BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

That looks excellent, Galva!

I’m not going to speak for Eljay, obviously, but I think that kind of artwork would be acceptable for the second half of the contests. It’s very similar to the models I’ve seen from Vrahno and others that Eljay mentioned…

2 Likes

Repeating this because it still doesn’t seem to have been addressed, particularly the photoshop part. I still fail to see any appreciable difference between painting or dying a piece and digitally recolouring it.

2 Likes

I’m very glad your character models are allowed. It reminds me of the Miramax movies except you don’t stray far from the mask design you came up with. This is where the fun begins!

Are we able to post pictures of our builds in advance and still be qualified? Like say if we finished our Marendar MOC but the contest has not officially started yet.

I don’t know the official answer, but from just my perspective it makes more sense to hang onto it and get the wow factor of the reveal when the contest begins.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s fine.

@Eljay, In the art portion of the contest, will we be allowed to depict characters in an environment, or just against a void? Also, can we depict the model alongside another, canon character (like having Bomunga (he had the mask of rahi control, right?) riding on a muaka tiger).

Also, presume if you’re allowing digital 3-D art physical (clay, wood-carving, etc.) is also up for grabs, right?

Regardng 3-D printed parts, if a modeler has decided they are making their parts fair game for the contest, must that include all of their parts, or can they only allow some that they explicitly state are creative commons?

Even more pressingly must we use a mask for the purpose the creator intended for it? If I were to use someone’s mask of healing as a mask of psychometry, would that be allowed?

And, finally, a quick suggestion that probably won’t go anywhere, but might be fun. Since there seems to be a large gap between MOC contests, which makes perfect sense since people need time to plan and gather parts, perhaps between those contests there could be smaller art-only contests of lesser consequence (like contests to depict rahksh spines/staffs).

It can be in an environment, but it must only be the one character you are illustrating. No others.

No.

Any pieces used in a MOC. And that is up to the 3D modeler. If they decide not to allow them, they aren’t allowed to be used.

Whatever mask is on the MOC (in the case of Helryx, Tuyet, and Artakha) won’t matter. It’s whatever is being illustrated

We’re not doing those. Our goal is to not clutter things with menial contests to canonize things that only serve as trivia at the end of a wiki page.

1 Like

Are we allowed to base the masks in the artwork off of models that are in the creative commons, even if we didn’t create them (with due credit, of course, to their creators)?

Also, if a MOC that’s won a contest has a isn’t mask-less, will it in its base form be entered again into the second contest? If the creator made a MOC that was intended to have a certain head on it, it would feel unfair for that head to be disqualified if the MOist lacks the capacity to create a good artistic depiction of it. Otherwise, if at must be there, it would seem fair (though admittedly very tricky) to provide winning MOCists with an artist to depict the MOC with the mask/weapons the builder intended.

1 Like

It’s gonna depend. We’ll get more into that as we get closer to the art portion, though I’m leaning toward no at the moment.

One MOC gets moved forward into the art portion. The art portion is to design a piece of art to be displayed on BS01 and to design the canonical mask. The design could totally be the mask used on the MOC, or it could not be. It’s - again - going to depend.

1 Like

After taking time to think about this, I want to make a public statement about this contest : in order to offer more options and choice of pieces for the candidates, I want to offer the services of the IronFoam Armory to anyone wanting to use my 3D models.

Many of you may know I got a shapeways shop, and that I’m a seller in the first place. To celebrate the incoming canonization of several important characters of the Bionicle franchise, I’m willing to bring you my collection and state to the TTV team that I allow any participant to use them.
However, there will be rules to follow. I won’t release my entire shop at once on thingiverse, so after consulting Eljay and Mesonak here is the process to follow to have acces to my models :

First, you have to know what you want from me. A tool, a mask… please take first a close look at my shapeways shop in order to make your idea of what you want, it’s the most complete display of what is avalaible. Second, contact me personally and clearly state you want to enter the TTV contest and tell me what model you need. I’m counting on you to only ask for what you need and not for files for personal use. According to the agreement I got with TTV, at this moment I will make three things :

1. provide the asked file to the candidate.
  2. release it publicly and permanently on thingiverse for anyone wanting it afterwards.
  3. lower permanently the price of the model on my shapeways shop to no markup in order to offer the same chances to anyone not having a 3Dprinter.

This offer implies that you know what I have to provide first. Of course, any use of my work should be credited.

I hope my contribution will be helpful !

18 Likes

Thought of another thing in this regard - who determines if the breakdown photos are fine? Would we wait for someone official to tell an entry yes/no or is it along the lines of “if nobody complains it’s fine”?

I have a question: If design for a mask of certain characters will be decided separately through drawing contest, does that mean that we will never actually get to see the entire character in a single picture ? Doesn’t that kind of undermine the purpose of the contest for having an official representation of characters ?
Additionaly many people complain about not everybody having access to 3D printed masks, but no one is concerned about masks that don’t even exist in physical form ? Current rules for 3D printed pieces state that they must be made publicly available for free, but what about drawn designs that end up being official - if someone will want to recreate the MOC, they either cannot do so or have to design a 3D model (which will no longer have to be free because it wasn’t actually used in the original MOC itself, defeating the purpose of this rule).
In order to avoid this, someone would have to be commisioned to create a 3D printable models for the winning entries of the masks.
My personal concern is not having a visual of a character in one package, but fragmented.

PS: I myself am all for 3D printed pieces.

2 Likes

No, in the drawing part of the contest the illustration will be of the character wearing a mask designed by the illustrator

Ok, I see. My second point still stands however… If the illustration is 3D then it would be less of a problem, but what about 2D ?

Will the art section of the contest start immediately after the 22nd? I’m sorry if someone asked this already.

@ToaKebaka Personally I would draw the entire MOC as well, as well as a whole turnaround. We’ll see what the rules for the illustration section will be.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

in regards to mocing are tyres aloud?

No. The voting would have to occur first.

1 Like

Does this apply to parts that originally had multiple colors, such as this?

Would a part like this need to be monochromatic, or can we color each section independently?

2 Likes

can tyres be used in the mocs to add more mass to parts? such as putting them over limb piece’s or no?

2 Likes