Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

you and me have similar ideas

we both are thinking of ways to explain Pohatu and Kopaka’s reasons to still exist in the Bionicle story.

by the way, have there been any ideas or talks about what if the turaga had some secrets that they were keeping from the toa and the rest of the villagers? similar to the “you are not the first toa” secret that Vakama told the toa nuva, but instead could be more story relevant than being an ending twist. Like if the Turaga (or what the elders in G3 are going to be called) were covering up something about Makuta.

How about when the Toa evolve some Toa with similar power sets or with complimentary powers begin to slowly merge with each other to become a completely new character with a combination of their same but different elements? We can expand on this concept with other moar wild ideas.

Here is my thought.

The Main Physical Elements

Have 4 Main Elements: Water, Fire, Air, and Earth

Have the new characters (or old named characters) be users of those four main element and are the original members of the Toa team (similar to how the Justice League has its own originating cast of characters). They are the Elite 4, the master of their specific craft, the best of the best for the specific elements.

Later on you are able to add new characters into the mix…those characters literally having mix abilities of the 4 main elements (aka Sub elements).

The Main Sub-physical Elements:

Those would be:
Wood (aka Jungle): Subelement of Water and Earth
Magma: Subelement of Earth and Fire
Cryo: Subelement of Air and Water
Lightning: Subelement of Fire and Air
Smoke: Subelement of Fire and Water
Sand: Subelement of Air and Earth

The Main Specialized Physical Elements:

Some could also be specialized users from the 4 main elements:

Metal: Specialized users of Earth, more precise in their Earth usage
Healing: Specialized users of Water, more benefitial and regenerative Water usage
Sonics: Specialized users of Air, more creative users of the sound transfering properties of Air
Plasma: Specialized users of Fire, more heat conducting Fire usage

All of these specialized elements, subelements, and main elements are part of the Material Elements, those that shape the worlds physical aspects. But then you have the Ethereal Elements, those that shape the worlds etherial and non physical aspects.

The Main Ethereal Elements:

The main 4 Elements here would be: Light, Time, Spirit, Darkness

They also have their subelements and specializations, but rarely would anyone incounter users of these elements, since the Elements shape the Ethereal part of the world

The Main Sub-Ethereal Elements:

Void: Subelement of Darkness and Spirit
Aether: Subelement of Light and Spirit
Psionics: Subelement of Time and Spirit
Chaos: Subelement of Time and Darkness
Order: Subelement of Time and Light
Mana: Subelement of Darkness and Light

The Main Specialized Ethereal Elements:

Magic: Specialized use of Spirit, one so intune with the Spiritual energies of the world, that is able to shape it through the interior Ethereal energies of the world. Reshaping it as he shooses.
Life: Specialized use of Light, one is in tune with the living energy of the world, as such is able to manipulate the creation of living things.
Death: Specialized use of Darkness, one is in tine with the entropic energies of the world, as such is able to manipulate the destruction of living things.
Dimension: Specialized use of Time, one is in tune with the reality of the material and ethereal worlds that is able to recognize other types of worlds and travel across them.

This will allow you to have Heroes and Villains of all types of elemental abilities under these categories. While the 4 main physical elements are the introductionary ones (most likely used by the main protagonists), the others can be used by additional protagonists and antanogists. Some elemental user are even indifferent to the concepts of morality, most notably from the Ethereal branch of Elemental usage.

3 Likes

What if Kopaka and Pohatu left the toa order because they felt the team’s peaceful ways didn’t ensure the protection of the matoran, and they became either their own mini duo of vigilantes, or they fight dark forces solo. Obviously, their methods are more violent than the other toa.

1 Like

I really don’t see the need to change the core structure of the source material; what was wrong with the original to begin with? Yes, I get that technically Stone and Earth are the same thing, but wouldn’t it be more interesting, in a REBOOT, to add little details to better differentiate them?

Meanwhile, why do you need to change the number of Toa or their Elements? the problem was not the original source material, but more so how it was distributed and the few odd details that made us scratch our heads. What a Reboot gives us is an opportunity to smooth out the rough edges and make a more clever and coherent story out of the original, but nowhere is it said that EVERYTHING has to be changed!

Why do we have to forget about Metru Nui? Couldn’t we just start off the series with that and create a consistent trend of every two seasons or such there’s a new team of Toa? [Of course Karda Nui and Bara Magna would be exceptions, only lasting one year or season, but by then we’d have eight seasons, so a shorter turn might be welcome?]

