BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Looking at my parts there’s another thing I’d like to ask: I got my pieces from all kinds of sources, and some look the part. Of course I’m not talking about using broken pieces, but what about pieces that show some serious wear?

For example:

2 Likes

As long as it wasn’t intentional and doesn’t drastically alter the piece, damage the piece, or require someone to damage a piece of theirs for recreation, it can be looked past.

7 Likes

Will Greg only being doing canonizing or would he be game for adding minor details after the winners have been announced, like Kanohi names? (Eg the Mask of Shielding is called the Hau but the Mask of Psychometry doesn’t have a name) Or will those and other similar details be addressed and focused on in future contests?

(Also it might be controversial for me to say this but I’m still holding out for Marendar trivia from Greg just so the eventual winning design doesn’t feel as hollow)

He will only be canonizing the appearances of characters. Nothing more. He no longer has a list of names approved by the legal team to devote to the BIONICLE world.

We’ll inquire with him, though we may not get anything. Marendar is a relative unknown, but it’s possible Greg had more in store regarding his appearance.

2 Likes

As much as I was sad that we didn’t have these contests back in 2010-2012, now I wouldn’t even dare to join as my mocs are nowhere near the EPLUG’s. Even if I do, my mocs wouldn’t make to the finals, as I can’t use the techniques what they do, and those make their mocs more superior than anyones… But tell me if I’m wrong please.

1 Like

CCBS and Ben 10 parts are a thing too

4 Likes

If you bought the green mech dragon from the Lego Ninjago movie you’re pretty much all set for building artahka lol

8 Likes

I have one major issue with this contest and that’s recognisablilty because it feels like this contests gonna ruin alot of the matoran universe aesthetic with too custom toas for already established toa teams in example Nidhiki or the Toa Hagah who should be clearly Metru builds.

With that said it would be nice if their was a rule that the moc must fit whitin the aesthetic of the Rahi/dh contest winners because I personally believe those contest entries to have captured the matoran universe aesthetic quite well or at least that mocs should be akin to the old style of bionicle.

I don’t know if you are gonna implement special rules for different contest but I personally don’t want another Toa Nikila situation were the model don’t fit with the rest of the bionicle characters all to well. Krakua is another example of this but he is at least reminiscent of that style early bionicle had.

7 Likes

Another thought: how will the voting process work? Will it be one vote for all 50+ entries at once, or will it be bracketed like it was on BZPower? (I sort of prefer the former, seems more fair.) Can the ordering of the entries in the poll be randomized every time the web page loads? Obviously, entries near the top of the list would have a huge advantage.

2 Likes

When including a drawing of the character for the mask contest, what’s the criteria there? Does the art have to be completely “set accurate” or could it be stylized, cartoony, a tracing of a picture of the moc with an original mask drawn on, etc?

1 Like

I’m relieved I don’t have to use only one color for Artakha. I’d give sand green and gunmetal a shot, since you don’t have to exclusively use the former. You can probably balance both colors and come up with the Bionicle equivalent of Sauron for Artakha, such as using the jagged spiky armor on Artakha’s shoulders.

Edit: Sand green, gunmetal, and gold worked well on a certain character in TCW and it would work nicely on Artakha. Spoilers for the seventh season of TCW though

5 Likes

So, got an extra question - are off-brand pieces allowed, provided they have the same quality as brand pieces? In many cases, off-brand CCBS and even G1 sets provide various recolours not given by regular pieces and as such are used by many MOCists.

I’m very excited for this. I don’t think I will be able to post mine for the contest because I don’t have an actual MOC for Helryx herself. This was the MOC of Toa Helyrx that I’ve made on Lego Digital Designer way back in 2010. I have all the Toa Mata sets at home apart from Onua but I don’t want to risk taking Gali apart and build the real thing.

They didn’t have Toa Mata pieces but I specifically imagine Helyrx to have a somewhat resemblance of a Toa Mata design with silver/or blue shaded body armour piece with HF Breakout Shoulder Armours with a silver Mace and a possibly oversized (?) Mistika piece as her personal shield. The mask I picked was Breeze’s helmet piece.

