BIONICLE's frustrating state in pop culture

Yes, from ~2003 onwards. This was my point.

Every instance of constraction / buildable action figures has failed to maintain an audience. It’s a problem with the building system itself, not something that can be fixed by tweaking the side material like story.

1 Like

I agree with you that Bionicle needs to come back as a story, though I wouldn’t mind System sets. Of course, the problem with having System sets (or any kind of sets) means that Lego is in control, which won’t work for the reasons you outlined above.

I’d say the only hope we have right now for a G1 continuation, or any new Bionicle story at all, is whatever Faber is doing, but he hasn’t really released enough info to even say whether or not that is on the table.

Personally, I think that whatever he’s doing is at least thematically related to Bionicle, but I am hoping for a G1 continuation, as unlikely as that is.

3 Likes

Yeah, but more so than sets of figures, I’d like parts packs for MOCing, like a constraction version of what LEGO did with Classic. :+1:

2 Likes

Rerelease the lime joints with the CCBS socket design.

5 Likes

LEGO has tried re-releases of classic sets before under the “LEGO Legends” banner… from what I’ve heard, they didn’t sell well. And unlike classic System sets, a Bionicle set rerelease would require bringing a ton of old molds back. Lewa, for example, uses all of the following long-since discontinued parts:

• Weapon arm
  • Slizer limb
  • Mata hand
  • Mata limb
  • Mata foot
  • Mata torso
  • Mata head
  • Mata eyepiece
  • Miru
  • Lewa’s axe

That’s 10 pieces. The original molds for these parts are most likely destroyed or worn out to the point that they would need to be replaced… and even if they still had the original molds and they weren’t worn out, they’d have to replace them with new ones to make the ball joints match the new CCBS standard. And all of these parts are very specific to the original Bionicle aesthetic. They wouldn’t be usable in standard System sets, so LEGO would be bringing them back solely for use in a few commemorative sets that may not even sell that well.

As cool as it would be, it’s not going to happen. It’s up to the fans to give Bionicle the 20 year celebration it deserves.

2 Likes

I think someone proposed the idea of Brickheads…though I have no idea how well those would turn out.

3 Likes

I could see something like that as an homage.

As a fully developed LEGO theme, though? No way.

3 Likes

Without a giant fanbase and dedicated wikipedia in finnish language I would not have learned the lore or the story during inika and mahri years. only info back then was from commercials.

2 Likes

Were there no comics in Finland? I am asking because in Germany the books and serials were not translated (with a few exceptions) but the comics were.

Oh, Yes! comics were translated. But they ended after metru nui arc. ;(.

Only one book was translated in Finnish.

Mother said I learned to read by deciphering the hidden bionicle language :wink:

I thought Germany would have been a great market for a product made in Denmark. Not to mention (at least in Finland) there’s a stereotype about Germans that they dub and translate everything from movies to sitcoms. we have subtiles on everything. Such a shame english speaking world was prioritized when doing publications.

5 Likes

Well, we had the movies, two novels (Legends #6 & #7) and Makuta’s guide to the universe + some magazines with trivia and excerpts from some stories and comics. I didn’t have much of these magazines, but I know there was a series of comic magazines during the ignition trilogy which were criticized for having an awful lot of typos and translation errors, as well as having cheap toys as extras that were in no way related to Bionicle. All in all I think it’s a bit more than in the finnish language, although still not great. Additionally we had a very engaged fan community that has translated all serials by now.

But hey, at least english is a language that is relatively easy to learn…

2 Likes

Thank God for the fans. Our wikipedia team translated all the online serials. like Powers that be and Reign of terror to finnish.

easy to learn…

yeah… easy to learn…

3 Likes

Yeah, it took a couple of years to read through every english book (I think I started 2015 and finished around 2019). I had many breaks between reading session, but it went uphill after “Legacy of evil”. Still it was a struggle.

1 Like

As a native English speaker…

No.

8 Likes

Geruuuunnndds!

GERUUUNNNNNDDDSS!

1 Like

As another native English speaker, (and one who did well in English class, I might add) I second that.

5 Likes

So… Could you name an language that you think would be easier for foreigners to learn to a degree where they understand the text they are reading? I am interested.

Well, as an English speaker, I’ve been told that basically every language by comparison is easier to learn, but in particular, I’ve had Spanish recommended; a recent article I’ve found says it’s the 4th most spoken language in the world (after Mandarin and Hindi), and from what I’ve learned of it, it’s far more consistent than English, although it has a somewhat different sentence structure.
Also, being (like English) descended from Latin, one can find some interesting similarities between the two.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. It is always interesting to see how native speakers think about their language and that of other people. I appreciate it. I should have considered spanish, but I honestly don’t really know much about the language aside from being another language in Europe with Latin origins.

Back to topic: I really wished there had been more international releases for Bionicle content. It would have helped making the franchise more popular. Also isn’t it weird that a Danish company selled books somewhat exclusively in the US/Canada for a product that is sold in a much broader range?

3 Likes

My pleasure. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Yeah, that does seem kind of weird.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe they saw North America as a kind of experimental test market that they could test the popularity of unorthodox endeavors on without failure showing up locally if they weren’t successful.

2 Likes