BIONICLE 2015 Discussion Topic

Eh, I don’t buy it. If the island was already elemental to an extent, then the great cataclysm didn’t affect much on a grand scale, and I think it really dampens the impact of the event as a whole. in “The Legend” we see the Okotans living in mixed communities with flourishing fauna around them. I think the idea of the island of Okoto originally being fully jungle not only separates it from Mata Nui in terms of aesthetics, geological features and cultural growth giving it its own identity, but also helps to give us this vision of a paradise that was scarred by the questionable acts of a jealous man whose greed drove him to try and obtain a power that no mortal should have. It makes the impact of the great cataclysm more emotional and catastrophic in my eyes.

exept the main problem is that then Uxar’s element was the dominant one on the island.

this is the main problem with the over all story of Bionicle G2. In all of LEGO’s story elements, they threat the island of Okoto as if it allways was a six elemental looking island and not an island that was scarred by a catastropy, heck… this is what the latest chapter on the Bionicle page “The Hunter” is saying about the cataclysm:

“Ages ago, after Makuta had betrayed his brother Ekimu, and the great explosion had scattered Okoto’s power masks all over the island, the Elemental Creatures found the Mask of Control. Fearing that Makuta would one day come looking for it, they hid in the safest place they could think of: A shifting maze constructed by a tribe of ingenious Okotans during the island’s earliest times.”

notice how they do not mention the idea that the island was damadge in the explosion, they just say that the masks where scatterd all over the island.

given what we know from the Ryder Windham Interviews, its clear that LEGO just came up with whatever random plot point they could add onto the story and that for all LEGO care about, Okoto allways was a six elemental island.

1 Like

They don’t mention the elemental damage from the explosion because it’s not relevant to the exposition they’re trying to give there. They’re trying to lead into Umarak’s goal, and they’re giving us information on what happened to the Mask of Control. At no point are the changes to the island important when the main goal is to give everyone an idea of what happened to the Mask of Control, and the feats Umarak will have to go in order to track it down.

That doesn’t matter, because that’s beside the point. We’re talking about canon info here, and while the books might differ, they’re meant to give us and expand upon the information that we don’t get in the visual driven media like the animations and JtO.

im just not going to be supriced if Bionicle end with Okoto still looking as it does, and no body ask why the island did not heal.

1 Like

Personally I don’t feel the same way. Segregating communities and transforming the land to something familiar yet horrifyingly near apocalyptic in the blink of an eye strikes me as a traumatic experience. Okoto being at least partially elemental in the begging makes more sense to me considering the Elemental Creatures, the ancient Protectors having the same titles, and the need for varied resources by the Mask Makers to make elemental masks. Not to mention in “The Legend” we do see that when Makuta dons the MoUP the Region of Stone still looks like a desert.

For me the difference between an island paradise whose elements once worked together in harmony to an extremist landscape that looks at war with itself paints a disturbing picture of what sort of consequences can come in the pursuit of ultimate power. Okoto’s very name is balance, and what was once lost must now be regained.

1 Like

You know what we need? Ask Merlin

2 Likes

That’s the whole point of a cataclysm in my eyes. It’s supposed to be a traumatic event regardless of its extremity, but I think going from absolute paradise to something completely awful sets the mood a lot better lol[quote=“Triple, post:12294, topic:71”]
For me the difference between an island paradise whose elements once worked together in harmony to an extremist landscape that looks at war with itself paints a disturbing picture of what sort of consequences can come in the pursuit of ultimate power. Okoto’s very name is balance, and what was once lost must now be regained.
[/quote] Fair enough. We see this in a different light, and both of our view points are just as justified I think. I find your ideas interesting, and I think that an island where the regions existed before the great cataclysm, only to be thrown into a civil war of sorts after it shows imbalance more than immediate segregation, but I also think that each of our interpretations bring different yet equally tragic circumstances that would lead to a satisfying conclusion once peace is restored.

1 Like

Now that is an excellent image.

1 Like

Regarding the state of Okoto before the great cataclysm, I still support the idea that it’s all lush jungle. I think the Creatures roamed all over the island back then. Each represents the aspects of nature that are necessary to sustain the island.

Ikir and Melum are heat and cold, both maintained the intricate balance for the right temperature and climate. Ketar and Terak are rocks and soils, the ground for everything on Okoto. Akida is water that nourish all life. And lastly, Uxar is plantlife that populated the island.

So every Creatures worked “in harmony” to create that all green Okoto. And having all elemental Creatures doesn’t always mean Okoto need to have six differrent terrains.

However, the Great Cataclysm then radically changed the island and divided the Creature, confining and creating niches for the each Creatures instead. Thus concentrating only one elemental energy into each region, resulting in six elemental regions.

And now that the Toa managed to unite all six Creatures again, I think the balance of the island will be restored, and island will finally start to heal itself (if not for the destruction UtD will cause I supposed).

1 Like

I guess bionicles doing really bad over here

I know it’s late, but I want to share a little thing I discovered.
If you look closely at the far right in the 2015 episode “Tomb of Ekimu”, at roughly 1:16, you can see a mask on a pillar that looks a lot like a skull mask (you can see the “vents” in the mouth area and a bit of the grin), and that made me think that the Russian exclusive gold skull mask may be canon (sort of).
Or maybe it’s just a non descript mask and I’m seeing too much into this.

3 Likes

Maybe…it also kind of resembles a Hau.

On another note, I only just noticed in the same episode that the interior of the tomb has a map of Okoto on the ceiling…

1 Like

Local mom gives her opinion on Bionicle 2015 Skullies and interviews her kids

4 Likes

She was surprised that the word skull wasn’t too mature for LEGO!?

3 Likes

She probably thought that Skull Slicer meant “the guy that slices skulls”…

7 Likes

Not relevant but I found this on bricklink.

6 Likes

$850 for that beautiful mask…hm…I’ll pass.

3 Likes

They are selling a plastic mask for the price of Astatine (not really but whatever)!!!

4 Likes