Bad Things in G1

“Movie Edition” Kraakhan.

Actual Movie version of Kraakhan.

I fail to see any sort of resemblance between the two

13 Likes

Just saying, I kinda liked 2005. Yes it was kinda shoehorned in, the “but wait, there’s more!” of storytelling, but Web of Shadows was one of the better movies to me, and it’s really the first year of Bionicle I got into, so there’s the nostalgia going. 2009 was a waste, to me. They could’ve done a lot more with those concepts the had going.

3 Likes

I liked 2005 a lot too. Aside from the bad character writing for Vakama for Web of Shadows, the story was still pretty good. It was a fresh take on the story IMO. And the Toa Metru had the best team dynamic, I just loved reading their stories.

But seriously, I really don’t get people’s complaints about it feeling tacked on. Maybe if you completely ignore the books and decide Legends of Metru Nui is the only thing to pay attention to in 04 maybe, but Vakama kept going on and on about how dark the story got and how he didn’t want to tell the Nuva. Nuju got all pissed at him and said “Hordika” before Vakama told the story of how they got back to Metru Nui. “Maze of Shadows” was an 04 story that pretty much did nothing but set up the next year, with the Rahi fleeing Metru Nui and the growing tensions between Vakama and the others.

Well, the books (and most of the comics, I believe) were only available in the US.

So LoMN was just about the only story material available to most of the world…

My biggest peeve is the fact that Love Isn’t Canon.
And I was so looking forward to a Jaller/Hahli/Kongu love triangle… sigh
Oh, yeah, and Hewkii x Macku. Who could forget them?

Other gripes:
Inika Clones
The Mistika line in general
Roodaka (I’m done looking at your artwork, fanboys… =_=)
Squid Launchers
No Recolors of Modern Masks

And finallly…
My (second) greatest gripe…
The Toa Mata. They’re overrated because of the nostalgia factor and they prevent some fans from ever liking anything new to BIONICLE. Oh, you hate that the G2 Toa have clone-y builds? Guess what. The Toa Mata were all clones of each other. Get over it.

8 Likes

All the unfinished story serials, like the yesterday quest, and others.

1 Like

… I’ve actually never heard this complaint, pretty sure everyone agrees that the new toa have very different builds

6 Likes

I haven’t ever heard it online, only from a few of my friends. That was what I told them.

I didn’t like how the Mask of Life being alive and had its own thoughts + personality was never really brought up again.

4 Likes

I grew up with bionicle from the beginning of g1 and I loved the original sets, but when we take off the nostalgia glasses you have to admit the mata and nuva were pretty terrible, and yes they started it all but that shouldn’t be an excuse for them not being very good

2 Likes

Sets before 2004 having bright colors. Sets after 2003 having darker colors making mocing with both a pain in the rump.

6 Likes

It’s a struggle, I can tell ya that much.

2 Likes

so true

15 Likes

I never really understood why the plant was called Karzahni. I know it means something in matoran but I can’t remember what

1 Like

There was a plant?

1 Like

Because Karzahni was a being from Matoran myth (except he was real) who inspired terror in the hearts of lesser beings. Makuta thought it would be an apt name for his creation.

Have an article.

Mata Nui being an over complicated sentient robot who’s purpose was just to restore a planet.

Apparently G1 had a tendency to just sloppily give reasons as to why some things in BIONICLE existed. Want an example?

They overcomplicated death by making the dead dudes go to a magic spaceship in the sky piloted by aliens and have it coincidentally break so it’s not useful anymore.

2 Likes

Lemme pull out my list… ahem

2001:
The mahiki stone’s random inclusion in the story. I’m almost confident the cancelled video game would’ve covered the stones, but we never got it

The scrapped 3 finger island. So much better of an idea to trigger the bohrok than makuta directly waking em up after his fight
2002:
The bahrag’s appearence having absolutely no relation to the Bohrok

Lack of an actual MNOG this year

The uselessnes of the Exo-Toa, would’ve preferred the queens to be defeated with the suits tbh

2003:
Cop out ending to first arc with the vahi

Animations for the Kal were VERY rushed in pacing.

Nuva symbols are random

Kohlii match between taka and makuta, just stupid in general

2004:
Not much from this year honestly, I never really understood ahkmou’s motivation for being annoying

2005:
Sidorak

Had no one heard of this mystical keytongu living on Metru Nui back when it was populated?

Vakamas dumb teenage angst

2006:
Piraka should’ve been given more personality, too many of them were just “grrr I have a temper” zahktan was an exception

Weird inika masks

I honestly still don’t understand Brutaka’s side change, what caused this? Maybe I just missed something

2007:
Mask trolling everyone for no reason by plunging underwater

Why didn’t axonn follow the team underwater? Could’ve really used his help

Matoro’s weird dark phase, I get it was setting up his death but it came out of nowhere

The ENTIRE point of Voya Nui falling back into place. How did the people on the island not drown? Did the island go underwater? Wouldn’t drowning an island ruin a lot of homes, wildlife, etc? Also are we to assume there was a hole in the ceiling of Karda Nui the size of Voya? If so, Karda Nui should def be completely submerged in water.

2008:
Av Matoran were unneeded. I much preferred Takua being worthy of becoming the Toa of light, instead of the coincidence that he’s simply that type of matoran.

Pohatu’s color change, plus how stupid the concept of flying around like a helicopter is.

It was never really explained why the keystones were scattered, they were simply a plot point for more collecting for the Toa to do.

Almost everything about Bitil and his powers. Dear god I’m not gonna get into it but it causes SO many plot holes.

Krika should’ve grown a backbone and switched sides

2009:
Berix

Mata Nui not freaking out to get back, dude give a crap about your universe, will ya?

Underdeveloped map

2010/Serial stuff

I can’t cover it all because there’s so much random stuff

Obviously the open ended and never finished stories

Red star made death pointless for anyone pre malfunction

Velika being a GB Is absolutely random and silly

Where the heck did Garduss go, did he just abandon Pohatu and Kopaka?

Phew! That’s all I can think of for now, there’s more serial stuff but I don’t want to get into it

6 Likes

Really? Huh, I actually thought that was a cool twist. Plus, he’s really the only MU inhabitant that makes sense as a disguised GB–what with his quirks and all…

4 Likes