Brickonicle "Sets" Discussion

Mangai - Volcanic Speeder (Like the Return of the Jedi speeder bikes, but using the heat of the lava to hover.)

Ihu - Tundra Walker (Stilt-like machine to walk through deep snow. Could also pierce ice to have traction.)

Motara - Desert Skiff (Small raft/boat that can glide across sand dunes)

Tiro - Forrest Tunneler (Standard machine with the big drill as its front. Or maybe one with claws and a badger-like digging motion.)

Naho - Ocean Bobber (A pod or sub that can collect things underwater. Maybe has robo arms on the front.)

Kanae - Sky Glider (Simpler than the one in the above image. More like a hang glider that uses their wind powers to glide.)

3 Likes

And maybe the different utility Bohrok could be the evolutions of those (for the single/double seaters).

Iā€™m struggling to accept vehicles as sets. One thing that has me a little confused with Brickonicle that I donā€™t believe was brought up before is the tech in this universe. For the ā€œGolden Yearsā€ of Bionicle G1, it made perfect sense for the characters to be mostly mechanical, even in such an unadvanced location (not at first, but whatever). Here, well, not really. How are the people so advanced tech-wise, but not their environment? If they did have vehicles, where would they get all the resources to make them? (Unless they vehicles are very primitive) If they have such enhanced mechanical bodies, and vehicles, why would their homes be so primitive and unadvanced? All that being said, I do enjoy the ideas of rahi. Particularly the insects. I like idea of the settings and contraptions as well. Sorry if this went a little off topic with the matoran, but I thought it would add to my thoughts a little.

1 Like

It comes down to region-by-region. Tiro would be less advanced, but every other region (especially Ihu and Naho) would be advanced.

With resources, you could attribute it to Mangai, Tiro and Motara harvesting metals and other underground ores (through various methods, mainly elemental power) and trading some of them for goods and services with other regions (at a time where thereā€™s no Civil War). After enough trading of resources and techniques, each region could become autonomous and develop their own methods of gathering resources.

As to how they would power the advanced vehicles, it would mainly just be elemental energy from the driver/pilot (you could argue that the elemental energy within Matoran is one of the best fuel sources known to Matoran-kind, so they built their vehicles around it).

Year 1 Artakha could be less advanced, but Year 2 could introduce an industrial revolution which boils over into Civil War. Year 3 could be the result of innovation and hard work, turning Artakha from a G1 Mata Nui to a G1 Metru Nui.

3 Likes

Personally I was thinking a mining mech, which has been put forward before, basically a g3 boxor, a small mech with a drill arm would be cool.

ā€œG1 retroactively explained it so it gets a pass but thereā€™s no explanation in g3 yet so it doesnā€™t.ā€

Iā€™m sorry, but thatā€™s very biased flawed logic.

That was basically my thinking, fairly primitive designs with some mechanical technology, I imagine the different environments and tribal societies would create different technological advancements, bionicle has always combined tribal with technological and I think it can be achieved here.

2 Likes

Not sure if you saw my Bohrok topic (somewhere before the Racers were posted), but one of the utility Bohrok models is an excavation-type invented in Tiro (the more tech-accepting parts). It would basically be like what youā€™ve suggested, but it could morph into a ball to add protection and maneuverability in tight spaces.

1 Like

Personally Iā€™m not confident the bohrok as you describe them would make for a very interesting set lineup, perhaps as nexo knights esque battle packs, in universe they would have to be region specific specializations of a single vehicle invented during or after your proposed industrial revolution, to really make sense, which given the growing hostility would seem unlikely.
Regardless they only really make sense, like I said, during or after your proposed industrial revolution, which leaves the boxor to be a primitive mining machine, which could be replaced by the bohrok later as it becomes obsolete.

2 Likes

Seems fair enough.

1 Like

Seems a little Chima-like if you ask meā€¦ but I guess it could work.

Thatā€™s not biased at all. If youā€™re going to do something to the extreme of making every inhabitant of a island partially mechanical, there should be an explanation. Thatā€™s something that made G1 great. It took the flaws, and allowed them to make sense. Vehicles in Brickonicle could be cool, but Iā€™m not too sure how they would work in universe. If we do introduce them, think should look very primitive.

Yeah sure, that could actually work out pretty well with some being more advanced then others. But for the resources, we are on an island here. There is not an unlimited amount of resources. Take for instance, Japan. Japan is considered an island nation, and has very few resources. You could argue that they have become very advanced, but that was partially due to imports. Where would the Artahkans get imports from? I just doubt that even an area like Ihu or Naho could make too advanced machinery with the amount of resources provided to them.

