Brickonicle G3: Official TTV Canon List [CANON][Worldbuilding][Characters][Pitch]

I was also thinking that. Man great minds think alike

2 Likes

Thank you!

This weeks discussions have been ratherā€¦interesting. Iā€™m curious to see what they say on the podcast.

1 Like

Interesting ideas indeed, IĀ“d like to see what they make out of island hopping.

1 Like

I do as well. Although, they did say that want to get the initial island flushed out first.

I find it interesting because usually each weekā€™s discussion follows the themes of the previous podcast, while this week it went in a completely different direction.
Everything I saw was either about Voriki, or flushing-out the Toaā€™s weapon and fighting styles, so Iā€™m not sure what will come of this (if anything at all).
:relaxed:

1 Like

Well that would be interesting to see.

Yet, I do feel like this concept should be treated eventually.

1 Like

ok so here is an idea i though of (which is not so important to my personal idea for how Makuta should be like)

namely that when Makuta is brough back to life, its not in his original body, but in the body of a deceast Matoran, see were im going with this?:

Now this idea would only work if we are going by the idea of the Matorans using the normal minifigure legs which thus means that they are just as tall as the Toa, instead of having the old child size that they usually do.

the reason for why Makuta would be brough back to life in a different body would be because in my mind, Makuta is really old and by the time of the new Toaā€™s creation, his old body would have decomposed away long before that time, thus he would need a new body to contain his spirit.

1 Like

An interesting concept. But wouldnā€™t reversing the decomposition process be one of the reasons for the Brotherhood to steal the Mask of Time?

1 Like

No i mean that Makutaā€™s original body would basicly have decomposed into basicly dust, because unlike with dinosaur fossils, his corpse would not have been preserved from nature.

1 Like

Exactly. Which is why you would need a very powerful, reality-altering artifact (like the Mask of Time) to bring him back (at least in my opinion).

Iā€™m not saying the attempt will be entirely successful, thatā€™s just how I think the story should go.

2 Likes

Honestly, that would make it more realistic. I think with different government structures (as mentioned in TTV 240) you would naturally have disputes and tangles. Kind of like what you had on Bara Magna. You could even have a history of rivalries and maybe even wars too as Metru Nui did. That would make the world feel more organic.

2 Likes

I think that as far as Makuta and his motivations go, my opinion is that a hypothetical G3 should just outright drop the whole ā€œmisunderstood guy who becomes jealous and aspires to grow all powerfulā€ shtick we saw in the past two. Instead, Iā€™d rather take inspiration the Grimm in RWBY and Demise/Ganon in the Legend of Zelda. Rather than having Makuta be a lesser being like everyone else, I think he should directly be a force equal to the deities of the universe. Instead of being misunderstood and jealous, heā€™s just outright malicious and cruel. A cunning puppeteer whose ambition is solely to corrupt and destroy what the gods create as a from of ā€œentertainmentā€. His ultimate ambition would be to usurp them, destroy their creation, and create his own world that he himself can love and watch over in a twisted way.

Thereā€™s just something attractive about an evil that didnā€™t rise from the cracks, but instead was there at the start in equal opposition to the ones that created what everyone else considers normal. An evil that canā€™t be destroyed, but can always be contained. Itā€™s that cyclical nature of an ever present great evil that really draws attention to the overall plot and background lore of a fantasy story. The people in those types of stories usually go centuries without an incident, allowing them to get too comfortable and inevitably forget about the evil, until it shows its ugly face once again and the people suffer great loss. Through this, you get to show world building as you learn more about the ancient evil from legends and relics scattered about, all the while seeing the tragic effects of being unprepared against the threat.

2 Likes

@Tarvaax,
So, basically the completely irredeemable LOTR villains, like Sauron and Morgoth?

With, I admit that sort of villain does have its own charm, especially in a fantasy setting, and I would like to see something in it included in the story. However, I donā€™t think it should bare the name of ā€œMakuta.ā€

I personally think that the whole point of Makuta was to be a clever megalomaniac hiding in the shadows and scheming for power. In G1 one, when they made him and the rest of his species really over-powered to fight the Toa head-on, it lost a bit of that charm.

Iā€™d rather see Makuta be a lunatic trying (and succeeding) to challenge the eternal forces of good and evil on wits and cunning alone. I think the role of ā€œInfinite Lord of Darknessā€ could be given another character, like Karzahni or Tren Krom.

6 Likes

Perhaps you donā€™t know much about Ganon/Demise. He essentially is the epitome of wit and manipulation all in an effort for power and power alone. The top section of my previous comment outlined how that would work for Makuta, and the motivation heā€™d have to justify it. If you really wanted to, you could honestly make the Grimm from RWBY or Demise and his followers seem like people outcasted from their own home fighting to have it back. Ganondorf sought power at first in order to move his people out of the harsh desert, but his hatred consumed him. In the end he forgot about what originally mattered and sought power for the sake of it.

2 Likes

I understand, and Iā€™m fine with Makuta simply being a megalomaniac as motivation, and any all powerful being would have to be quite the intellectual to compete with him (why I suggested Tren Krom).

But, I think for Makuta in particular, it would be more interesting if he was one of the ā€œlesser beings,ā€ at least in direct power.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s immediately what I thought of when it came up in the Podcast.

So, each person to take on the mantle of Tahu, Lewa, etc. communes with those who once had that spirit, who are known after death by their original name. So, Vakama became Tahu, was known as Tahu, but after he died is known as Vakama, the XXth Tahu or something.

So, sort of like Aang and Roku, current gen Tahu is primarily mentored by Vakama but can also talk to Lhikan, Duma, etc.

This could be interesting for Lewa if one of her previous incarnations was Nidhiki, who somewhat followed his G1 selfā€™s path and betrayed his team. Also, you could throw in a reference to Gregā€™s original plan and have Matau also temporarily betray his team when he was Lewa, giving current-gen Lewa an internal struggle over whether thereā€™s something intrinsic about the Lewa spirit or the person Uxar chooses causing them to turn traitor.

5 Likes

I totally agree!! If nidhiki was the previous Toa, that would totally mess lewa up, this would be her character arc, whether to listen to that voice or choose her own path and become a better Toa than those before her, this would also be a string for makuta to pull.

Without solid guidance from a heroic past Toa she would be alone, and this would set her apart and make her a memorable character for sure.

6 Likes

Yes. Just. yes. as @NinjaBoyJoel said, this would not only set up a character Arc for her, but give her a vulnerability that Makuta could exploit, leading to the infamous Onua and Lewa fight scene, although this could be given a new spin to it. Also, I donā€™t think she should be completely distanced from her Toa spirits, but instead, after showing them that she will never make the same mistakes they did, she not only convinces the two of them to actually train her instead of tempting and controlling her, but also finds new spirits like Lessovik and Iruni (they are also Toa of Air so why not have them be included?)

6 Likes

In my current pitch, though we havenā€™t had time to delve into Makuta on the podcast yet. Makuta is resurrected as a Matoran with a corrupted, powerless Mask of Control.

4 Likes

I hadnā€™t even thought about Lesovik and Iruini. If both are based on their G1 counterparts, then you have two former Lewa with prominent failures in their histories (come to think of it, G1 Toa of Air had all the bad stuff happen to them :P).

4 Likes

I am in love with this idea. This should happen, totally.

5 Likes