To be honest, I didn't expect this kind of backlash.
It's not "for no good reason". Is not the point of this discussion to generate ideas? I'm generating ideas. I understand it's a radical one, one I personally don't like either, but there's no reason to say that it's pointless. At best it offers a new direction, at worst it's an example of what people don't want and where to avoid taking things.
If you want to say it's pointless, it's all really pointless. Everything we're debating is hypothetical and will probably have little concrete product aside from art and MOCs. It's a fan discussion.
I personally enjoy the idea of a separate Kopaka/Pohatu, whatever form that takes. At the time I wrote my first post, the Kopaka/Pohatu separated duo concept was still confined to the one YouTube comment, so I didn't think it relevant.
I also personally just don't see the Tahu/Gali dynamic having the same effectiveness as the Tahu/Kopaka relationship, at least not in the same form. The intensity of the Tahu/Kopaka dynamic came from their hostility toward each other and their competition on wanting to be the leader. I don't see Gali's character the way she's traditionally been having that same disposition.
If you made Gali the same, it would be a foil, but the relationship would be less of a power struggle and more of a unrestrained/restrainer thing, which is admittedly interesting, but not the same dynamic that I feel adds to Tahu's character.
But I will admit I really like the idea of an uncontrollable, almost cruel Tahu that has to be reined in and taught what is right by Gali, perhaps even if it must come to blows.
"Sister....against me, you'd be nothing but steam!"
Also, stray thoughts:
- A Toa of Nature shouldn't be a name. Nature implies everything, including other elements, so a Toa of Nature as a name is too broad.
- I am a proponent of the idea that Water and Ice are two distinct elements. I don't think real life science should apply to a fantasy world. I would love to see a Toa of Frost, at the least, who controls cold and can make water into ice.
- I think the desert region is a good thing to keep, even if Stone is no longer an element.
- The Air village should be in the sky, think Skyloft from TLOZ: Skyward Sword
- None of the main Toa should be from the other elements like Lightning or Gravity or whatever. Meso made a point that these powers have to be regions too, and it's really hard to make interesting locations based off something as abstract as Psyonics or the like. There can be beings with those powers, just not from the main regions.
- Var mentioned he didn't want to physically upgrade the Toa. I want to make a case against this for the simple reason that you'd run out of interesting hero minifigs to come with sets. There'd have to be a new hero, a new character, in every set eventually. Also, if you don't have a certain Toa and want them all, you'd have to buy their original appearance set, and only that set as opposed to maybe a better version later or one in a cheaper set.