Brickonicle G3: Early Set Recommendations [Sets][Pitch]

A while back I decided to make a prototpyical list of sets for BIONICLE Gen 3 based off of the TTV’s various discussions. I put off posting it because I wanted to include pictures, but my scanner didn’t pick up my rough sketches and I was too lazy to darken them. All in all, I think the list itself still stands. It is in no way complete, and won’t be until TTV releases their full story and plans for vehicles/locations/creatures, however it contains most of the major plot elements they’ve discussed so far and a lot of the “filler” sets (things LEGO would probably do but TTV may not take the time to talk about.) There are also a lot of placeholder slots (for example, I couldn’t remember which time fragments belonged to which element, so some of them say ____ fragment instead of the actual name.

When copying it over the formating on the list didn’t save, and I will be updating this list as new episodes come out, so I’d recommend visiting my original Google Doc to avoid typos and outdated information that may be here.

Foreword:
The Average wave in LEGO comes with around 13 sets, so I’ve set that as a base. Each wave will have three kinds of sets

• 6-8 Basic sets: These are the bulk of the collection. Each comes with 1-2 Toa and 1-2 Villains. The first 6 sets in the collection are each based on a different element and feature the respective Toa, but more expensive ones with have additional Toa. The 7th and 8th sets are optional and will pretty much always have more than one Toa (sometimes even having three.) Most destructive Rahi will be in these sets
  • 3-5 Swarm sets: These are “collectors” sets used to build up characters there are multiples of. For the first two or three waves these will based on Matoran, and in later waves will be based on Swarm Villains or be dropped all-together. The largest set in this collection for each wave will be a central village set, closer to City sets then Action-Adventure Themes. If TTV decides to not do swarm villains this style of set will most likely be dropped after the first year or two (save large villages) I proposed having a random villager in these sets, but it could be the Toa or Rahkshi before mutation instead. Most passive Rahi will be in these sets
  • 1-2 Advanced sets: Strongly story driven sets that come with 4-6 Toa and a similar amount of villains. These sets are story heavy and often feature the main antagonist of the year/Makuta
    In the comment section of your Brickonicle winners video I saw someone comment about creating sets for each Koro that where three-in-one models to build items from each Koro, and after you suggested the boat-roofed huts for Ihu I decided to implement that. I found it hard to come up with three models though, so they could be two-in-one instead. I also wasn’t sure if they should come with Toa or Matoran, as the later would make more sense for collectors that would buy extra copies to make all three models, but the Battle Packs would be an easier way to build Matoran armies (see below) For world building purposes I’ve released them all in the first two waves, but it would make more sense from a retail perspective to release them alongside the big village sets (like “Fire Village” would come out with “Mangai”)

I made this list while watching through the podcasts, and you may notice I’ve left a lot of open spaces. These spaces will be filled as the TTV starts to cover the year in question, as they’ve only released the plot of the first year so far. In the first separate Brickonicle podcast they suggested on moving the Civil War from year two to wave to so I’ve done so, however I’ve also marked the Civil War sets to show what can be moved around. One thing that changed while typing was them coming up with a purpose for Suvas. This was my original pitch:

• Suva Polybag (Promotional, doesn’t count for 13 sets of the wave)

• Maybe in Wave 1 or 2, wide release polybag available in stores (like 30294 The Cowler Dragon)

• Comes with a Suva like the ones included in the six big Matoran village sets. Weather or not Suvas serve a storyline purpose at all is up to TTV, but this polybag and the Suvas in other sets are designed to display any masks people collect (see Battle Pack below)

• Suva can have six or twelve slots for Masks, up to TTV. A center space is also available for special masks
    I’ve kept the Suvas in the large village sets just in-case, but their new descriptions for Suvas suggest we may need something different, and I’ll get to that in the Battle Packs.

Also note, for the sake of saving typing I refer to all Matoran of the Makuta Cult as Raiders even though they may not be.

