Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

So about the whole Light and Shadow thing and how that works.

Very personal suggestion here, but I’ve been leaning towards the idea of Mata Nui and Makuta embodying Life and Death, and having masks respective to that. Mata Nui controls creation for the birth of new life, Makuta controls destruction to regulate resources and maintain the cycle of life. That way there’d be an actual balanced dichotomy and “brotherhood” between them.

That would leave Light and Shadow both open to Toa-tier characters. From there, I’d prefer that the powers be retained in their respective masks, making it so only one kind of either being can exist at once. Takanuva would be suitable for the Toa of Light, and the a Toa of Shadow would be a potential means of introducing a G3 Umarak.

Just some stuff I’ve been musing over.

I have too much free time.

4 Likes

@Matanui606: Fair point. Still doesn’t change the fact that increasing or decreasing the number of sets wouldn’t have that much of an impact, though.
Which was partially because they were still trying to appeal to an older fanbase instead of focusing primarily on their actual target demographic. Had some more of that effort gone into the story instead, G2 might’ve lasted a bit longer.
Established characters that newer fans would still know relatively nothing about until they actually got into the story… which probably didn’t stop them from buying them, either. The Mata weren’t everybody’s first Toa, after all.
@Payinku: As a purely constraction-oriented fan (which I’ve stated previously) and someone who doesn’t follow Ninjago at all, I do not consider myself qualified enough to comment on thw core aspects of that particular line.
I will say, however, that different types of reboots do exist, and since you’ve already stated that none of the characters or elements (or presumably much of the overall story) have experienced any major changes, this leads me to believe (as opposed to shows like Digimon, for example, which frequently changes out the main cast every few seasons) it’s on the softer end of the spectrum.
@Altair and @JMP: Actually, I wanted to change the entirety of the core six to those of the Bohrok Kal (though Vacuum was replaced with Jungle) to propose a new story, with a Metru Nui-like setting in which the previous Toa team effectively became the villains. The regions themselves and the people inhabiting them can still more or less reflect their original corrupted guardians, it would sell the Unity aspect a bit more from the get go by forcing them to rely on a hero that doesn’t share their element in the slightest, and would provide additional conflict and character depth, especially if they had to be taught or retaught how to use their powers.
Between that, having them win over the understandably mistrustful villagers, dealing with other various threats across the island (including the villans’ new army, possibly something more akin to the Vahki), and eventually overcoming the big bads, I’d say that’s more than enough to draw people in.

1 Like

And that is were you are completely wrong. Have you not listened to the podcast episodes associated with the G3 discussion? The story has been changed quite a bit.

And this is the problem. First, TTV has already stated that they want to stick with the tribal island aesthetic. Secondly, this idea for the elements is so far from what TTV is even considering based on the podcast. The most extreme of the idea’s that they have considered is Var saying he would combine earth and stone and water and ice, and make it a team of four, and even he says that if it’s not going to be a team of four, then he would change nothing.

Maybe because having ten topics with one idea per topic, in the first post of said topic, makes more sense than having those ten ideas hidden throughout the 680+ posts here?
Maybe so that, like you said, we can discuss certain ideas and which ones we like and don’t like?
Or maybe because TTV asked for topics discussing the elements, and that’s what this category is for anyway?
Quite a few good reasons, actually.

1 Like

They asked for us to come to this topic to give feedback on their ideas, and the rules for this category very clearly state that it’s for discussing TTV’s plan, not pitching your own.

I’ve already stated that this topic is insane, but that’s because there is way to much freedom in here. What should have happened is this:

That way we’d be progressing to a collective idea for G3 rather than everyone spinning off into their own personal fanfics.

wasen’t plant life also added into that? so that Onua could control not just the earth, the rocks, the minerals but also the plant life that grew on it too?

Yeah that was also part of it, I thought I’d put it, but apparently I did not.

1 Like

And we are. We’re discussing possible elements for TTV’s G3, which the cast specifically asked for, and which is exactly what this category is for.

Upon listening to the podcast again, they weren’t clear on what exacyly they wanted, but since they reopened the separate topics, I’m pretty sure they want the different ideas.