1 Like

The problem that Payinku seems to be having with this is that for a long time G1 didnā€™t have an explanation, either. Yes, Bionicle did go back and explain it eventually. But weā€™re currently working on year 1 of Brickonicle. We did not have an explanation of why these biomechanical beings were on Mata Nui in '01. Therefore, this is either a flaw that G1 and G3 share, or itā€™s not a flaw because it opens up for further story-telling, like you said. But whatever you decide it is, both stories share it equally right now.

As for my opinion of the vehicles, Iā€™ve never really cared that thereā€™s no realistic reason why there should be vehicles in this setting. Look at Ninjago, a very successful action IP. Despite appearing to be a more historical Japanese setting, it features a modern level of technology, with vehicles being woven in from the very beginning. Maybe people just want to be a bit more realistic with Brickonicle, but personally I would be fine if G3 followed in the footsteps of Ninjago. Of course, proposing limitations such as never using wheels would make the sets more interesting and give Brickonicle its own flair, an idea that I like.

1 Like

I Yeah Iā€™m fine if there is an explanation later on, as long as there is an explanation. With your thoughts on the vehicles, I do like your idea of giving Brickonicle itā€™s own special flair. Not all original IPs can be based off of Ninjago.

I think it should be more realistic. As I stated earlier, one of G1ā€™s charms was itā€™s ability to explain itself in a completely logical way (for the most part). While some may say that we should branch off from G1, I think we should keep some of the things that made it popular to begin with. Going too crazy with the tech could be stray away from how Bionicle was originally meant to be.

2 Likes

I just meant each region would import/export from each other. Since Tiro, Motara and Mangai would be the most likely to harvest metals from the earth (Tiro and Motara having EXTREMELY deep tunnel systems and caverns from excavation due to their connection to the earth and stone), a majority of Artakhaā€™s metal resources would come from those regions, at least until the other regions developed better methods of extraction.

1 Like

Ok, thatā€™s reasonable, but with the advances for years 2 and 3 how advanced are you proposing Artahka would be?

1 Like

We can incorporate this post for technology later down the line.

1 Like

Long Version

Since Matoran would advance at a different rate and in different fields to humans, it would be safe to say that they could potentially go from Mata Nui to Metru Nui within the span of 10 years.

The Matoran havenā€™t really had too much motivation to advance, since theyā€™ve relied mainly on their elemental power and environment in order to survive, as well as not having very many wars to force their hand (with some exceptions). Since theyā€™ve adapted to their environment, they wouldnā€™t need to focus on their housing (maybe a basic structure with some insulation). If light stones are a thing (according to Motara concept art), they could just use those for light and render electricity and torchlight obsolete.

Considering the massive tech research boost that would occur during the Civil War (Matoran inventing new ways to kill each other) and the Matoranā€™s natural ability to manipulate the elements, their advancement would be at a much quicker rate than mankindā€™s rate. Considering how quickly mankind has advanced in 100 years alone, Iā€™d say the Matoran (with their enhanced power and tech boost) could possibly go from a tribal/medieval era to a renaissance/industrial revolution era between Year 2 and Year 3, with the end of Year 3 resulting in tech reminiscent of the 1910s.

However, there is one rogue element not being taken into consideration: Nuparu (if Nuparu is ever made canon in G3). Nuparu (made female for reasons) would be the pioneer of technological innovation and invention. Being the Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla of her time, she would have essentially already invented advanced machines, which would cause her to be banished from her Tiroan home. Long story short, her accomplishments would be recognized during and after the Civil War, and she would become the Great Builder of Matoran history.

Short Version

In Year 2, theyā€™d develop vehicles of war. Between Years 2 and 3, theyā€™d improve on the designs. In Year 3, they could develop a highly-tuned transport system between regions (as a means of efficiently transporting raw materials en masse to build better cities), acting as a precursor to the chutes of Metru Nui. All of this would be powered by elemental energy (since itā€™s the easy way of explaining power) or possibly charged light stones.

2 Likes

I would like if the sets would be like in Nexo Knights and Ninjago, this mean with a lot of cool vehicles, mechs, locations, etc. I would also like the idea of multiple vehicles of thing for the Toas like, in a set Lewa have a jungle motorcycle like thing, and in another from the same wave or year he have a little thing or a glider.

1 Like

I really want to see more community made sets.

5 Likes

I would be on board with this idea. Sometimes I lose direction while building and have to leave it until I have thought it over for awhile; working with other people could keep ideas flowing by bouncing them off each other and getting feedback.

2 Likes

A new topic called The Hydruka Crisis by @Toa_Vladin has some material that could be good for the Civil War period.

2 Likes

A possible Rahkshi base I made a few days ago. The color scheme looks like Turahk (It is), But all of the Rahkshi with more than 2 legs would look something like this.

Hereā€™s it next to a minifig.
And hereā€™s Panrahk, who uses a similar design.
So anyway, thatā€™s it for the base, see ya!
~Levva

Is this Off-Topic? Idk.

1 Like