Collectibles:
Masks would be collectables spread throughout the sets, and I think any set with a generic Matoran should come with multiple masks to customize them. They won’t necessarily serve a storyline service, but would help with MOCing minifigs.
Infected Masks are a special case. They are much rarer than normal colored Masks (only appearing in one or two sets.) My idea was that, unlike Gen1, Infected Masks do not let Makuta control creatures, rather they are tributes to him worn by the Raiders. Perhaps Infected Masks could grant immunity to other Mask powers, explaining why some Rahi weren’t frozen in Time and allowing the Raider Matoran to be more on par with the Toa.
The Fragments of Time will be included in several Wave 1 sets, however I do not think these should be new molds as that would be too expensive and they may be awkward for minifigs to hold. They should be Trans-Clear 1x1 Tiles printed with images of the fragments

You may have noticed that I included lots of Matoran in the sets present despite TTV’s distaste for making them a main selling-point (at least in earlier podcasts), however one of them (if I remember right it was John) did seem to think the Matoran should be made collectibles. I’m of the mind that Matoran would be much like the “cannon-fodder” characters from other themes. For example: the Toa are the Ninja, the Rahkshi are the Serpintine Generals, and the Matoran are Serpintine soldiers/scouts; and their rarity would be as such. I decided to make a compramise: aside from the Civil War arc (for obvious reasons) not many sets will come with Matoran, but those that do will come with a lot of Matoran. In fact I’d go as far to say the remaining sets in this list would be all the sets containing Matoran and all the unspecified ones would be Toa based, but that could change.

Sets:
Wave 1
Jungle Terror

• $5-10

• Tree with fall over function

• Floating shrine (clear stick to hold up)

• Lego City Panther with Biomechanical print

• The ____ Fragment

• Lewa

• Lerahk
    Tarakava Strike

• $10-20

• Underwater arch

• Coral rock

• Shrine

• Tarakava

• The ____ Fragment

• Gali

• Guurahk
    The Frosted Ruins

• $10-20

• 3 or 4 ice coated pillars (a few with flags)

• Snow-covered shrine

• The ____ Fragment

• Kopaka

• Kurahk
    The Lava Beast

• $10-30

• Small rock/outcropping

• Lava monster (kinda like the one from Moana)

• Some Firespitter Bugs (one piece)

• Volcano Shrine

• The ____ Fragment

• Tahu

• Tuurahk
    Despair in the Dunes

• $40-60

• Temple similar in shape/layout to 7623 Temple Escape from Indiana Jones

• Temple has swinging axes, trapdoor too scorpion pit, and falling rocks leading to shrine

• The ____ Fragment

• Nui-Jaga

• Pohatu

• Kopaka

• Panrahk

• Stone Statue
    The Crystal Mines

• $60-80

• Playsets similar to 79018 the Lonely Mountain from The Hobbit

• Left segment has purple crystals and winch function. Segment of the wall can explode to reveal rahkshi

• Middle segment has trees up top with roots running down and big wooden doors. Behind the doors is a shrine with yellow light brick to shine down as (sunlight)

• Right segment has conveyor belt and rock crusher

• The ____ Fragment

• Ussal?

• Onua

• Lewa

• Vorahk
    Fire Village 3-in-one

• $10-20

• First build is a guard tower

• Second build is a wall with armor racks and training dummy

• Third build is battle trenches and traps(?)

• Comes with either Tahu, 1 Fire Matoran, or 2 Fire Matoran
    Ice Village 3-in-one

• $10-20

• First build is a wooden viking shack with boat roof and fireplace

• Second build is Norse looking boat (stuck in ice?) That can be lit on fire

• Third build is the boat hull used as shrine for a wooden totem and surrounded by torches

• If the ship has a mast it can be used as flags on the others

• Comes with either Kopaka, 1 Ice Matoran, or 2 Ice Matoran
    Stone Village 3-in-one

• ?

