BIONICLE 2016 Discussion Topic

Its just a video of someone scrolling through the artbook, kinda pointless.

2 Likes

Speaking of that image, I would have really loved to get that leg armor piece. Kinda reminds me of the new Star Wars one, but with elemental energy on top of it. Looking through some of the other art, you can see similar pieces pop up as well.

Also, this makes me want to learn some sort of CAD software and start making some of these pieces…

1 Like

This art book is so beautiful. My favorite part so far is Tahu’s Fire holo shield. Reminds me of my favorite Doctor…

3 Likes

Looks like a holo-buckler to me, which doesn’t make it any less cool.

That’s interesting. So Okoto used to have “steelwood” trees, apparently.

12 Likes

So is the stuff in the artbook canon?
well the small stuff like “steelwood trees”?

1 Like

I would have loved to have a shield/addon like that, it’s a shame they didnt take that route

2 Likes

Depends on who you ask.
While others may say ‘no’, I personally would say ‘yes’.

If we looked at the shockwave which made Okoto change from one whole flourishing jungle region into the six Regions of canon, it kind of makes sense.

ANCIENT steelwood trees.
These I could see in the Region of Jungle, where the strongest and oldest types of trees were able to withstand the shockwave.

But, like I said, depends on who you ask.

EDIT:

Not really.
It shows a lot of interesting things all at once rather than having to click multiple links to find it.

Anyways, a silver and purple Makuta would have been cool.

4 Likes

I’d say these were ancient trees that slowly spiraled into extinction while the trees on Okoto currently are truly wood. These steelwood trees could’ve been used by ancient Okotans to make the first masks before the dawn of forging. From there, either the trees were consumed without adequate replacement, simply ceased to grow anymore and new, fully wooden trees took their place, spreading faster and lasting longer, or where destroyed during the Cataclysm (maybe one or two of the oldest trees survive in the Jungle Region) and fully wooden trees grew in their place.

As for whether the stuff in the artbook is canon, like I previously said, it depends on the individual. To me, steelwood trees do have a part in the Bionicle story, as do the Creature concepts. However, it’s up to the reader to mix and match different concepts and essentially build their own lore and canon. So, in short, only if you want it to be.

I think that this artbook is MNOG levels of awesome.

8 Likes

some of them remind me of the jumpers from HF

1 Like

Steelwood when it rusts becomes brown like regular wood, but still mentains the durability (that explains Umaraks chest printing).

2 Likes

Non-canon due to corporate Lego believing that children are too dumb to comprehend metallic trees, and would just add unnecessary clutter to the universe

Who cares about canonisity in G2, fanon of G2 is arguably better.

6 Likes

I think it’s less lore-related and more “We don’t have enough money and resources to make a new shell for this wave”. We could argue that Umarak’s mask is steelwood, though.

2 Likes

Or his entire black shells and mask are steelwood…but lack of budget made it hard to convey.

1 Like

I’d like to believe so. Does that make Umarak a druid/archer?

2 Likes

I like the idea of Umarak using wood from an anchient three in creating his mask and armor. For all we know, the three might even have mystical properties too.

1 Like

the one on the left is how I was imagining corrupted villager masks would look like.

Also.
Sauron Mask

https://thecollectiblesstore.be/images/source/xUCU40232_a.jpg

5 Likes

“Great Spirit, your trap is so adorable!”

“Thanks.”

7 Likes

It could’ve also been an early concept for Bionicle G2, considering one of the buildings in the background has a very similar shape to the Avohkii, which was the placeholder mask for the MOCr.

Also, lightning is an element in this art.

So, are those creatures with arm cannons? And are the traps from the Incredibles? And does this remind anyone of gundam and sci-fi anime?

2 Likes