Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Because only 33 people stick around to debate? Even less now. There are like five active people in this topic, thinkinh that we can acutely represent or measure the majority is preposterous. If you want to go by the original poll than lightning, stone, jungle, and gravity are all more popular than iron as a choice for a sixth element. And nothing below ice in the polls has over 50% of voters. So how do you suggest we try to reach conclusions? We know that arguing will get us nowhere, we went on for three days with no end in sight. Now we’ve started again, and who knows how long this will go on if we don’t decide on some way of reaching a consensus?

1 Like

I meant nothing about Iron in that statement; but going back to the OP, Stone is not in the 6 most popular elements for the main roster. What’s below it isn’t important; just what’s above it. The people who stick around to debate aren’t the important detail here, just how many people answered that they wanted Stone in the main cast; and right now, Lightning is beating it by 2%.

I’m aware that stone is no longer among the most popular six elements, lightning pulled ahead a couple days ago. So are you going to start arguing about lightning now? Or are you going to continue with the iron plan even though it has even less support than stone?

JSYK: Current TTV opinions going into the podcast on Saturday

We’ve read a ton of the essays you guys have put forth, some in this topic and the other topics.

1. All of the substitute elements are either overpowered or too much of a subset. Out of all of them, Lightning is the only one we’ve seriously considered.
  2. Some people don’t like ice, some people don’t like stone. I’m in the group that very, very strongly hates stone. It’s derivative and I’m hoping it will be replaced, but ice is also on the chopping block.
  3. Var’s concept for Earth is all but canon at this point, we all seem to like it and will continue discussion assuming that is canon.

Feel free to continue discussion for the remainder of the week, however, discussion past when we officially sit down and decide the elements (this podcast or the next) about what you rather we would have chosen will unfortunately be ruled as non-canon discussion.

1 Like

I remember there being disagreement about this on the last podcast, can you tell us where others stand on this topic?

1 Like

So, it’s not too late to add ideas/concepts/thoughts yet, right?

'Cause I thought up some pretty cool ideas, today…

Nope, you can still suggest stuff. A lot of stuff has changed because of fan input, so try your luck.

Can’t remember off the top of my head.

Side note: good fan art is the quickest way to sway us to your ideas. We’re video creators, so we’re really visual people. Once we see something, we’re more likely to get on board with it.

3 Likes

The “iron plan” was about what I considered the best substitute. The polls have not swayed my opinion, and I never had any real “plan” to start with because this isn’t my project, this is TTV’s. I was just putting forth my thoughts on the matter.

This is probably a good time to ask why you would go with this solution instead of just axing Stone. Plants are a totally different power set from Earth, and are no more a part of the ground than part of the air or water.

Well, given this:

And this:

And this:

All culminating in this:

Ice is probably gonna go to lightning, so maybe we should talk about that…

mfw

From the perspective of practicality, this move makes no sense. Ice and water are the same molecular substance, but they are not at all the same in their use.

4 Likes

In essence, Earth in Bionicle has been just defined as “dirt”, Var’s concept extended that definition to be the manifestation of the actual Earth. That is, nature and vegetation, parts of what you would consider to be the planet.

We’re just using this alternate defintion to define Onua’s powerset.

How will this new definition affect the setting of Onu-Koro or it’s equivalent?

1 Like

But that decision still doesn’t really line up. Plants aren’t part of the ground. The only plant matter contained in dirt is merely the decaying material in soil. I’m not sure how many people would consider plants “part of the planet” any more than the ocean or atmosphere. It just seems simpler to give Onua the Stone powerset along with Earth, and relegate Pohatu to, based on the polls, Lightning.

And if the move were simply to make Onua a Toa of Plantlife instead of Earth, I’d accept that. Pohatu could get all ground/rock powers then instead of Onua. My issue lies in combining two powersets that don’t really have that much to do with each other. Earth entails earthquakes, eruptions of the ground, and as most people would say when not talking about Bionicle, throwing rocks. Plantlife entails creating living plants to strangle, block off, or emerge from under targets. Merging Earth and Plantlife is like merging Plantlife with Water or Air.

5 Likes

I’d like to see farms, as I think @Eljay mentioned, possibly more for medcine/healing rather than food (depending on if Matoran can actually eat in this G3).

On a completely unrelated note (to this post), I’ve update My Element Ideas Topic, further fleshing out the elements and powers I’d like to see in the Toa Mata.

So read it… or don’t.

What I’m more curious about is whether or not it’s still underground or in a cave, I think that was central to it’s moteif of being so close to the earth that you are actually surrounded by it. I’m not sure how the ch as need would affect that or how I would feel about those effects.

I noticed this and am mulling it over before I respond. Also doing my job so I don’t get fired.

1 Like

To add to this, plants need light to live. Underground, that’s not really easy to get. Unless there are big holes in the ceiling through which other villagers may enter or exit, and that’s where plants grow, the only way for the plant motif to be worked into the setting is if the roots of Le-Koro’s forest (or any forest, I was just thinking we should go with the one we already have) reach down into Onu-Koro.

1 Like

Well, not all plants, but yeah.

Could be interesting…

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

4 Likes

Personally, I’d like to see them set on black colored Mountains, so the sunlight could still adequately photosynthesize their crops, but have caves in the mountains where the matoran would live, train, sleep, etc.

Please, do work! I’d hate to be the cause of you getting fired!

1 Like

Interesting…

Oh don’t worry, my job takes practically no brain power, in fact there are long periods of time where I’m just staring off into space.

1 Like

Dear Mata Nui I’m not reading this whole thing.

Now that I’ve skipped down, I finally got the chance to listen to the latest TTV podcast and I love Var’s idea for the earth element. Lego has actually done something similar in the Elves line, having Farran the Earth Elf control plants as well as dirt. I still believe there is room for Pohatu and Kopaka in the team, but should just the original four (earth, wind[air], and fire [and water]) elements be kept, I would like a pair of Pohatu and Kopaka like characters joining the Toa on their quests, following them around like R2-D2 and C-3PO. One of my favorite aspects of G1 is the Pohaut/Kopaka dynamic and that was also one of my least favorite aspects of G2 (among other things).