the spirit portal scene in the final episode, implying that while it may have been teased, the relationship started at that point and not before

Mike’s article

In lamens terms, this guy is essentially the Greg Farshtey for Korra, caring about the community enough to calmly respond and even acknowledge that some may dislike the story and thats ‘ok’

#Bryan;

• Bryan only was credited for series one and the first half of series two
  • Bryan didnt write the final episode
  • Bryan insults heterosexual people implying they are sexist, contradicts himself multiple times and generally seems like someone you would’nt want to look up to
  • Tries to pass off the idea that its been in the works for two seasons, despite this contradicting how the show evolved
  • Tries to say they’ve been a couple for a while

Bryan’s article

In lamens terms, he wanted to stir up the fanbase and create an atmosphere of hatred directed at sexism.

To me this signals that it was Mike’s idea to do the final scene and that even if it may not have been planned from the start, that he had good intentions - which is a consolation for those who didnt enjoy the Korrasami relationship ending. I may not like the ending because i felt it was underdeveloped, but at least Mike treated it calmly and respectfully.

Personally i’m more in line to trust someone who calmly explained and respected the fanbase (Mike) than someone crying out how everyone is sexist for not realising how great a writer they are (Bryan)

Also note the way they adressed the fanbase;

• Mike from his personal site of intellectual prowess
  • Bryan directly speaking to tumblr

I think you’re severely mischaracterizing Bryan here–the way you describe him makes it sound like you think he’s just the “sell guy” for the shows, the one that’s supposed to “stir things up,” when he’s really much more than that. I’m not sure if you read any of the fan reactions to the reveal in its direct aftermath, but there were some pretty nasty things said about the show, the writers, and the creators, many of which had little to do with objections to the way the relationship was handled…a lot of them simply objected to the fact that it even existed, for one reason or another.

I really don’t think Bryan tried to insult anybody, and he’s certainly not responsible for anyone being offended at his view of the truth. I also believe that his statement about Korra and Asami being a couple for “a while” was in reference to the intent of making them one, not an attempt to imply that they were in a relationship prior to the final episode, which they both acknowledge as the official start of the romance.

I had read both of their articles before, but I read them again just to freshen up on them, and I’m having a hard time finding anything in Bryan’s post that was explicitly antagonist or “hateful” towards anyone. On the contrary, I find both pieces to be incredibly heartfelt and eloquently written. Sure, Mike’s is less personal and more focused on the handling of the scene itself, but considering how close the two of them are, I wouldn’t be surprised if he avoided saying some of the things Bryan pointed out for repetition’s sake, as both of them seem to share the same perspective on this.

I’d be happy to hear what portions of Bryan’s article you think either contradicts Mike’s or foments antagonism, as I am honest when I say that I can’t find much.

2 Likes

His ‘view of the truth’ was incorrect, as he himself mentioned. I already mentioned this before.

• Bryan thought the Network were sexist and would’nt agree to portraying a lesbian relationship on TV
  • The network however was supportive, with a natural level of restrictions in place for what is still a children’s show. Kissing for example would be fine while further aspects were not
  • Bryan however still views the Network as sexist villains who must be made to change their ways

If Korra was planned as a lesbian from the start, it can be Bryan’s sexist mindset and the idea of an ‘unwritten rule’ (Basically nothing to stop him except himself) that prevented a better representation of a lesbian romance. He personally messed up chances of a good lesbian representation occuring in The Legend Of Korra. It was all vague and got shoved into the last episode due to his sexist views.

Other cartoon shows before Legend Of Korra that included LGBT relationships and actually did them right;

• Gravity Falls, made it clear the relationship between two male characters existed from the start.
  • Adventure Time announced its lesbian relationship publicly three-four months before Season Four of TLOK ended.
  • Hey Arnold which also aired on the same network as TLOK had Mr. Simmons as a homosexual character and Eugene Horowitz described as a "kind of ‘proto-gay’

To go over all of them would flood this page with too many comments to count - and lets be honest here, i doubt most of my responses are being read through otherwise you would have noticed how Bryan unintentionally admitted to being sexist and ruining chances for Korrasami to be more noticeable.

Instead, i’m going to analyse the main one’s. Examples fill the posts, but its a lot of qoutes so rather than that, i’m just going to point it out. Some of the following may have been unintentional - so you can decide that i guess.

Contradiction 1;

• Mike says it was not to make a statement
  • Bryan states that it was done to make a statement and the majority of his post is a rant about the Network and ‘unwritten rules’

Contradiction 2;

• Mike remarks that the relationship started at the end when they entered the portal
  • Bryan implies it was an entire story arc that spanned two seasons.

Contradiction 3;

• Bryan implies the finale’s final moments were in refrence to “Varrick and Zhu Li’s nuptial pose from a few minutes prior”, however as demonstrated with visual evidence shown in previous posts the scene is directed/made to mirror the end of ATLA instead

Antagonistic remark 1;

• Bryan states that anyone who didnt notice is heterosexual or viewing things via a heterosexual lens. This itself implying that heterosexual people are sexist by nature and blind to other forms of relationships.As a sidenote this also connects with contradiction 2.

Antagonistic remark 2;

• Bryan’s entire viewpoint on the Network, and the idea of an ‘unwritten rule’. An unwritten rule is not written as the name suggests, meaning it is something he applied himself. Thats how he views the world, in a sexist mindset.

Antagonistic remark 3;

• Bryan referring to the LGBT population as queers or non-heterosexuals. Neither were the correct term to use since the early 2010’s. Queer meaning strange, odd, spoiled or ruined. Even to this day the word is highly controversial and the reason why it is the ‘LGBT community’ instead of refering to people as Queers.
1 Like