Bionicle Commercials, general discussion topic.

We’ve all seen them.
We all love them.
Lets talk about them.

5 Likes

I like how the same guy has narrated the commercials since 2001.

1 Like

I actually think its been two. One narrator went from 2001 to 2005, and then Tony Wedgewood went on from 2006 onward. Though they sound similar enough that I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same guy doing all of them, and he just changed his voice a bit half way through.

Compare the voice in this commercial

To the voice in this one.

1 Like

I have so much nostalgia for the 2007 commercials - they’re practically mini-movies.

2 Likes

Some of the best there is. Beautiful narration, wonderful direction, amazing animation. There are few I can think of that top them in these aspects.

6 Likes

Well you did forget about the guy who did narrated the Toa Mata commercial and that’s rapper in the Piraka commercial.

3 Likes

“I’ll take it from here…” Ahh, the memories. Forgot that version of the commercial existed, actually - with Crashed instead of Face Me.

2 Likes

It’s definitely two separate people. Wedgewood’s work with Advance/Lego predates Bionicle, and he sounds the same back then. Couple of examples:

[details=Summary]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiS7JLz0XeQ&list=PLVrotqT19heupDLgQSpTX38gpe45EGRQm&index=7

3 Likes

Loved these commercials. There was a sense of maturity about them, like the ad wasn’t talking down to you, instead opting for a more serious tone. That’s what I liked about Bionicle back then.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

The 2007 commercials are so nostalgic for me it hurts. There’s just something so epic about the way they show off the characters that’s enthralled me since I was a kid.

I would say the original 2001 commercials were top tier for me. The CGI ones with the impressive graphics at the time. Second would be the Toa Inika. I actually missed out on that wave, because my parents were forcing me to outgrow my childhood. Nevertheless, the commerical, and definitely the song, stuck to me.

1 Like

Hey, you’re back!

Anyways, I love the Mata commercials, they’re just dripping with atmosphere and mysticism. The Creeps From The Deep one was good as well.

1 Like

Bada bing, bada boom, I resurrect this rhyme from its doom!

Been thinking about the commercials the last day or two thanks to this topic, and I really just wanted a place to gush about Creeps from the Deep, which is probably my favorite of all the Bionicle commercials.

First off, Tony Wedgewood is at the top of his game with the opening narration, hitting a perfect balance of forebodance and intrigue. It strikes a balance with the visuals of the Ignika sinking further into the black depths: the further the Ignika sinks, the more you’re drawn into what’s happening. Indeed, the whole introduction from the start to when Dekar is blown away at the altar I dare say is perfectly paced and executed. When Kalmah destroys the altar, you’re as blown away as Dekar is.

Speaking of, the introductions of the Barraki are executed ingeniously. Each one has their own time to shine, which is remarkable considering the length of the animation. While that in and off itself isn’t unique (the Piraka commercial similarly had individual moments cut together to make a feature length add), the Barraki introductions here feel much more natural and organic, as befitting what this really is: a mini-movie. While the aforementioned Piraka commercial throws their names right at your face, this animation has no hand holding. Instead, it slaps you in the face and says “go find out for yourself if you want to know more.” Which I think is brilliant on so many levels.

But back to the Barraki themselves, their moments are just so good. Particular standouts from when I was a kid was Ehlek nomming down on that lightstone and getting all electrical, and Mantax arising behind Takadox from the bed of bones. The first time I realized that latter part was happening absolutely blew my mind. And nowadays, I just love the bit where Pridak gets his head stuck in the hole Dekar falls down. It’s a blink and you’ll miss it thing, but it just brings a smile to my face.

And the ending! That final narration! Just, ooof, chef’s kisses all around. And the very ending of it, the narration of “and if you think your troubles are over, you’ll soon find out, they’ve only just begun” paired with the enclosing darkness as Dekar is dragged off is brilliantly ominous. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a commercial (mini-movie or not) where a protagonist hecking dies like that at the end of it.

Just, everything about it is amazing.

And all that’s not to say I don’t like the other commercials either. The Inika walking up to that chain link fence is Iconic, with a capital “I”. And the Mahri commercial/mini-movie! I can’t tell you how many times I rewatched it from the “I think that mask belongs to me” part onwards as a kid. But, if there was one Bionicle commercial I had to choose from them all, Creeps from the Deep is the one. Hands down.

EDIT: And the music! How did I forget about the music!? The song fits perfectly with both the ad and the year as a whole. Bionicle’s no stranger to utilizing great music to its advantage, but this year is where the songs started to feel different, thanks in large part to Cryoshell’s breakout performance here. The more… soulful, I suppose is the word?, tone it has when compared to, say Hero or Move Along makes it a standout. Just another reason to love Creeps from the Deep!

2 Likes

No …

Et tu, Bruté?

2 Likes

It’s a fun rhyme!

1 Like

It is a prevarication of the utmost slander. A mantra of the occult forces, the battlecry of the demons. I don’t see what’s “fun” about that.

2 Likes

wish the toa inika got a few more; hell, i think the paraka got more of a build up than them