Bands That Grind Your Gears

You don’t always have a reason for hating them, you just do! Maybe you just think they suck! For me its Fall Out Boy, Paramore, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Metallica, AC/DC, Guns 'N Roses, Blink 182, and Panic! At the Disco, to name a few.

3 Likes

Practically every modern band and Pink Floyd.

1 Like

I’m currently in a love/hate relationship with Simple Plan. On one hand, they’ve got some phenomenal hooks and I love a lot of their songs. On the other hand, the vast majority of their music focusses on either poisonous post-breakup hatred or idolizing women.

1 Like

Never heard of them.

I HAAAAAAATE Nickelback.

3 Likes

Boy bands. Just - all of them. Every boy band ever, except maybe the Beatles. They’re old enough that they get a free pass. But yeah, ‘bands’ don’t usually annoy me, it’s music made by just one person who’s completely full of themselves that get to me.
Taylor Swift.
Ariana Grande.
Snoop Dogg.
You get the picture.

2 Likes

Every boy band ever…

1 Like

The Beatles are the greatest Rock band of all time. Listen to Paperback Writer. Listen to Drive My Car. Listen to Lovely Rita. Listen to Getting Better. Do those songs sound anything like anything put out by One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer?

You must have missed something

Anyway. There really aren’t that many bands that grind my gears… mostly because I don’t bother to listen to music that I don’t like and control most of the music I hear.

2 Likes

No, they don’t, which is why I made them and exception. I rather like what they did musically, but their lyrics aren’t really as great as some later bands. They did have a couple really great songs, though.

No I saw that. It said MAYBE the Beatles. Even worse, he said he’d give them a free pass because they’re old. He doesn’t have the authority to give the greatest band of all time “a free pass.”

You’re telling me you’re never heard Welcome To My Life, Summer Paradise or Jet Lag?

Warning: Minor suggestive content

I actually like all of these…some of them (mainly Pink Floyd) are among my favorites… XD

I’m not fond of Nirvana, Tool (mostly just because of some of their fans), and a lot of (though not all) Christian rock bands (and I say this as a Christian myself (not to derail this topic into a religious discussion. :stuck_out_tongue: ))

What makes you say this? Sure, the lyrics of a lot of their early songs are nothing special, but many of their songs from Rubber Soul onward are exceedingly insightful and witty. Personally, I’ve found few bands with lyrics that are as interesting to think about.

To be fair, just exactly what the greatest/best band ever is is highly subjective. I’d say the Beatles are unquestionably the greatest in term of influence, but it’s a bit more open to debate whether or not they’re the “best,” if that makes sense (and I say this as a big Beatles fan. :stuck_out_tongue: )

@legomaster1378 Not gonna lie, I thought you were talking about Simple Minds at first. XD

4 Likes

Man! Pink Floyd’s music is for those who enjoy being depressed and like to wallow in their misery.

At least we agree here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, though if I may, I know of a few really good semi-Christian rock bands: Five Iron Frenzy, braveSaintSaturn, The OC Supertones, The Insyderz, The W’s, MxPx, and Roper, to name a few. The ones I mentioned all have a very different sound than normal Christian bands, which is why they’re more obscure.
Pretty much, I don’t like the stuff they play on Christian radio unless I’m in church. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I could get behind this with a long-winded rant about musical style. Simply put, I’m exposed to a lot of Christian music that throws virtuosity out the window, has lyrics that turn me off or don’t reflect what my life is like, and can just plain be irritating. I appreciate, and can get into, Christian music in a worship setting, but (with a few exceptions) can’t stand it as music in itself.

1 Like

I hate it when they play contemporary christian music during Mass.
@legomaster1378 I listened to those three songs by Simple Plan, and I wouldn’t listen to them again. I really don’t like pop punk bands and bands that put too much emphasis on the hooks.

2 Likes

ICP

My brother is a juggalo :frowning:

1 Like

Well, I can’t speak for others, but I don’t wallow in my own misery. :stuck_out_tongue: Though I can kinda see where you’re coming from–most of The Wall is really mopey (the overall theme seems to be “geez, it’s just awful being a super rich and successful rock star who can afford anything he wants!” :stuck_out_tongue: ) I don’t find Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here to be depressing overall, though.

I know of Five Iron Frenzy and the Supertones; they’re pretty cool. Definitely not run-of-the-mill.

I’m one of those people who doesn’t even like it in church; give me hymns! :stuck_out_tongue:

YES! Exactly. I recommend giving Neal Morse’s music a try–he makes Christian rock with a heavy emphasis on virtuosity.

Yup, agree here too. A lot of lyrics in mainstream Christian rock repeat the same very basic themes over and over. That’s ok at times, but you need to dig deeper at some point.

1 Like

Linkin Park. Now hold on, I don’t hate their music. It’s just that they are played so often in my house I’ve gotten so sick of it.

4 Likes