Just want to let everyone know that they can take my idea for Helryx. As I wanted to pitch and sell this idea to those whom are participating the Helryx build.

I wish everyone all the best!

4 Likes

I agree with most of it except for the 3D printed pieces. No, i don’t think everybody has access to 3D printing machines, and even if they do, in some countries they are extremely overpriced. I think there should be a poll regarding this topic if people agree with 3D printed pieces being used or not. Aside from that, i’m loving it, you guys are doing a great job imo. Let’s go!

6 Likes

Regarding the Toa Mangai, they came from a lot of different regions and backgrounds, so they probably would all look different. The Hagah, too, were all independent of one another before being assembled as a team.

I think the rule about Stud.io and LDD is meant to counterbalance this, and some creators have disallowed the use of their parts anyway.

3 Likes

Meanwhile this is true I still believe that toa within teams should at least in a visual representation strive for uniformity. Then it should also be noted that Irunii and Norik share the same build and that they both was originally intended as Nidhiki and Dume which should give some merit to the Metru build being the standard variation of toa. Furthermore the conflicting designs in team members is gonna look messy and weird.

In the end I personally feel that many contradicting design decisions in apperances is gonna ruin the worlds overall cohesion and believability.

I know very well that this is something that we all have different views on and that’s why I think a more cautious approach is needed so we don’t end up with creations deviating too much from the bionicle design astethic because it indirectly damage the worlds overall realism.

3 Likes

I must disagree.

Of all the Toa we know to have a Metru build, only Norik and Iruini were not influenced by Dume (that we know of). And Lesovikk, Jovan, Krakua, arguably Nikila, none of them were Metru builds.

That’s the point, though – all the Toa Hagah are from different teams. If anything, the fact that Norik and Iruini share the same build is more unrealistic, as it is quite a coincidence.

3 Likes

I can jive with just about all of the rules here, other than the allowing of painted parts. I understand allowing painted masks and weapons, but allowing paint across the board seems excessive.

It seems to me that it would make more sense to make painted parts follow the same rules as 3D-printed parts:

3D printed pieces are limited to masks and weapons, for a total allowance of four (4) 3D printed pieces.

This lets people give any character any mask or weapon and have it match their color scheme, but also keeps people from entering MOCs that are entirely painted in non-official or even non-Lego colors (and means that excessive painting won’t be required to recreate a character’s official design).

7 Likes

DEFINITELY gonna enter at least one of these, its been a long time since i’ve designed a MOC, looking forward to contributing!
also i hope you guys do nidhiki soon, he’s my favorite out of this bunch haha

1 Like

I’ll conceade on the opinion that the toa hagah and the Mangai should be metru based because I seem to be in the minority of such an opinion. Even tho the set forms of the toa hagah we got are their canon apperances.

However as stated previously I still believe and will stick to the opinion that too intricate or too custom 500+ piece toa mocs will deviat too much from the design astethic of G1 bionicle and will ruin the suspension of disbelief that they are characters in this universe. Despite this I’m not of the opinion to ban or remove custom entries but that custom stuff should either be recognisably bionicle in aesthetic or built in a way that their design language don’t contradict or conflict with already established designs in the bionicle universe.

Which brings me back to my original argument because if there is too much freedom we’ll end up with figures like Nikila who don’t look like a Bionicle at first glance and that I think destroys the general atmosphere of the world. Hence why the dh/rahi builds made by kids back in the day works better because they don’t stick out like an eyesore on a shelf in a bionicle collection.

Now I know many moccers want to show off their fantastic skills and overall proficiency in the art form rather than building standard set like figures which I can totally respect. Even so I think that holding back a bit on the over the top art masterpieces for this contest is reasonable as the rest of the universe in which these characters will inhabit isn’t masterpieces of art by any means.

This is just my opinion and I rather take this discussion now than half way through the contests. Anyone is free to disagree or comment further on this but as someone who wants to recreate several of the contest winners, I and many others will find over the top mocs to be a pain and no fun to build. That’s my final 2 cents on this however feel free to bash or dwarf my argument however you please. If you agree and have something to add that’s fine too

3 Likes