BIONICLE Year Discussion No.3: 2008

Krekka, Krika, Krahka. Way to keep it diverse, Lego.

8 Likes

Two words: Pohatu Phantoka.

4 Likes

Where’s @Kretta?

But yeah, 2008 - big year for me! The year I became a fan of Bonkles (yes, I’m that young)! Honestly, I while a fan of the stories, I too didn’t like the sets too much. The vehicles and Makuta were my favorites, and Lewa was the best Toa set IMO. Comics were really nice, too. Starting this year, I began scouring the internet for BIONICLE, filling my head to the brim with everything I had missed. Now… I am complete.

4 Likes

Overall, 2008 was decent for me

The Story: Perhaps my favorite part about this year, given the overall size and scale of it. It really has a climactic feel to it. I also love the secrets revealed this year, particularly the origins of the Toa Nuva, finding out that Makuta is actually a species, though biggest of all was the reveal of Mata Nui. The serials also proved for some nice filler, giving insight onto what other characters were doing at the moment.

The Characters: The Toa Nuva still retain the attributes which made them so likeable before, but they feel more developed now, particularly Lewa, who still jokes around but feels more responsible. The team as a whole feel a lot more united and don’t really argue as much as they used to. If there were any character I didn’t really enjoy were Mazeka and Vultraz, given that they really never added anything to the main story.

The Makuta were also well written and had some interesting personalities, especially Krika, who showed a more interesting side of a species we though were completely undignified.

The Sets: The sets released this year were a double edged sword IMO. The Phantoka manage to be somewhat accurate to previous incarnations, as lewa still felt limber, Kopaka looked just as sleek as before, and Pohatu’s Kanohi had a very speedy/aerodynamic look to it. The Makuta had some pretty cool designs (my favorite being Antroz because of how menacing he looks) and the titans were decent. The Matoran though were a little underwhelming IMO, given how their builds were less involved and there colors felt a lot more mute. Things weren’t much better with the Mistika, who really had no resemblance to the characters we knew at all (aside from the slits on Tahu’s mask and the pohawk on the top of Onua’s mask which I guess made him look like a tough guy), though the Makuta still managed to have cool and unique designs. Perhaps the greatest part of the summer wave though, were the vehicles and titans.

2 Likes

If there were anything to say about 2008, it would be that I loved the fact we got the Toa Nuva again after 5 years. I wasn’t a fan of the fact that the Toa sets were evolving without the Nuva getting revamped. I mean, in the lore, yeah, they’re still the strongest team out there, but compare the sets to that of the Metru or Mahri. Plus, they could all fly this time around, making them even stronger. Plus, techincally, we got 8 Toa and 8 Makuta this year, so having a huge-scale fight would be so much fun. Although Gali and Onua didn’t really match their persona very well, I still enjoyed their sets (Except for the fact Gali didn’t have a second weapon. Seriously, half the Toa don’t need to hold their blaster with 2 hands.) The story was also pretty good, as there were some major elements (Such as the Ignika making a body for itself and hearing Takanuva’s story of going through the alternate dimensions.) 2008 is definitely my 2nd favorite G1 year after 2007. Some of the sets coulda used some pick-me-up modifications, but overall they were enjoyable (although I still hate myself for not getting Takanuva or the Jetrax,)
Also, Vehicles > Playsets imo

1 Like

The Winter way was nice, the summer way with the Mistika Toa was God Awful. Hated the color scheme this year, silver and gray, ew. Story was interesting. Also the quality of the pieces was bad, like lime pieces brake after two uses bad.

Phantoka = A-
Mistika = D

1 Like

I first really discovered Bionicle in 2008, although I read some of the books before. I didn’t buy any sets, but I collected the comics. 2008 is the best because of Solek tea, though.

1 Like

2008 is probably the best payoff we got in Bionicle.

Ending the Ignition saga, we have the return of the Toa Nuva and The Introduction of the Makuta being more than just Teridax. The struggle for Karda Nui brought us revelations and surprizes on a colossal scale. Other than that, we have the sets.

• The Toa Nuva have new designs that make them fit in the darker theme, but sacrafice their vibrant color schemes. Some of the new designs aren’t that great either.
  • The Makuta try to brake from the norm with odd proportions and feral appearance.
  • Av-Matoran introduce specialized non-articulating pieces that detract from later years, but some try to make design decisions that use these pieces in unique ways.
  • Some of the best Titans:
  • Takanuva is in all respects the best supersized set having a consistent color-scheme, nice armoring and articulation, and solid weapons.
  • Toa Ignika brought us the New MoL in set form for the first time, and had a sweet skyboard. However, he is pretty basic.
  • Mutran & Vican showcases the new riding function that makes '08’s Av-Matoran worth buying and has the simplest Titan.
  • Icarax is a really solid titan. But uses a bland and overused color scheme.
  • The Vehicles Make this year.
  • Vultraz is small but managed to fit function.
  • Mazeka’s Swamp Strider is pretty unique and showcases pretty much the epitome of zamor launcer technology.
  • Rokoh is okay, but a very usable vehicle for the toa, and it comes with a Pohatu with normal arms!
  • Jetrax has two varients and a nice array of functionability, too bad that Jutlin looks atrocious.
  • Axalara, my personal favorite vehicle, who has awesome functions and an amazing design, comes with a slightly downgraded Lewa, but it is very solid set.
  • Klakk is pretty weird.
  • Good Guy, Function, and Bad Guy are the best sets Evar.

2008 was meh. I didn’t like the sets, except taka, Lewa, Ignika and axalara. Story was good. Also, if anyone wants to know why their lime joints broke so much, it’s because BZPower jinxed us:

4 Likes

If anything, 2008 joints were more prone to breakage.
At least by my experience.

Why would the Makuta Mistika need redesigning?

I’d say mainly Krika and Gorast

Krika has no elbows or knees, other than that he’s fine

Gorast on the other hand is kind of a mess

2 Likes

Yeah, less articulation than normal is a con, but other wise he is very good.

Actually, I would say she has:

• A bland and boring torso design with the obnoxious blue pins.

• Kind of small wings

I don’t think she is TOO bad, but is certainly my least favorite of the '08 Makuta.

Yeah, a lot of my grey joints have cracked clips. But Lime wasn’t as bad.

Best. Foot Construction. EVAAHHH!!!

Too bad the proportions on the arms are worse than Kongu Mahri.

'08 Bad Guy is the best of those Good Guy/Bad Guy sets.

not to mention a weirdly hollow back and just really awkward shape

And worst of all, she is supposed to fight Gali Mistika. Two bad sets for the price of …Two good sets. Just buy Krika and Bitil instead.

Or you could waste you life’s savings on any other kid’s toy.

Dang, Mistika are making me a buzzkill.

1 Like

The Story was epic, the sets were half good half bad, and we got Gravity Hurts recap video, that made me so happy as a Bionicle fan.

2 Likes