Mangai

• $80-100
  • Giant castle with two towers
  • Winch room and Armory
  • Retractable bridge (Ta-Koro Brickonicle?)
  • Wall mounted catapult
  • Fire Village Suva
  • Tahu
  • Vakama
  • Jaller
  • Kapura
  • 1 or 2 fire matoran
    3 others. To keep things even they should contain Gali, Tahu, Onua, and Pohatu

Wave 2
The Boxor (CW)

• $15-20

• The Boxor

• Nuparu

• Onua

• Tahu

• Something to fight (original villain, a Rahi, another Matoran?)
    The Statue Fields (CW)

• $10-20

• Giant statue head (can be toppled over)

• Two Mahi

• Pohatu

• Gali

• Stone Matoran

• Something to fight? (see above)
    The Rama Hive (CW?)

• $20-30

• Gukko Bird with two saddles

• Two Nui Rama

• Lewa

• Kopaka

• Wind Matoran
    The Raiders (CW)

• $20-30

• Two Dikapi

• Ox-like Rahi

• Caravan with tent piece for roof (roof can be detached for actual tent. Carried by Ox Rahi)

• Ahkmou

• Tuyet

• Four other Matoran (one from each tribe)

• Box of 6 Infected Masks (one for each Raider)
    Water Village 3-in-one

• ?

Wind Village 3-in-one

• $10-20
  • First build is a hut on stilts with that horn from MNOG
  • Second build is a windmill
  • Third build is a fenced off landing pad with telescope (and Gukko?)
  • Houses are built with snot bricks and plate walls, so the walls of the hut and windmill can build the platform and fence
  • Cones with either Lewa, 1 Wind Matoran, or 2 Wind Matoran
    Earth Village 3-in-one
  • $10-20
  • First build is a stone hut with a roof garden
  • Second build is a shallow cave full of plants and roots
  • Third build is a treehouse with rocks at the base
  • Comes with either Onua, 1 Earth Matoran, or 2 Matoran
    Naho
  • $40-50
  • Large catamaran
  • Detachable canoe
  • Suva of Water
  • Gali
  • Nokama
  • Kotu
  • Macku
  • 1 or 2 Water Matoran
    Temple of Time/Makuta’s Tomb/Magnaia (so many things it could be)
  • $120
  • Large evil looking castle with tall center tower (red and black?) on one side
  • Mossy court-yard on the inside
  • Flip around wall to reveal Makuta
  • Flip around table in center. One one side there are studs to place the Fragments of Time on, on the other is the Mask of Time
  • All six Toa
  • Makuta (Matoran/Weakened form)
  • Turahk, Kurahk, and Lerahk (or at least 3 Rahkshi. These felt like the three “least complicated” and they came in the cheapest other sets. Any combo of Rahkshi or all six Rahkshi can be used, but I worry that would make too many minifigs in one set)
    4 others. I feel like the Civil War Arch should have three more sets (one for Water, one for Fire, and one for Ice) but I can’t think of anything good enough for those. Each should come with a Toa and Matoran of that element, and another Toa.
    Wave 3
    Toa Canister (Promotional, doesn’t count for 13 sets of the wave)
  • Polybag, promotional or full release
  • Toa Canister
  • Six transparent 1x1 tiles with the Nuva symbols in the Toa’s respective colors (bag art shows off 1x1 trans-red tile with Tahu’s symbol attached to the canister)
  • Tahu
    Toa Canister Launching Station
  • $30-50
  • Six modular launching docks (technic lever, knocks canisters up and outward)
  • Futuristic rounded doorway
  • Central control panel
  • Armor Stands? (capable of holding all armor and weapons from the first two years and has space for the third year. Set only comes with two, one for Onua {for his shoulder armor} and one that can be copied for everyone else)
  • Pohatu
  • Onua
  • 1 or 2 original villains
  • You can combine this set with four copies of set “Toa Canister” to fill up all it’s launching stations
    Raider Village
  • $60-80
  • Similar to 70626 Dawn of Iron Doom meets 79010 The Goblin King Battle in the rough shape of 70732 City of Stiix
  • Large loot tower
  • Guard tower with launching mechanism (ballista)
  • Water wheel
  • “Dumbwaiter” bucket
  • Infected Mask Suva?
  • Rahi pen
  • Various traps
  • Gali
  • Lewa
  • Six Raiders (one from each tribe) each wears one of the 6 infected masks that weren’t in “The Raiders” set
    Kanae
  • $40-50
  • Large marble building that can be opened on hinges
  • Map of Artakha
  • Marble statue with Mixel joints (recolors!!!)
  • Bookcases
  • Suva of Wind
  • Lewa
  • Matau
  • Kongu
  • Tamaru
  • 1 or 2 Wind Matoran
    10 Other sets. I feel like Nuju, Whenua, and Onewa should appear in sets by the end of the wave (or even the last one) incase it get canceled early. If that’s the case Wave 6 should have sets with Vakama, Matau, and Nokama, or there could be a Wave 2 or 3 set with all six Turaga.