Yes, I get that one female amongst five males isn’t a desirable character setup these days, but to change that to ‘even things out’ would be essentially like making one or even two of the ninja turtles girls; you COULD, but it would go entirely against the source material for no other reason than some temporary social trend [also I do not like the decision to turn Pidge from Voltron into a girl. That’s stupid, you have princess Allura, who became a lion pilot and at one point looked like a humanized Gali. You don’t need another girl]

Why change the Rahkshi to different-looking creatures with small similarities when you could have the Hordika mutate into different species? And why not have the Rahkshi be Kraata that mutate and corrupt whatever they attach to? Better yet; you could have Kraata be what turns the Rahi evil and crazy [also mutated to be more dangerous] and then have the Kraata infect Matoran and transform them INTO Rahkshi! [Potential, potential,]

There’s a quote that The Dom [‘Lost in Adaptation’] uses that I think is perfectly relevant for this topic;
If you want to tell your own story; then tell your own story! Don’t take someone else’s story and make it your own!

3 Likes

Huh, interesting

I love this idea and I think that it’s really interesting, But I think it’s way too complex for a kids theme and the complexity could scare kid’s off (similar to the end of G1)

Edited for double-post -legomaster

Thats why you dont go head in with all of them from the start but bby starting with the main 4 physical elements and explain it later on through easy to describe hierarchies and links between all of them. Cause all of them are linkable.

Invision tree branches and roots: Roots are the etherial elements, branches are the physical elements. But you have interlocking branches and also specialized branches after those, same with roots. Its rather easy to figure that out if you explain it gradually over time…like through a TV show series, which would be perfect for this world building type.

And on that note, I dont want Bionicle to be just for kids, it should be for all ages, so having a bit more complexity for it would not be harmful…more importantly if its done through an easy to access medium. It being complex should not be a negative thing, rather an positive challege to make it easily accessible, despite the complexity.

These examples I gave are the building blocks of the Elements foundation, in what way they are portrayed is up to the narrative team. But they are there to add sense and believability to the world since its governed by its own set of rules and guidelines.

Thank you!

Exactly!

This is more story stuff, so I’m not gonna go into it since this topic is specifically about the elements.

This should be the headline for all reboots.

3 Likes

Here’s what will happen if Lego decides to change the elements, people will get made. It doesn’t matter what they do, people will get made if it is not the original 6 element.

1 Like

I’m going to make my thoughts known,
all the people who want to drastically change the world to the point of it essentially being an in-name-only reboot would be better off just coming up with your own original IP.

2 Likes

They’ll be mad anyway because BIONICLE G3 is a System theme.

If enough kids liked BIONICLE System for what it is and it reached Ninjago status in popularity, then the support of nostalgic fans wouldn’t even be necessary for the line to thrive.

Of course, if nostalgic fans could remain open-minded, that would be quite beneficial.

But if you make it with four elements you haven’t made Bionicle. You’ve made Ninjago with robots.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying I’m against six elements. Or five elements, or four. All I said was that the number of elements is going to affect far fewer people in the long run than BIONICLE being a System theme will.

You’d have to be very careful with how you do it because it could become impregnable go new fans. However if you did pull it off then it would probably amazing.

1 Like

I disagree, most people who had reservations about System Bionicle came around and were on board once they saw what could be through the Brickonicle contest, I see no reason that other fans who weren’t around/aren’t on the boards wouldn’t come around when they saw the actual sets. The elements on the other hand are at the core of the world of Bionicle, and for a lot of people the world is what matters most, so if you screw it up, you’ll probably alienate way more fans than you did by moving to System.

1 Like

You’re right. However, my idea of linking it into Bionicle is to make it a second island or something alike. When the Toa are done with their story arch, they could visit another island, where there are Toa and Matoran, however these Toa control the seasons. This could be an interesting storyline.

I don’t mind changes, but there’s a point where it stops being bionicle, there are certain staples to the theme that shouldn’t be changed.

Having a different number of elements would drastically change the dynamics of the entire theme.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

6 Likes

Well, I just finished listening to the latest Podcast, and here are my thoughts.

I am 100% Anti New characters, the Toa Mata are a fundamental part of BIONICLE and the Ignition trilogy only worked because the Inika were built up beforehand.

Now I love Pohatu and Kopaka, but the Toa Mata had waaay too many similar attributes. Gali and Onua were both soft-spoken, wise and peaceful (Most of the time) Pohatu and Lewa were both the joke-spewing everyman and that was not even scratching the surface of elements…

So yeah, I think Pohatu and Kopaka need to go, and their traits can be implemented into the other Toa. I suggest making Gali have ice-related powers and a personality more like Kopaka, making Tahu and Gali be opposites in almost every single way.

(I also really love the White and Green on Lewa, along with the cape…just…yes…)

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree on most points.