BIONICLE is Officially Cancelled

I don’t really think gear-function really affect the sales for the younger audience, kids would just bash one figure to another because the gear is either not appealing or too slow.

1 Like

As an older fan, I appreciate the playablity, and I enjoy how well they incorporated form and function together. It reminds me of the Toa Metru, except the Toa Metru had slightly less posability and a slightly better look (in my opinion). However, playability doesn’t matter unless you actually buy the set. If it doesn’t look interesting or unique, you’ll never get to the playability. That’s why it was so important that they establish a solid aesthetic early on, and why it’s such a shame that they didn’t.

On another note, the Metru were probly the most coherent and well-designed Toa we ever got. I mean, they just look like proper heroes, their stance, silhouette, that amazing G1 eye shape (something they probly should’ve carried over to G2 in some way), and their proportions. The Metru are just… man they look good. The Uniters gave me the same feeling when I looked at them. They look like they belong together, but they don’t look so generic that they blend in with any other CCBS set. It’s a shame that we got them in the second year and not the first. Maybe I’m focusing too much on art and looks, but that’s super important when it comes to whether or not a kid is going to be interested in something they see on a shelf.

7 Likes

What about Hero Factory Scorpio. I think he was a good example on the Creature part of the Creature and Character Building system.

6 Likes

The Savage Planet creatures were great sets. If G2 had “Rahi” sets, I wouldn’t have minded if they were something like those.

2 Likes

A good set

the function is amazing.

4 Likes

I wish I was payed by LEGO, then I would have money for more Bonkles.

8 Likes

You know we need a Bionicle Autopsy on basically the end of Bionicle the community and where it stand and if Bionicle will ever come back again.
#######BringbackBionicleAutopsy

9 Likes

If someone wants to bring up a separate topic for discussion, I’d be interested in a Bionicle vs Transformers debate in how both companies managed their franchise in terms of sales, story, marketing, etc. now that G2 has gone and past.

Lego needs to release one final contest for BIONICLE where the winner gets the original 3-year story bible.

~W12~

11 Likes

If they even have one…

1 Like

I’m sure it’d be really underwhelming.

1 Like

If only that was the prize for the Makuta Contest. LEGOOOOOO!!!

1 Like

It’d be hard to tell given the state of constant flux it was in.

Consider this. When Bionicle was planned to come back, Ninjago was planned to be cancelled and be replace with Chima. So chances are that Bionicle was probably going to get a bigger budget and maybe a full length TV show.

But when Lego decided to continue Ninjago, the budget that might have gone to Bionicle G2 might have gone to Ninjago. Things like advertising, set budget, and even some set designers.

So Bionicle was pushed to as a side Lego theme and Ninjago was pushed to the forefront.

9 Likes

The G2 sets have not stopped these debates or given any sort of clear answer. Lego already released Bionicle sets before that had both posability and functions - its just the 2015 and 2016 Bionicle sets incorporated those functions slightly better - however even then it needed refining.

Though it remains Star Wars who perfected the use of the gearbox articulation including creating pieces specifically designed to be used in conjunction with the gearbox to provide coverage or prevent the appearance of balljoints - while Bionicle used it as a trial run. If anything that theme should get the credit for the gearbox usage, even if it may have been an aspect that was seemingly created for Bionicle.

The only function that Bionicle 2015/16 gave us that wasn’t used better in a different line was the waist articulation, and that is simply because it hasn’t been used elsewhere yet - though i have a feeling it could be utilised in the 2017 Star Wars CCBS sets.

Note;

• While it is impressive that Bionicle has come so far since its inception, it hasn’t solved the debates.
5 Likes

Not completely, yes the developer of Ninjago have more budget, but most of Bionicle spent more of their budget on karat gold mask over advertisement.
Also not to mention we have Nexo Knights this year that some people tend to forget about.

2 Likes

i feel that this is true, the star wars gear boxes where much better and came of as being much closer in design to the G1 Toa Mata torsos (in my opinion).

now that does not mean that the G2 gear box is bad, it can be used for larger figures, its just that the Star Wars ones would work for the Toa figures.

i think that if they had used the Star Wars gear boxes and alterd the waist articulation torso a little, the 2016 sets might have been much better.

4 Likes