Avengers: Endgame

Oh, yes, I forgot about her in all that excitement but Tony’s death was more impactful.

Non-spoiler thoughts for everyone who hasn’t seen it yet:

This movie is an indescribable masterpiece. As @MichaelTheLightBringer said earlier in the topic, Endgame is a love letter to every Marvel fan, a recapitulation and remembrance of all that has come before it. The Russo Brothers were right about one thing: this movie is NOT Infinity War, Part Two. It is a unique film with its own tone and purpose. I do have to admit one thing in a non-spoilery way, and that is that some of the concepts and events in this movie could come off as a bit convoluted or confusing–they’ll certainly open up debates between the fans. But, for all the complexity, I haven’t yet found a glaring logical flaw, which is truly remarkable.

What’s also remarkable is the visual aspect of this movie. The action and special effects are once again stellar. There are moments in this film where I had tears of joy in my eyes because of things that I saw. Of course, there were tears of sadness as well, as this film does bring with it major losses. However, those losses are unique in that they are completely satisfying, and have a meaningful impact on the story as a whole. And fear not that this movie will be all drama and “doom and gloom,” because the other thing about Endgame that I did NOT expect was…it’s utterly hilarious on many, many occasions.

All right, now for some SPOILERS:

There are so many things about this movie that deserve attention, but I can’t possibly highlight them all, so here are a few that I loved which won’t get too many words: Professor Hulk, Fat Thor, Korg and Miek, the return of Sitwell, Pierce, and Crossbones, Cap in Peggy’s office, Tony and Nebula’s relationship, Pepper’s Rescue Armor and the all-ladies battle scene, the Ancient One’s role, Loki’s escape, and everything with Spider-Man.

Now, the big moments. I think the scene between Tony and his father is one of the greatest in the MCU. Tony has lived in the shadow of his guilt over his father’s death for as long as we’ve known him, so to see him resolve that guilt in person and finally wish his father a proper goodbye and thank you was a moment so poignant that I’m tearing up just thinking about it. As much as Tony is a hero, I think we must also give great credit to Howard Stark for showing him, and us, the way through all these years.

Natasha’s death on Vormir was an absolutely heartbreaking moment. Her and Clint fighting and racing each other to be the one to sacrifice themselves was a beautiful manifestation of their friendship. At the very last, Black Widow gets to wipe out the red in her ledger, and she does it by saving the universe itself. Not a bad way to go.

The second Snap and the ensuing final battle against Thanos were executed flawlessly. The trio of Cap, Iron Man, and Thor facing down a younger, more tenacious Thanos was a concept that worked really well for me. As soon as Cap raised Mjolnir to save Thor, I was cheering and crying with amazement, and the entire theater was clapping. Then came Sam’s “on your left” line, and the moment we’ve all been waiting for. Seeing every hero the MCU has included in these movies line up to face down Thanos’ army was a spectacle I knew we’d see, but never actually comprehended until I saw it. On the back of this battle alone, I’m confident Endgame will go down in movie history.

At last, we must come to the saddest moment in this film, the one that had me silently shaking with tears in my seat. Tony’s ultimate sacrifice for the universe, using the Gauntlet to destroy Thanos and his army, was beautiful and haunting. His last words, “I am Iron Man,” will be remembered forever, but the most heart-wrenching moment for me was Rhodey, Peter, and Pepper’s farewell to him. Pepper telling him that he could rest now broke me, and the funeral afterwards was equally devastating. Tony Stark has been a part of my life for eleven years, and Robert Downey Jr. has acted his heart and soul out to portray him. The reality of his exit from the MCU is one I may never fully accept.

As sad as I was about Tony’s fate, however, Cap’s fate made me equally happy. Seeing him disappear to return the Stones and then return as an old man, having finally gotten the chance to live his life with Peggy and have that long-awaited dance, was the most beautiful ending he could have had, and was a perfect ending for the movie itself. Steve Rogers has left his mark on the world as Earth’s first superhero, and there was no better way to see that great man bow out and leave his life of heroics behind.

There’s obviously so much more to discuss than I’ve mentioned, and I doubt anyone could effectively encapsulate this film after one viewing. Avengers: Endgame is truly a great ride, the end of one saga and the beginning of another. I feel fulfilled, empowered, and also drained after watching it…and I still have to ensure this week’s episode of Game of Thrones.

3 Likes

Have we seen a marvel movie that wasn’t funny at all though? Also what mindset should one go into it with? Should I just think of it as another marvel movie?

@Toa_Heatwave I agree with you with all of that.

@EmperorDuckie If I may, I think you should go into this movie with a opened mindset and let yourself be surprised, just go there have a opened mind and let it be blown away, that’s what I usually do when I go watching movies. I thought maybe this advice might help you too.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks

1 Like

No, think of this as the big movie. It’s not just another Marvel movie; it’s the Endgame.

[spoiler]I still dislike Pepper Potts, and am mad she rescued Parker, because now I have to like her, at least a little.

AND CROSSBONES AND PIERCE!!!

And, like, everything else! It was so good![/spoiler]

Noah after this movie you can’t dislike anybody, it will do a big disservice to it. I mean it’s freaking ENDGAME!

I didn’t exactly mean not a big teamup crossover, but whether I should think of it as another big teamup crossover or even bigger

I can dislike Pepper Potts, but no one else

Hmm… Probably bigger, I’m not sure…

1 Like

I would say neither. Think of it as a team-up in the style of Avengers 1, but with all the context we have now. However, I’d be remiss if I didn’t call it a crossover. What it really is is a culmination, a last hurrah for this saga of the MCU, and one that you can only truly appreciate as a fan who has been there from the beginning. It’s hard to describe, so I’d say an attitude of being prepared for anything will be your best bet.

On the humor, yes, most of the MCU movies have been funny. The humor in this movie is much the same in many areas, but there are some things that are just more funny than others because of the atmosphere surrounding them, and the sheer absurdity behind them (it’s hard to explain, but you’ll see).

I haven’t seen the movie (though an enemy spoiled it) but I’m pretty sure their gonna make sequels

Actually, there won’t be any more Avengers movies.
There will be several stand alone films and sequels to other movies, though.

Well till the new avengers are made…which I won’t lie, I don’t think I’ll get used to.

1 Like

Wait, no more Avengers movie? Who confirmed it?

Meepinater :laughing:

I believe it was Kevin Feige, but I’m not sure. It could have been the Russo Brothers.

I really am not sure what to think of this.

1 Like

There may be some sort of “new avengers” thing, and in fact there was a rumor about an all female avengers team.
But none of the OG guys.

If it’s not Avengers, it’s not a team-up movie

1 Like

My best bet it would be called the New Avengers or something like that.

1 Like