Battle of the Vahi(s)

6 Likes

I big missing variable in this hypothetical battle is that the combatants you describe have no personalities. Maybe that sounds stupid, but a person’s psychology plays heavily into how they would fight.

1 Like

I’m not sure the G2 Vahi works the way you think it does.

Ekimu implies in GN2 that it shows you the future, not a possible future. So it will either show the wearer themselves winning or losing, and whatever outcome it shows cannot be avoided.

I would expect it also does not show the future in enough detail to work out when a particular attack hits you, for example, because dodging that attack would be a paradox.

It all depends on the structure of time on Okoto, and whether Ekimu really knows how the Vahi works (though I would support his interpretation since it agrees with G1’s “no time travel” rule).

2 Likes

That’s only if you subscribe to the “the future is already written and cannot be avoided” thing that they have in G2, I personally think that having the entire future set in stone is boring and unrealistic.

As for the paradox of dodging an attack that would have hit you, I feel I need to clarify, in my example the G2 Vahi does not work continuously. The wearer is not constantly seeing a minute into the future or anything, rather, with each activation, he is able to see a certain distance into the future (variable by the user dependent upon what is necessary for the situation) and are then able to act accordingly. So, rather than them seeing into the future and seeing themselves get hit, which would create a paradox, they see the attack coming like any normal person would and then activate their mask in order to find what actions lead to them not getting hit.

I feel that I should also mention the reason that the G2 Vahi can’t account for the slowing down and speeding up of time made by the G1 Vahi is that I believe that it would only show you what actions are possible within the normal flow of time, or in other words, the G2 Vahi can’t comprehend or predict other alterations being made to the time stream by forces other than itself.

1 Like

I think the G2 Vahi has a power that hasn’t been considered yet.

We know that the Toa were summoned to Okoto via the temple of time. We know the G2 Vahi had a hand in that. If the temple powers the mask, then my point is moot. But if it’s the other way, and the mask powers the temple, then the G2 Vahi might have time travel powers. Or at least the ability so summon others from the past to aid in a fight.

1 Like

Regardless of weather or not it has that power, we know that doing that took a ritual involving multiple participants and the mask sitting on a pedestal with no one wearing it, as such I don’t think it would be relevant in this fight.

True.

All right,I predict that G1 Vahi would win.
The wearer would speed up time in his opponent, effectively aging them to death.

While this is technically possible, it would be a very delicate procedure and we know that the G1 Vahi was notoriously difficult to control. Now in this scenario we are assuming that both protectors are competent in their ability to use their masks, but I feel like something like this would be beyond their skill level.

Something I would like to point out is that Greg Farshtey himself gave a solution to Nicholas Cage-type powers in one of the Ninjago Graphic Novels (I can’t remember which off the top of my head). Sensai Wu had to confront someone who could see a certain amount of time into the future. His solution was to build a small cage that was wide enough that it would take over a minute to escape. Wu lured the ninja to what was the center of the cage and then sprung it. Although the ninja saw the trap being sprung a minute ahead of time, by the time he reached the edge, a minute had passed and the cage was sealed.

Now of course, none of the villagers might be as smart as Wu or even have time to construct such an elaborate trap, but who knows?

A trap doesn’t really fit into this scenario, this is more of a gladiator style fight, one on one in an arena.

Well when Vakama and Tahu used it, they did so effectively…just also on them selves. So if the wearer were willing to die in order to kill the wearer of the G2 Vahi… I think it would work.

Or just much, much younger.

What? Didn’t they fail in both their cases?

Vakama succeeded in slowing time around Makuta, but as he had also done the same to himself, it was Lhikan who had to intervene.

Tahu also succeeded in trapping the Bohrok Kal in the effect of the Vahi, but also did the same to himself and the other Toa Nuva, so they were unable to do much, and the effect was rendered null when the Kraata Kal turned silver.

Vakama and Tahu were not able to use it effectively, using effectively would be to hamper your enemy without negatively affecting yourself, also, in this scenario the combatants are identical in every way except what mask they are wearing.

Okay then.

Use G1 Vahi to slow down time around your enemy so that for every second that passes for them, ten minutes pass for you.

True, they might be able to see an hour into your future, but hopefully you can take them out before the few seconds they need to see the future elapses.

This is a interesting topic, i’ll write something about it when im home.

I have a different question: what happends if the two mask get put together and someone wears it? Side effects? One thing cancels the other out? What power will they have?

Edited for Double Post - Prpl

Presumably wearing the “complete” Vahi would give you the powers of both of them, as well as possibly the ability to time travel, seeing as neither of them have that rather obvious power…

1 Like

What?

Tahu didn’t slow down the other Toa at all. He succeeded in using the Vahi properly and slowed the Kal, but then their Krana turned silver and formed a shield. Slowed they were, but the Toa still couldn’t do anything. Until Gal realized they could feed their power to the Kal.

So actually, Tahu DID use the Vahi effectively.

~W12~

2 Likes

I don’t think that the G2 Mask of Time works exactly like you wrote, and I highly doubt that it could be used in a fight effectively, because the wearer (especially if it is a Protector or Okotan) would faint and fall to the ground anyway…

As far as how it works mechanically, this is my interpretation of how I think that it’s powers would be best utilized in combat. As far as it’s difficulty to use, I believe that it would be at least as difficult to control as the G1 Vahi. As far as the hypothetical protectors fainting due to lack of power, I only said protectors because they are able to wear and use masks (unlike matoran) while also having no secondary powers (unlike toa, Makuta, brutaka’s species ect…) Which would factor into the fight and change the results.

2 Likes