Canisters/Boxes/Bags Disscusion Topic

I always thought that the Metru had the best canisters.

2 Likes

I really liked the Nuva canisters, since it doubled as a mask stand.

2 Likes

I love the original Mata Cans. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Eiether Bohrok or Toa metru are my favorite.

3 Likes

Surprised nobody’s mentioned this yet but the Throwbot/Slizers’ boxes are my favorite. You can store disks in them and attach them to your belt to wear as fanny packs like a true 90s kid.

6 Likes

At the end of the recaps I hope Eljay will quickly review the canisters from each year like he does for the boxes in the recent reviews. Boxes for things like the manas and other titans wouldn’t be necessary but if he just pulls out one toa canister for each year that would be cool

1 Like

exentia made an actual moc out of the 2007 canister frame :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I really liked the design of the Toa’s canisters for '08 as they made the sets stand out a lot more than they would with a normal box

4 Likes

TAMW Matoro gets mispackaged with Hahli’s canister frame

9 Likes

Wish I’d seen that back in '07. Would’ve bought them both

1 Like

Canisters are something I will never forget. We had canisters for a lot of themes, not just Bionicle and Hero Factory…

Why LEGO, why? The cardboard boxes are just 100% trash (i am serious, they deserve nothing other then be thrown to trash). Why can’t we have canisters back, at least for Creator? I want them back! I know cardboard boxes are more cheap and eco-firendly, but who cares? They are just trash. Sadly, nothing that we used to love LEGO for is the same anymore…

You said it yourself:

The fact of the matter is, plastic is non-renewable resource that takes 500-1000 years to break down (see this video for more on the subject). LEGO is a company committed to becoming as environmentally sustainable as possible. They already use plastics to make their core product (bricks). Why would they waste this valuable resource on canisters when their are cheaper and more efficient storage solutions available

Sure, BIONICLE canisters aren’t nearly as disposable as other LEGO plastic packaging such as blister packs. Yes, canisters can technically be reused (and most of the early G1 sets had cool functionalities built it). However, I doubt most kids took full advantage of the canister’s functionalities and potential for reuse (I’ll have to look into this more; it’s an interesting question).

Of course it isn’t. LEGO is a collective of individual people making decisions. People change. People evolve. To expect everything to stay exactly the same forever (while perfectly understandable) is unrealistic.

LEGO in 2018 isn’t the same company producing the same sets you remember so fondly from their childhood. However, if you put down the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles, you’ll discover that LEGO is just as full of creativity, innovation and quality as it was 10 years ago. Trust me, I went through a very similar process a few years ago. It’s all just part of growing up :).

5 Likes

It was a rhetorical question.

As much as this new echo friendly system is good, it’s kinda sad to me to know that today’s kids will not experience what we have when we where at their age…

Fair enough. There’s definitely something magically nostalgic about hearing BIONICLE parts rattle around inside a canister. Hmmmm… maybe I’ll have fun at some point trying to design G2-style labels/artwork for a G1 canister… that would be a cool project…

1 Like

Great idea! Since I am into photoshoping a little bit myself, I might try this too!

1 Like

I really really really
really
really
REALLY
don’t care if we use the regular plastic bags. I actually like them more.

First of because they help the enviroment. Second because they are easier to make/use. Third because the “playability” that the original canister had was becoming boring quickly. OK, it is noce to have a semisphere that you could use to store some pieces on it, but that was just about it.

Not really. And they didn’t even need to have the playability. The hero factory canisters were just okay to me. Also, the boxes are really fragile and can deteriorate quickly.

Exactly. I tried to keep some boxes and plastic bags, but they just deteriorate quickly since they are not meant to last. I still have all my Hero Factory Cansiters, and I still use them today to store pieces inside.

The plastic bags are only meant to be garbage that you trow away after opening it. With the canisters… you might as well still have them after 10 years!

The point of the first canisters were to have an action feature.

The canisters were working perfectly as part containers, but it is the only constant pro I can find in every single type of them.

The point of the boxes is not to be indestructible, but to keep the interior safe until the set is bought. They are cheap, easy to produce, and recyclable, so they are very good alternatives.

That’s the point. Why would you keep plastic bags?