Brickonicle discussion with a Lego Designer.

Today at Toronto Comic-Con I was fortunate enough to meet Greg Hyland, an actual Minifigure artist for the Lego Group for the past 15 years. With all the Brickonicle concept art in mind I asked him a few questions about official Lego rules he has to adhere to. That way we can keep these in mind when trying to make realistic Brickonicle concept art.

1. Maximum of five inc colors per figure. (Each additional colour costs approximately 10 cents extra.

2. Every set and figures must survive the “Oven Test”, a test in which they are placed in an oven heated to 110 degrees. If they survive without cracking, they keep their designs.

3. There is a minimum thickness for the lines on a design, however he could not remember the exact number.

After all this I asked him about specialized minifigures, such as the droids from Star Wars or the old Bionicle playsets. He said often there is no way around using specialized pieces however when I asked about Bionicle specifically he said that :

“It [standard system Bionicle] could definitely work. It could look good, but maybe not sell too well”. He even said he personally liked the idea of a system based G3 Bionicle.

Finally, he drew up a sketch as to how he would design a standard Lego Minifigure based off of Tahu from 2001, which I will include below. I hope you have all found this useful, I only wish I could have gotten some more exact answers from him.

-Eban.

138 Likes

That’s pretty legit, dude.

13 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking of framing it.

13 Likes

Holy cow that is awesome.

Planting the seeds for official G3 System Bionicle. :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

So it begins…

9 Likes

that is amazing
I enjoy how he included the mata hand in as well

and would be interesting to see if G3 will come off the metaphorical paper and into reality

6 Likes

Cool! It’s really nice to see that a Lego Designer enjoys the concept of Brickonicle, and the drawing of Tahu just makes this even better.

6 Likes

Full props to you, man. This is awesome, and incredibly helpful!

4 Likes

Wow, that’s kinda cool. Now we just hope that the idea works its way up the chain of command…

3 Likes

Pretty nifty.

2 Likes

I don’t really see the practicality of this “oven test”…

2 Likes

The explanation I was given is this is likely the maximum heat a Lego set would be exposed to if left next to a window on a hot summer day. (Though the exact temperatures may vary depending on the region. I’m really not sure.) This way, they’re testing to make sure the set won’t break just for being left in the wrong place in the house. Minifigures must also go through this process, as molds with stretches of plastic too thin will crack in this heat. Hope you found this helpful.

-Eban.

11 Likes

ahh…that makes a bit more sense. Goes to show how much lego cares about product quality - covering all their bases in terms of the worse case scenerios a minifig could go through

6 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

You should lol

2 Likes

Thats some cool art, by a designer too. I’m interested by these requirements though, the heat test and colours seem no issue, this is Bionicle, colour schemes are pretty good at staying under 5 different colours for one character or type of characters. The line thing could be limiting but looking at minifigures now, it seems more like try different designs and see what works.

That art is seriously cool, its great you took the time to do this.

3 Likes

That is awesome, and the sketch looks amazing.

6 Likes

Gotta say, that guy did some solid work.

7 Likes

He certainly did. It’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Slow, loud, echoing chants

SALES PITCH SALES PITCH SALES PITCH…!!!

7 Likes