Wave 4
The Mask Forge

• $20-40
  • Large furnace
  • Lava flow that feeds into furnace (drop down chute with trans-orange studs)
  • Wall with knock-down door
  • Work Table (can be split in half?)
  • Bed?
  • Flip around wall/table with bits of metal on one side and a mask on the other
  • 2 or 3 boxes of masks
  • Lots of masks in various shapes and colors (four for each box, five on tables, three extra?)
  • Suva?
  • Tahu
  • Kopaka
  • Nuhrii
  • 1 original villain
    Motari
  • $60-80
  • Large light blue and gold middle-eastern castle
  • A side building and side tower in tan and gold
  • Interiors of buildings feature pottery stations, carving stations, art tapestries, ect.
  • Bazar and Rahi pen
  • 1 or 2 Husi
  • A Mahi
  • Suva of Stone
  • Pohatu
  • Onewa
  • Hewkii
  • Hafu
  • 1 or 2 Stone Matoran
    11 Other sets

Wave 5
Makuta’s Horrors

• $5-20
  • Flip around wall
  • 2 Lightning Matoran
  • 1 Lightning Amalgamate
  • Lewa
  • Place the Matoran and Amalgamate on either side of the wall to make them transform
    The Lightning Village
  • $30-50
  • 1 tall tower
  • 1 short tower
  • 1 docking station
  • Several bridges
  • 3 Lightning Amalgamates
  • Onua
  • Kopaka
  • Pohatu
  • Structures in this set are modular with each other and the Lightning Temple
    The Lightning Temple
  • $40-60
  • Large Temple similar to the central model of The Lightning City concept MOC
  • Raisable platform to reveal minifig
  • Toa Canister with Lightning Symbol?
  • Voriki
  • Tahu
  • Gali
    Ihu
  • $40-50
  • Large Viking-esc hut that splits open on hinges (very similar to Kanae)
  • Large fireplace with light bricks
  • Writing on the walls and secret door (the Sanctum from MNOG reference)
  • Collection of rainbow bricks surrounded by trans-clear bricks to create a “prism” spike in the center of the room
  • 1-3 Yakk-like Rahi
  • Kopaka
  • Nuju
  • Matoro
  • Kopeke
  • 1 or 2 Ice Matoran
    9 Other sets

