BIONICLE G1 Nostalgia Topic

Nah, not really.

That didn’t stop me, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I hated that game as a kid.

3 Likes

Some links, please? I’d love to be able to explore those for myself.

Here’s their page for LEGO.com: Wayback Machine

Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

tfw Bionicle was advertised in non-constraction sets

9 Likes

Yeah… tfw the rest of the Lego community actually accepted Bionicle as another Lego line just like them, rather than this “other” form of building…

5 Likes

tfw BIONICLE was never accepted by most system fans

5 Likes

Actually, if I remember correctly, most ‘mainstream’ system fans cast out constraction, in fact I think it might be more accepted now.

AFOLs hated Bonkle when it first came out IIRC

5 Likes

As far as I know, it’s still looked down upon. Of course, I can’t verify that, but I don’t believe much has changed despite how popular the theme was.

6 Likes

I remember when I first saw this image my puny mind was blown out of excitement. As much as I don’t care for 2009/10 I gotta admit this image had me hyped. It just felt so… mysterious. The feeling of there being something at work beyond your understanding is a crazy feeling.

And this was the page RIGHT AFTER the crazy plot twist and the last beautiful image of the mask of life floating through space. “I will return…”

Mata-Nui that was inspiring and chilling and freaky and AUGH 2008 was the perfect ending for G1

12 Likes

AUGH 2008 was the perfect ending for G1

Personally I think 2003 would have been the perfect ending for G1.

I can see that, as it wraps up the story very nicely, but I also loved the ignition trilogy and all those years of fleshing out the world. I like 2008 because it had a somber ending which felt like a mockery of all that the toa stood for, after all, the heroes can’t lose, can they? It also revealed the Great Spirit Robot which was a great twist and part of the inspiration of Bionicle, as well as left the story wide open for more great stories for fans to make. To me it was complex and made much more of a splash that 2003 did for me, though I do regret Takanuva, for all he was worked up to be was horrifically under utilized. A 2003 ending gives Takanuva so much more justice.

5 Likes

I feel like, as mush as it sounds jerkish, I would have enjoyed TERIDAX winning. Teridax’s victory would have been a much better plot twist, after all these years of fighting him he won. His plan was perfect and fulfilled.

1 Like

Yes. I can’t recall the hours I spent gazing at that teaser image.

2 Likes

that image still confuses me

why use Matoro Inika of all things?

I think it has a symbolic purpose more than anything, and one that’s only grown after seeing the end of the story. I’ll just paste an idea I had about Matoro that I wrote on BZP which I think might be relevant:

“Perhaps Matoro ‘lives’ in an even deeper realm, a spirit state beyond the spirit state where he drifts and watches the world and its inhabitants, perhaps playing recorder/chronicler like a Ko-matoran inscribing legends and philosophies in his mind. He can’t and never interacts with anyone or anything, but he’s always there in some way, living out every tragic moment with our heroes, but feeling every tender sweet one too. Who knows, maybe that realm he’s a part of is our realm, and Matoro is just another kid now, reading Bionicle books and comics and living every single one of those beautiful and powerful moments with the rest of us…”

So ultimately I don’t know if using Matoro instead of Mata-Nui was on purpose but I like to think it was as all those hours I spent just staring at this image in awe made me feel like there was a power I didn’t understand, like I was this figure (I didn’t realize it was Matoro at the time) facing this strange new world with these structures and sights that are larger than life. I feel like the picture may be accidentally symbolic in a really important way.

5 Likes

One thing to note from the 2009 Matoro pic, is the Vahki leg. It’s featured a lot, in almost every depiction of the scattered Prototype Robot. Something interesting for MOCers building the smaller robot, really. Either its forearms or shins should be Vahki legs.

1 Like

That could be a recall of his Inika Mask, he is wearing on the picture. I’d like to think that his Ultimate sacrafice put him in a higher existing rank, close to the one of the Great Beings.

I liked to think of him as part of Ignika after he used it. I just wish Mata Nui hadn’t decided to stay in the Ignika and suppress the deadly cinnamon roll’s mind.