Bad Things in G1

Technically, death too.

They were going to release the swarms again, which means a lot of matorans would be killed/destroyed.

Their purpose was to cleanse the Island of Mata Nui itself (not the inhabitants) and would only attack the matoran when attacked
On the topic of Bohrok, I also feel the Bohrok-Kal are severely underrated and could’ve been more

1 Like

For the record, I haven’t read Maze of Shadows, I’m still trying to get all the books I’ve not read through inter library loan. Also, the whole thing about Dume being an “Orwellsian dictator” would be true, but before he was replaced with Makuta, he seemed to actually be a very good, level headed Turaga. Also, another problem I have with the Vaki is that they were underplayed. There was more focus on the morbuzak then on on them. Also, the OP Vaki seem to be more out of paranoia then out of desire for control, though there paranoia does make sence given the circumstances, I suppose.

1 Like

To me, the first three years were the only good years. Those were the only years they preserved any kind of mystery.

And no, this is not nostalgia talking. I didn’t get into Bionicle until 2004 or 2005.

Is that why, while most of my '06-'08 joints are broken, while I still make extensive use of my '99-'03 joints? Because that would explain allot.
@TBT_Emerald, What’s so bad about '05? Also, there was a dark blue Wenua (whenua?) mask in '07.

The fact that the serials were never tied up.

4 Likes

That’s what I meant when I said the last mask recolor we got was the Ruru.

The heroes looked more like villains, the destruction of Metru Nui (The year before we were introduced to a place that the matoran belonged in, and we then get the visorak completely deforming the place.), there was a good ending the year before, and the year would have better served as a return to Metru Nui.) The functions weren’t that good, especially in the canister sets.

Of course, the worst part was Vakama’s betrayal. For a being that really only wanted to do good, to do his duty, it doesn’t make sense that he would defect. Like a lot of others, I feel Matau would have been a better candidate for the betrayal part. Better yet though, I would have preferred a new set of toa, like the chronicler’s company or the metrutoran. I feel that if they had done that, Akamou, Kapura, or Hafu would have been much better in that role than Vakama.

That was sort of the point. There as no cohesion between the Toa going back to Metru Nui and returning to Mata Nui with all of the Matoran. In creating an overrun Metru Nui, there is more conflict to be had and thus keep the story interesting.

The Toa Metru were constantly at each other’s throats before 05, so this aids character development as they have to work through anger (and appearance) to defeat the common foe.

Those are chickens.

7 Likes

Even greg said he would have preferred it if matau was the one who betrayed the others

3 Likes

The upgrades were always stupid and Ex Machina. The lifespans for dudes was also kinda nuts.

I mean, they’re mostly mechanical, so it makes sense.

1 Like

Okay, first of all, Metru Nui would have probably been in ruins from age if they returned anyway, so it might as well have cool spider webs all over it. Also, the heroes looking like villians was kind of the point. I can’t speak much for the functions, since I only had one visorak, Iruni, and some rahaga. Although I will say that the rahtooka spinners were the best bionicle projectile weapons by far.
I think that Vakama’s betrayal makes sence. He is thinking that the ends (fulfilling his destiny), would justify the means (joining Roodakah). And, having Matau be the traitor out of vanity would’ve just been shallow. If they wanted someone different, they should’ve gone with Nuju. Like they say, it’s always the quiet ones that you’ve got to watch out for…

1 Like

That is why I said that the setting would have served better as a return to Metru Nui. It natrually would have been overrun by the time they returned, so that is where you get the conflict.

In Legends of Metru Nui, when the toa were fighting Teridax, they were not at each others throats. They had to work through their anger for that, and in the end had enough unity to create a protodermis cage.

Personally though, I would have liked it if the metrutoran became the toa for '05. Akamou would have been a better traitor, as he basically was a traitor the entire run of Bionicle.

But still, out of the toa Metru…

What point? Please clairify. And if you are talking about the Hordika venom, that seems more like an excuse to me.

The hordika function was only moving the elbow. For a set function, that is rather underwelming.

I rather like the Rahtooka spinners also, but they were not the best functioning projectile weapons. I prefer the Midak Skyblaster, as you can fire it from any angle, and the ammo won’t fall out.

The Visorak’s function was the pincers. I find moving the pincer pieces a few millimeters to be underwhelming, like Keetongu’s torso sliding foreword and the Hordika’s elbows.

Then there’s Keetongu’s and Roodaka’s weapons. They function rather well, but they are held loosly, and the parts flop around. Unfortunately, that is rather unavoidable.

Chickens with claws and sharp teeth?

Yes. Haven’t you ever seen a chicken?

5 Likes

Yop, I have some in fact. And the Bahrag only resemble chickens whe their legs are bent wrong.

Just because I said the fandom is bad doesn’t mean I hate being in it, good sir. I’m in a lot of bad fandoms, doesn’t stop me from enjoying the parts of them that don’t suck.

Hmm. Fair enough then.

I just pretend everything after 2003 (besides the reboot) doesn’t exist. I truly feel that 2001-2003 and 2015-2016 are the only good years because they kept any kind of mystery, and the Toa still seemed special.

And no, this is not nostalgia, I mainly got into Bionicle during 2005. I truly believe this.

1 Like