Wave 6
Clash of the Gods

• $20-40
  • Ekimu and Makuta in their full power forms (Either a Maxifigure like Antman and Ares, a mixel joint fig, or full-blown constraction)
  • Rock with jump out function
  • Explodable rock
  • Toppling pillar
  • Makuta and Ekimu minifigs
    The Brother’s City
  • $40-80
  • Stone tower that can be knocked over
  • Large stone gate that can come off its hinges
  • Battering ram?
  • Small hut (with prison?)
  • Large and destructive Rahi
  • Gali
  • Lewa
  • Kopaka
  • Toa Kiata?
  • All living original villains save Makuta and the Rahkshi (sort of like a meeting of generals)
    Makuta’s Lair
  • $80-100
  • Blow away cocoon-like walls
  • Archway to go “deeper” into the lair
  • The Void (likely redesigned from G1)
  • Makuta’s final form
  • Rahi guards (Manas?)
  • The Fallen [Reanimated Toa corpses. I’ve got an idea for these (; ]
  • Tahu
  • Onua
  • Pohatu
  • Toa Kiata?
    Tiro
  • $100-120
  • Large two parter set
  • Top part is an ancient and huge tree, perhaps with a treehouse
  • Bottom part is a collection of caves with roots running through it
  • Rooms of the caves are full of plants and flowers, a few “Huts” are built into the walls (just the front walls)
  • On the lower levels are holes looking behind the set where there are mini-models of pyramid-type temples “Deep below”
  • One of the rooms has a cave in function, another is behind a blow-away wall
  • Onua
  • Whenua
  • Onepu
  • Taipu
  • 1 or 2 Earth Matoran
    9 More sets. Karzahni in his god form should be included somehow, either as a “secret model” in the Clash of the Gods set or as a model that’s parts are divided among all the sets, and his instructions will be released after the episode with him airs. Karzahni and Voriki (from last wave) in their minifig forms should be “secret figs” that are blacked out with question marks on the box, that away people with think Karzahni is just another set with Voriki before they buy it. Maybe the set with Karzahni (either form) would be released in December after the episode comes out.
    I would like it if Voriki’s mask came in all colors, but that is not necessary

The Spirit Sets (need a wave)

• $5-20
  • Ikir Spirit of Tahu
  • Melum (or change it like you wanted) Spirit of Kopaka
  • Akida Spirit of Gali
  • Terak Spirit of Onua
  • Ketar Spirit of Pohatu
  • Uxar Spirit of Lewa
  • Each set is a Mixel joint build
  • Sets are either two-in-one letting you rebuild the humanoid spirits into animals, or include both the humanoid and animal

Matoran Battle Packs:
For a long time I had been considering a way to make G1 of BIONICLE into a System theme and video game (about 7 months before G2 started to be exact, called it Minionicle) and one thing I had come up with was Matoran Battle Packs, and what you guys discussed in one of the Podcasts was pretty similar so I decided to change it up a bit for G3, however in later podcasts your views for what they should be diverged. I have included three “bases” for armor sets, each of which has its own sub-options based on what we want to go for.

Suva Packs: In a recent TTV Podcast they talked about their idea on how to implement Suva’s into the story and how they could be used for Battle Packs. I loved this idea, but figured including a bunch of Matoran AND a Suva would make things super expensive, so here’s my plan:
Each village will have two Battle Packs, a Suva Pack and a Villager Pack. The Suva Pack will cost around $20 and will come with a gate to the suva, suva walls with spaces for all the masks, all 12 masks in the villages prime color, a gold mask, and all elite Matoran color variants (without “cloth accessories”)
The Villager Pack will be just $10-15 and will come with all villager variants, one or two soldiers (who will likely have just one variant), and a random selection of masks in the village’s secondary colors
For example the Ta-Koro Suva Pack will come with

• Golden Hau
  • 12 red Kanohi
  • A red elite Matoran
  • A yellow elite Matoran
  • An orange elite Matoran
  • Suva display wall
    The Ta-Koro VIllager Pack will come with
  • 9 random orange and yellow (and maroon?) Kanohi
  • A red villager
  • A yellow villager
  • An orange villager
  • A black guard
  • A maroon guard?
    This way common Matoran will be cheaper to get and rare matoran will be more expensive, hence making collections contain more common villagers then elites. A personal wish of mine is to make the Suva’s modular with each other, making a sort of arena of masks. The Masks in the larger Suvas could be random too, but I don’t know how well that would work.

Collector’s Packs: TTV hasn’t been clear about what all the Matoran color combos are going to be, but I’ve thought of an easy option to make all of them pretty cheap.
Assuming there’s between 16-20 non-elite Matoran variants we could make a Collectible Minifig series with each pack containing a different Matoran. This would allow each villager to be obtained cheaply but feel special, and make all variants easy to collect a bunch of.
To go alongside this would be a Mask Collectible Pouch series. Each pouch would contain either all the masks of certain color or all the masks of a certain shape for just $2-3. This will make collecting masks super easy. Even if we don’t make a CMF Matoran series a Mask Series would be a good way to release all masks without having to have them be randomized in the Battle Packs.

