Brickonicle discussion with a Lego Designer.

while it seems really unlikely, there is still that tiny chanse that LEGO will be interested in the Brickonicle idea.

i mean its still a 100 against 1 chanse that it will happend but there is still that possibility.

and his Tahu design is pritty good (though i prefer the stuff that have been made in TTV’s brickonicle project).

2 Likes

I actually do too, particularly the work done by Ragdoll. However it’s important to keepin mind that he was specifically making 2001 Tahu, whereas all the new Artwork being done can be a reimagining of the character. Although that certainly doesn’t detract from the overall quality of either.

1 Like

Dude this is awesome, I hope I one day get a chance to do something like this. But who wants to bet the Oven Test came from the lime joints issue?

7 Likes

Pretty cool.

1 Like

I find it very unlikely that he could make that in such a short time without having some rough ideas before.

#ILLUMINARTY CONFIRMED

5 Likes

He’s also one of the most famous minifgure artists in the world so he has more practice than almost anyone.

I’m not saying you are wrong but it’s entirely plausible for that to be spur of the moment.

*illumakuta

6 Likes

*illumakooti

It’s definitely spur of the moment. I’m a casual artist, a doodler at the least, and I’m pretty sure I could whip up something out of the blue upon request. A professional artist would have no problem doing so.

8 Likes

*illumakooti the bionic man

7 Likes

Alright, that’s seriously awesome.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, you got to talk to a minifigure artist. I have to say, this information is pretty interesting.

I got this lurking feeling that Bionicle is cursed at this point though…

2 Likes

Did he say anything about he complexity of a design? I ask because Var’s Tahu featured on this week’s podcast seemed a little all over the place.

1 Like

I did ask him how complex a minifigure’s design could be, however he really couldn’t come up with a definite answer since “complex” isn’t really a good measurement to work off of. What he told me was the best way to determine whether or not a design is realistic is to compare it with recent minifigures that came out in the previous couple of Lego waves. But even that method is mainly still just speculation.

-Eban.

1 Like

Don’t forget that minifigs like these exist:

7 Likes

Upon closer inspection, while the issue of complexity may not have a definite answer regarding Var’s Tahu design, the number of different ink colours used is 7. But if you refer back to my initial post, Greg Hyland said that 5 ink colours is the most allowed on one figure. So @Jakfan1 you are partially right in the sense that Var’s design would not work as an official Lego minifigure, however the reasoning is not one of complexity but quantity of ink colours.

Edit: It was pointed out to me that the 7 colours I counted were from the entire figure, not each individual part. No individual piece exceeds an ink count of 5 colours, meaning there is no reason I can see why Var’s Tahu design would not work.
-Eban.

2 Likes

One could argue for reduction in that regard.

Like combining similar shades of color.

1 Like

Like #111, my life has meaning now

Also incredibly cool! I hope LEGO reconsiders what they’ve done in the past and give Bionicle one more chance.

1 Like

https://lc-www-live-s.legocdn.com/r/www/r/catalogs/-/media/catalogs/articles/batmanmovie/test/minifigs/71017_leaflet_commissioner_gordon.jpg?l.r2=-1526602260

Gordon has six colors on his minifigure torso. The orange skin color, the brown of the holster, the red of the tie, the yellow clip on the tie, then the black, and the darker grey.

Jestro has six colors on his minifigure torso. Black, grey, white on the skulls, purple stripes and dark red and light red on the underclothes.

Var’s Tahu only has four. We paid a lot of attention to Ninjago and Nexo Knights figures while making it.

6 Likes

I’m not saying this is false, but did anyone ever take into consideration that the body plastic itself is a color?

Does the colors of the pieces themselves count? Or is it just literally the printed colors?

3 Likes

@JonBlueFire You are correct. It’s the torso mold colour plus five ink colours, so neither Jestro nor Gordon break this rule. However I will concede that I miscounted the colours in Var’s design as I thought I saw white in the symbol instead of blue and also made the mistake of counting the mold colour as an ink colour, so that’s two faults by me. So while both of @Jon’s examples adhere to Gred Hyland’s rule of five, Var’s Tahu does as well and thus would likely work as a legitimate Lego minifigure.

-Eban.

2 Likes

I did.

They still have six. Gordon has a light grey color mold that’s lighter than the dark grey that’s on his uniform to the left side of his jacket, and the black on the right.

Jestro has a red color mold that’s different from the two darker shades of red in his “underclothes”.

Tahu, however is still at four.