Breaking CCBS Pieces

@AwesomeJoel27
Most of my early G1 sets are still in great shape. It’s a matter of just being careful.

By the way, one can avoid breaking skull spider legs if one grasps right at the clip portion of the leg and gently pulls straight out.

After one too many falls from the top of my shelf, my Skull Spider’s front legs no longer clip on securely. RIP

At least the remaining two legs can be used to Scorpify two other spiders

Yes, indeed I have experienced such thing on my Skull Spider as well. I can even see the crack on that leg piece. Oh the humanity.

1 Like

I’ve broken many shells before…

How do you people break this stuff? The worst I’ve done was bend a shell tgat I stepped on, slightly. Then again, I don’t use CCBS as much as some because I rely heavily on custom builds…

I wonder if Mixel joints can break…

It’d take a ton of stress.

We MOC too much.

I have a socket that’s cracked and lost almost all friction.

3 Likes

I broke both of my vahki staff for rorzakh one a week after recieving it in 2004 and the second one this spring when my rorzakh fell from my shelf. Yeah really need to replace that one soon bricklink here i come!

1 Like

um, sir, this is about breaking CCBS pieces specifically, not about breaking parts in general.

I haven’t broken a skull spider leg yet. I just lost them though.

1 Like

Skull spider legs are the quickest to brake because of how they are clicked on the masks and because the plastic itself is not that ridgit in the shape its molded.

1 Like

First off, I have no idea what category this would go in, so if a moderator would please be kind enough to place it in the right one.

Second off, this may come across as a rant, I assure you it is not.It is a simple warning about a Lego part.

Third off, please tell me if you have experienced the same problem.

Everyone remembers how bad the '08 parts were for snapping. Well guess what.

You can’t really see it very well with my laptop camera, but the friction extender on my Lewa, Uniter of Jungle figure, has almost snapped completely (just a little more ways to go). I didn’t feel like looking over every Bionicle set I have with friction extenders, so I can’t tell you how common this problem is. I did, however, go grab the nearest Lego set I had that uses 2008 parts. As it turns out, my Lewa Phantoka figure is is better condition than I thought. I did manage to find a figure with the same type of crack in it, however.

The hand, on Breeze 1.0, got that crack due to extended use. I must emphasize, however, that Lewa’s friction extender part had only been removed from the figure maybe three times before I discovered the crack. Lewa has spent most of his time standing up on a shelf.

All in all, I just have this one thing to tell all of my fellow moc makers:
###Be careful when you use these parts, they are not as durable as other CCBS pieces. (in my opinion)

Everything below this is a personal opinion

I think the reason for this crack may be the fact that the new-ish friction extender part does not connect all the way to a ball joint. There is a little gap between the bottom of the socket and the ball joint. I believe this puts extra strain on the plastic.

###Edit with more pics.

5 Likes

Although it has never happened to me before, I think it could be because the rubber part (you can see it inside the socket) sticks out a bit, creating the gap you mentioned, and adding stress to the piece. I suggest using the piece as much as you can in order to wear off the rubber, just like I generally do.
If you can post a picture of the inside of the piece maybe we could verify if that’s the reason. If it isn’t, then it might be caused by temperature, but I don’t know.

8 Likes

This problem has happened to many of my pieces but no friction extenders have been taken yet.

2 Likes

These pieces are from 2013. They aren’t new at all.

1 Like

Hence why I said new-ish. My first encounter with them was in 2016.
Also:

Done

The room where I store my Bionicle sets hovers around 66-72 degrees Fahrenheit year round, so I doubt temperature is a problem. It doesn’t seem like the rubber is sticking up that far. Maybe friction extenders just have Agori-Joint-Syndrome

3 Likes

Personally, I’ve yet to have issues with any of the CCBS sockets snapping, though there have been a few instances where I’ve seen others have some trouble with them.
Perhaps you somehow recieved a defective version of the part with your set by accident?

2 Likes

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know the official part name for this piece, I know the code is 74261, but what is the name of the part.

Like for instance, you can’t search for Lego 2780 on websites that aren’t Bricklink, you have to look for Lego Black Friction Pin

On Brickset it’s listed as “Ball Cup High Friction W. Rubber”.
If you don’t know a piece name I suggest looking at inventories of sets that you know include that part you’re looking for, that’s what I usually do.

If you have these problems with recent sets you should totally contact Lego’s awesome customer service, they will send you a new piece for free.

3 Likes