I won’t claim to know why they chose to do it that way, but I can posit why it makes sense.

It depends on when the example theme will come out if it comes pre 2020 i think that the elements should be changed but it released post 2020 they should keep to original elements due to 20 year anniversary also off topic I kinda thought the Toa elemental powers as Pokémon types
Tahu= Fire type
Kopaka= Ice type
Gali= Water type
Lewa= Flying(G1)Grass(G2) Type
Pohatu=Rock Type
Onua= Ground Type

Why should they be changed if it was realeased bwfore 2020? That makes no sense.

I think that Pohatu would be pretty cool as a Toa of Lightning/Electricity. But with the new element of Earth maybe Stone could work under the name of “Rock”. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Stone sounds better.

1 Like

Ahhh, who who are the 9% of people who didn’t chose fire as an element in the last question? Lego needs a bright red character! Lego is a toy after all, but hey they’re entitled to their own opinion.

This^

5 Likes

Also fire is one of the most easily recognized things for humans, being with us from ancient times and every civilization is dependent on it. Also Red is a bright in your face color that is easy to notice, and kids notice something easy when its red (like the LEGO logo eeeh).

3 Likes

Yeah man, this internet poll, it’s so hard to get opinions down amirite.

To be honest, I didn’t expect this kind of backlash.

It’s not “for no good reason”. Is not the point of this discussion to generate ideas? I’m generating ideas. I understand it’s a radical one, one I personally don’t like either, but there’s no reason to say that it’s pointless. At best it offers a new direction, at worst it’s an example of what people don’t want and where to avoid taking things.

If you want to say it’s pointless, it’s all really pointless. Everything we’re debating is hypothetical and will probably have little concrete product aside from art and MOCs. It’s a fan discussion.

I personally enjoy the idea of a separate Kopaka/Pohatu, whatever form that takes. At the time I wrote my first post, the Kopaka/Pohatu separated duo concept was still confined to the one YouTube comment, so I didn’t think it relevant.

I also personally just don’t see the Tahu/Gali dynamic having the same effectiveness as the Tahu/Kopaka relationship, at least not in the same form. The intensity of the Tahu/Kopaka dynamic came from their hostility toward each other and their competition on wanting to be the leader. I don’t see Gali’s character the way she’s traditionally been having that same disposition.

If you made Gali the same, it would be a foil, but the relationship would be less of a power struggle and more of a unrestrained/restrainer thing, which is admittedly interesting, but not the same dynamic that I feel adds to Tahu’s character.

But I will admit I really like the idea of an uncontrollable, almost cruel Tahu that has to be reined in and taught what is right by Gali, perhaps even if it must come to blows.

“Sister…against me, you’d be nothing but steam!”

Also, stray thoughts:

• A Toa of Nature shouldn’t be a name. Nature implies everything, including other elements, so a Toa of Nature as a name is too broad.
  • I am a proponent of the idea that Water and Ice are two distinct elements. I don’t think real life science should apply to a fantasy world. I would love to see a Toa of Frost, at the least, who controls cold and can make water into ice.
  • I think the desert region is a good thing to keep, even if Stone is no longer an element.
  • The Air village should be in the sky, think Skyloft from TLOZ: Skyward Sword
  • None of the main Toa should be from the other elements like Lightning or Gravity or whatever. Meso made a point that these powers have to be regions too, and it’s really hard to make interesting locations based off something as abstract as Psyonics or the like. There can be beings with those powers, just not from the main regions.
  • Var mentioned he didn’t want to physically upgrade the Toa. I want to make a case against this for the simple reason that you’d run out of interesting hero minifigs to come with sets. There’d have to be a new hero, a new character, in every set eventually. Also, if you don’t have a certain Toa and want them all, you’d have to buy their original appearance set, and only that set as opposed to maybe a better version later or one in a cheaper set.
2 Likes

I really wanna say something NSFW here but I can’t and I’m sad

1 Like

I know right?

Which radical idea was yours again? It’s been like two days and there have been SO many.

1 Like

Oh come now. Don’t be like that.