book recomendations

i need book recommendations for sci-fi fantasy and maby some steampunk

This doesnt really fit into neither, buuuuuttt…

The Fury by alexander gordon smith. its one of the best things ive ever read, personally. then again im a bit biased because he wrote my favoreite book series of all time

I recently just finished reading Roadside Picnic. Brilliant book, though it’s more like Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi.

It may not be what you’re looking for, but I highly suggest checking it out.

I will throw it out there that there is a fair amount of language for those who may be put off by that stuff, so be aware.

1 Like

If you don’t mind books as large as dictionaries, I think Horus Heresy and Warhammer 40K may fit the bill. Might be biased since I love WH40K, but it’s worth checking out.

3 Likes

Many of the star wars books are very good. I would recommend thrawn

3 Likes

Definitely - Zahn raised the bar for star wars with the Thrawn Trilogy.

Also, for fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles.

1 Like

Anything from Walter Moers, the best thing to start with being The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear.

For fantasy I could recommend His Majesty’s Dragon. I’m not much of a reader, but that book got me absorbed.

Sci-fi
War Dogs by Greg Bear. It’s a wonderfully suspenseful and action packed story. It is part of a trilogy that includes Killing Titan and Take Back the Skies.

I’ll throw some into the ring, along with why I like them, so you can get an idea if they’re for you…

Fantasy (I prefer epic fantasy, so if you don’t like large, multi-volume series, then these might not be your type):

-The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien–you may have already read them, but if not, they’re pretty much necessary reading for the fantasy genre.

-A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) by George R.R. Martin–definitely NOT for kids, so maybe wait on this one, but the world building and characters are top-notch.

-The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson–another really well-constructed world with unique flora, fauna, and a really cool system of magic. Plus, all of his different series take place in the same universe, so if you like the style of storytelling done by companies like Marvel and Disney, this is a great choice.

-The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (last three books finished by Brandon Sanderson): The mythology behind this series is great, and its tone is very reminiscent of LOTR, but there are a LOT of books, and they’re all pretty large, so it may take years to get through…even Robert Jordan didn’t make it to the end, unfortunately.

Sci-fi:

-Anything Star Wars, especially books from the newer canon

-Ender’s Game–definitely a great novel, and the premise is simple, though the outcome is unexpected. It has some troubling parts, but it’s generally viewed as YA science fiction.

-Isaac Asimov also wrote a lot of great sci-fi, mostly in short story form, so if you like quick, one-off tales that get you thinking, I’d recommend him.

As you can see, I prefer fantasy in general, but there’s really nowhere bad you can go in either genre, so above all, just go with what catches your eye!

cool thanks guys i will cheak out as meany of these as i can find

If you haven’t read it, there’s the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I always enjoyed it. The book had a mix of sci-fi and humor to it.

For Fantasy, I’d suggest the Witcher novels, starting with The Last Wish. It is a more adult-novel however.

Since this is a general topic as far as I know, I’m looking for some good fantasy reads. Nothing too long, and should be generally light in tone. I’ve read The Hobbit and some Lord of the Rings.

1 Like

ok does any one have any recomendations for sci fi books with mechs

Maybe try the dune prequals, I forget if they have mechs, but it’s a good read

1 Like

If you like high fantasy, definitely go for The Malazan Book of the Fallen it’s 10 books, that are kind of long (Averaging about 1000 pages per book) but it’s great

Check out A Song of Ice and Fire - it lacks the pure quality which oozes from Tolkien’s work, but has scale and characterisation in droves, which will keep you reading and hungry for more.

If that merely wets your Pallette, the Wheel of Time series is also a good place to turn.

1 Like

i really liked this book series anything similar?