G1 Battle Packs: These are a slight edit of my plans for Battle Packs for G1, and so are based off of the McToran, Kohli-Toran, and Metru-Toran. Since the G3 minifigs are going to have more in depth printing then just “red legs” these probably won’t work but I’ll share them anyway.
Each set comes with three Matoran from a tribe, each in a different color, and each Matoran has three random Masks (collect them all!) alongside accessoires based on the villages (like a green satchel from MNOG for Water or a trident and shield for Fire) The instructions suggest you mix and match the colors of the Matoran to make your own (like the Fun in the City sets) and even encourage you to mix colors of different elements to make them more creative/G3 friendly (like Wind and Ice figs can be combined to make G3 accurate Wind Matoran.) The sets are $10 each and have a $60 product collection box. Color distribution is as follows:
Fire

• Red
  • Maroon
  • Yellow
    Water
  • Blue
  • Light Blue
  • Navy
    Wind
  • Green
  • Lime
  • Dark Green
    Ice
  • White
  • Sand Blue
  • Grey
    Stone
  • Brown
  • Bronze
  • Tan
    Earth
  • Black
  • Orange
  • Purple
    One color missing from the list from Gen 1 is Turquoise. Alternatively to what is suggested we could give Turquoise to Wind, Dark Green to Earth, and Purple can be saved for Voriki’s introduction.
    In order to save on production values, Masks won’t be completely randomized, rather there will be preset distributions, especially if you decide to give male and female Matoran different prints. For example, say we had set 55550 Water Matoran Battle Pack. It would have four variations
    55550-1 Male Blue Matoran with a Hau, Kaukau, and Miru
    55550-2 Female Blue Matoran with a Kakama, Pakari, and Akaku
    55550-3 Male Blue Matoran with a Huna, Rau, and Mahiki
    55550-4 Female Blue Matoran with Komau, Ruru, and Matatu
    (in addition each has the Light Blue and Navy Matoran in similar patterns). If you don’t know what I mean by this go on Brickset and look up the Collectible Minifig set numbers and it should give you a rough idea
    An alternative way to do this is make one big set like 60134 Fun in the Park or 60153 Fun at the Beach. These would be easier on production and bring the price for the full collection down to $40, and would make it more fun for kids. However this would make it difficult to build just one village (say you just wanted one more yellow Matoran, why buy a $40 pack with 17-18 figs you don’t need when you could spend $10 for just 2 you don’t need)
    You could also make 18-19 separate packs for each color, or 3 packs that come with a color from each village, but I doubt these would sell well.
    I think the Battle Packs should either be released 3 at a time for the first 2 waves, or 2 at a time for the 3 waves. They could be released 1 per wave but I feel like that would both ruin the fun of mixing colors between packs and make a risk of not getting all Battle Packs out in the case of a premature cancellation.
9 Likes

This really makes me feel how realistic G3 would be. I can imagine these in my local Wal-Mart!

3 Likes

These are some really good ideas. What if the temple sets were all modular, and could all be combined to one large setup? It seems like something LEGO would do.

3 Likes

I really like the sound of most of these.
I created a topic to discuss Brickonicle sets in which some good ideas have been bounced around, some of which could probably fit into your lineup.

If you are able to post your sketches I might be able to recreate some in LDD for you.

3 Likes

»action theme
»literally 3 vehicle sets

M8 how many times do I have to repeat to the community that that won’t be profitable.

Gliders, airships, sandships, seaships, ussal crabs, gukko birds, brick-built rahi in general,
an action theme needs action sets,
I don’t care how many gimmicks you cram into a brick wall, it’s still a brick wall, there needs to be a balance between structure and vehicle.

5 Likes

You did almost all the work for Lego