Bionicle, Project GX by Ganto

I’d like to start by saying that I have no quarrels with TTV’s old project, “Brickonicle.” But it never really excited me. It never felt like the BIONICLE I grew up with. Here is what I would love to see with a BIONICLE reboot. I created these custom parts. I will be working with friends on making to-scale system sets of Mata-Nui. The beach is where BIONICLE belongs, and the Toa behemoths woke up on that beach. And I wouldn’t want my “Brickonicle” any other way. I currently only have basic figures and 1 playset completed, and I know for a fact I would not be able to submit this to LEGO ideas due to custom part issues.

The Matoran arms would be made of a soft plastic similar to that of the shoulder parts from the NEXO Knights robots (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=22392#T=C)

Toa Kopaka

Toa Pohatu

Toa Tahu

Toa Lewa

Toa Gali

Toa Onua

Playsets are now a thing! I am working on Rahi first, and once all 6 are done, I will work on full Koros, then the Mangia and probably the Kini Nui, too.

[details=Tarakava VS Kotu and Maku (The search for the Golden Kaukau)] To summon the Toa, the Matoran of Mata Nui must collect the 6 golden masks and return them to the Suvas before Makuta’s power becomes too much. Help Kotu and Macku discover the ancient mask so Gali will finally come to their aid. But the Tarakava lurks below, so watch out!

[/details]

[details=Muaka VS Kopeke and Ehrye (The search for the Golden Akaku)]
After countless years of surveillance, Kopeke finds Kopaka’s golden mask guarded by the terrifying Muaka! With Ehrye joining him, it’s time for an expedition! They must cross the drifts and battle the beast to summon the Toa of Ice!

[/details]

Hopefully, this interests the TTV community, and I can’t wait to hear your feedback.

[I used Stud.io, Custom part creator, and Blender.]

75 Likes

Okay, these are neat and all, but there is no way these could actually become sets. There are too many large, new mold pieces, that would very expensive to produce. While that is very similar to G1 Bionicle, G1 Bionicle was a bit of a unique case in terms of making new parts. As far as I understand, they we’re sort of given a blank check in terms of new parts, they we’re told to make whatever they needed to make new sets, which is why the amount of new pieces from year to year was huge, compared to any other theme, even HF or Bionicle G2, which had a slightly higher amount than most.

3 Likes

As I said, I have no intention of submitting this to LEGO ideas. Due to mold issues. Lego would never do this, but this is what I’d like. This is not a pitch, because it’s impossible.

6 Likes

I never thought anything of the sort. I just thought that this is what lego should do. Thanks for the clarification, I agree with you then, if there was Brickonicle, This is what I would like.

3 Likes

Would you plan on having disk throwing? Because, if not, why make the Matoran’s arms that way? It seems that two pieces with a joint would be more practical.

Yes, I plan on having a disk throwing, but it’s also just for more mobility in general.

2 Likes

Cool. I have to say, I’d be way more interested in this than minifig Bionicle as well. The only way I could see it happening, though, would be if it was seriously marketed at a demographic Lego doesn’t currently target (Lego Friends got a whole host of new molds to appeal to girls). Maybe, if it was geared toward young adults, it would get complex figures like this (it works for Mega Blocks/Construx).

2 Likes

I’m really fond of these for the aesthetic alone. I would love to see more buildable figures in LEGO, and if it isn’t constraction these kind of small figures are really fun and appealing!

Nice work!

4 Likes

Amazing work dude! Those would definitely be better for Brickonicle than normal minifigures!

1 Like

I love how they look! Also, nice implementation of the gear function in Tahu!

5 Likes

My opinion of these has shifted a little now that I can see how the Toa looks from the front, I didn’t expect the legs to be so ridiculously wide apart, the hips are practically the width of the shoulders. It just looks a bit… odd.

On the whole though, I still think these look cool, even if it’s mostly an exercise of wish fulfillment :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Looking more closely myself, I can agree. From other angles it looks good, but from the very front (which is the most important angle, of course) it doesn’t, which is certainly a problem.

2 Likes

This is so cool though! It nails that classic aesthetic and provides the extra posing options that make the figures so fun to play with! I’m seriously in love with what you’ve done and can’t wait to see what you do with it in the future!

I really dig these! As others have said the waist looks a bit weird, but I suppose there’s not much you can do about that, at the scale you’re working in. I look forward to seeing anything further you do with this!

1 Like

To be fair I feel that if the stomach portion was some how made wider it would help its looks

1 Like

I would be all over this if these were real.

3 Likes

I actually like most of the new molds on tahu, They look like useful mixel style parts and gearboxes for Technic work, if you can alter the orange shin and forearm parts to have those extensions be a more useful light saber rod sized connection spot and more clearly show the new molded parts involved this could work.

sadly the matoran limbs and the head and mask might be a hard sell for new molds, perhaps experiment with brick built heads and or masks? I mean they are already made of a lot of smaller parts so why not see about working some light piping into them to?

2 Likes

Looking at the way he designed them, the masks are made like visors for a minifig helmet, seeing as they’re attached to said minifig helmet. I don’t think the masks would necessarily be such a hard sell, at least not as much as the arms.

2 Likes

Really wish the hips weren’t as wide, but that would require a shorter pin and some reworking, but i appreciate how well you pulled off a mostly technic action figure of this scale while keeping fantastic articulation.
As well, is there a bar inside the midsection for support? it seems like 2 studs would give out easy, and if you want articulation over look, i’d suggest adding one of those small balljoints to the midsection.

3 Likes

The Toa Heroes of Project “Generation X”

Each Toa would come with one Matoran, a brickbuilt custom Suva, and a Toa.

*All models are placeholder and can change at any time.

Toa Kopaka

Toa Pohatu

Toa Tahu

Toa Lewa

Toa Gali

Toa Onua

Please let me know what you think. These do have custom parts, and this is still very much a work-in-progress, but this is what I have so far. Enjoy!

7 Likes